Departed During 2024

Lost forever.
llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Departed During 2024

#1 Post by llondel » Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:29 pm

First one in for this year, it seems. Niklaus Wirth compiled his last on 1st January.

Known for his work on various programming languages.

https://www.theregister.com/2024/01/04/ ... _obituary/

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Departed During 2024

#2 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:52 pm

David Soul, actor best known for his role in the TV series ‘Starsky & Hutch,’ dies at 80
Soul also had a successful singing career, scoring a U.S. chart-topping hit in 1977 with “Don’t Give Up on Us.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/da ... rcna132467

David Soul, an actor who rocketed to fame in the 1970s as the blonde half of the TV crime-fighting duo "Starsky and Hutch" and went on to become a successful pop singer, has died. He was 80.

"David Soul—beloved husband, father, grandfather and brother—died yesterday after a valiant battle for life in the loving company of family," the family said in a statement released Friday. "He shared many extraordinary gifts in the world as actor, singer, storyteller, creative artist and dear friend. His smile, laughter and passion for life will be remembered by the many whose lives he has touched."

Born David Richard Solberg on August 28, 1943 in Chicago, Soul was the son of a Lutheran minister and a teacher who launched his acting career as a founding member of the Firehouse Theatre Company in Minneapolis.

But Soul first gained national attention in 1967 when he appeared on "The Merv Griffin Show" as "The Covered Man," a singer who performed while wearing a mask and looked more like a bank robber than a blues belter.

Still, that led Soul to his first TV appearance on the family-friendly TV show "Flipper" and "The Covered Man" would later become the title of his 2007 autobiography.

Soul's big break came when he was cast as Detective Ken “Hutch” Hutchinson in "Starsky & Hutch" opposite Paul Michael Glaser, who played Detective Dave Starsky.

The show, which ran from 1975 to 1979, became one of the most popular TV shows of all time and turned Soul and Glaser into small-screen stars.

But Soul also had a successful singing career, scoring a U.S. chart-topping hit in 1977 with "Don't Give Up on Us." His next single "Silver Lady," was number one in the United Kingdom.

For the next decade, Soul continued to work regularly on TV. But in the 1990s, he decamped for Britain where he launched a new career as a stage actor on the West End, which is London's equivalent of Broadway.

Soul eventually made London his home, becoming a British citizen and a regular presence on British TV.

Married five times, according to various biographies, Soul fathered five sons and a daughter.

Fun fact:
I had a bit part in a TV pilot that he starred in.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081582/fu ... =ttco_ql_1

PP

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:29 pm

Cindy Morgan, ‘Tron’ and ‘Caddyshack’ star, dies
Morgan gained notoriety for her performance as blonde bombshell Lacey in the 1980 sports comedy “Caddyshack,” starring Bill Murray, Chevy Chase and Rodney Dangerfield.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ci ... rcna132715

Cindy Morgan, the actor best known for playing Lacey Underall in “Caddyshack” and Lora/Yori in Disney’s original “Tron” film, has died.

The Palm Beach County Sheriff’s office in Florida confirmed the news to the Los Angeles Times, saying Morgan died of natural causes. Officials were not able to specify when she died.

Morgan gained notoriety for her performance as blonde bombshell Lacey in the 1980 sports comedy “Caddyshack,” starring Bill Murray, Chevy Chase and Rodney Dangerfield.

“‘Caddyshack’ was my first film and I’ll say that the end product was so completely different, it was originally about the caddies,” Morgan said in a 2012 interview. “So at first, I had nothing to lose to audition. It was fun. All I did was focus on making the person sweat. Look ’em in the eye, do that thing many women know how to do.”

After guesting on such series as “The Love Boat,” “Vega$” and “Chips,” she starred in 1982’s “Tron” as computer programmer Lora Baines and Yori, her alter-ego in the sci-fi film’s computer-generated world. She returned to the “Tron” world as the voice of Ma3a in the video game “Tron 2.0,” which was released in 2003.

Morgan appeared on multiple television series throughout the ’80s and early ’90s, including “Bring ‘Em Back Alive,” “Hawaiian Heat,” “Masquerade,” “The Fall Guy,” “Tough Cookies,” “Beverly Hills Buntz,” “Falcon Crest,” “Matlock,” “Mancuso, FBI,” “Hunter” and “The Larry Sanders Show.” She also worked on TV movies such as “The Midnight’ Hour” (1985), “Solomon’s Universe” (1985), “Dead Weekend” (1995), “Amanda & the Alien” (1995) and “Out There” (1995).

Along with “Caddyshack” and “Tron,” Morgan’s film credits include 1979’s “Up Yours,” 1995’s “Galaxis” and 2006’s “Open Mic’rs.” Her most recent role was voicing Mason’s Mother in the 2022 indie film “Face of the Trinity.”

PP

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:25 pm

Franz Beckenbauer
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... er-kaiser/
RIP
I recall my U-11 football coach insisting we were to start the 1972 season playing with a sweeper, after Beckenbauer's imperious performances in winning the UEFA Tournament that summer.
I got made sweeper because I was the only one who could understand what he was on about. No other team had a clue what we were doing.
We won both League and Cup by miles, all thanks to Franz.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Woody » Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:22 pm

Wales and British and Irish Lions rugby legend JPR Williams has died at the age of 74.

The former London Welsh, Bridgend and Barbarians full-back was synonymous with Wales and the Lions' glories of the 1970s.

Williams captained Wales and Bridgend, winning 55 caps for his country.

During historic triumphant Lions tours to New Zealand in 1971 and 1974 in South Africa, Williams accumulated eight Test caps.
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:42 pm

..and of course he was part of That Try

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Karearea » Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:09 pm

"Champagne rugby" back then. A joy to watch.
Around the world thoughts shall fly In the twinkling of an eye

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Karearea » Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:43 am

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by llondel » Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:32 pm

Annie Nightingale, BBC Radio 1's first female DJ, has departed age 83. She was still broadcasting in December last year, so she had a good run.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-67955757

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:03 pm

Melanie, singer-songwriter of 'Brand New Key' and other '70s hits, dies at 76
Melanie would say in interviews that she didn't necessarily intend sexual innuendo in her song "Brand New Key," but those who heard it weren't necessarily wrong.

https://www.12news.com/article/news/nat ... 3f7adbbec8

WASHINGTON — Melanie, the singer-songwriter who rose through the New York folk scene, performed at Woodstock and had a series of 1970s hits including the enduring cultural phenomenon “Brand New Key," has died.

Her publicist Billy James told The Associated Press that Melanie died Tuesday. She was 76 and lived in central Tennessee. The cause was not immediately revealed.

“Our world is much dimmer, the colors of a dreary, rainy Tennessee pale with her absence today,” her children Leilah, Jeordie and Beau Jarred, said in a post on her Facebook page announcing her death.

With a voice that could shift from high-pitched and coy to a deep soulful rasp, Melanie wrote and sang hits including “Look What They’ve Done to My Song Ma" and “Lay Down (Candles in the Rain)."

She was best known for “Brand New Key,” a song from her 1971 album “Gather Me” that she wrote about about a girl who bikes and skates past the house of a boy she longs for. It became a No. 1 hit in the U.S. and several other countries.

With echoes of the popular songs of the ‘20s and ’30s, it combines a youthful simplicity with a winking adult sophistication in its chorus:

“Well, I’ve got a brand-new pair of roller skates, you’ve got a brand-new key, I think that we should get together, and try them on to see.”

She would say in later interviews that she didn't necessarily intend sexual innuendo in the song, but those who heard it weren't necessarily wrong.

“I probably have a quirky way of writing, and I think I was misunderstood,” she told the Tennessean newspaper in 2014. “I had this smiling, cherubic thing, and I think that worked against me. Girls with guitars who were relevant were angst-filled and angular.”

The song has had several revivals in the decades since. It had a key place in Paul Thomas Anderson's 1997 film “Boogie Nights” and was lip-synced by Jimmy Fallon on “The Tonight Show” in 2016.

Born Melanie Safka, the daughter of a jazz singer, in Queens, New York, she studied at the American Academy of Dramatic Arts and performed in the coffee houses of Greenwich Village and other New York folk hubs.

She released her self-titled debut album in 1969, and had hit songs in Europe with “Bobo's Party” and “Beautiful People.”

That summer, she was one of only three female solo performers, along with Joan Baez and Janis Joplin, to perform at the generation-defining Woodstock Music and Art Fair in upstate New York.

The candles the crowd held up during her opening-night set at the festival inspired her first U.S. hit, 1970's “Lay Down (Candles in the Rain)” which went to No. 6 on the Billboard Hot 100. That same year came “Look What They've Done to My Song Ma,” which would be covered by artists from Ray Charles to Miley Cyrus and adapted into commercial jingles for decades after.

“People in the Front Row,” a danceable jam from 1971's “Garden in the City,” got prominent placement in the most recent season of “Black Mirror.”

By the mid-1970s her popularity waned, but she would maintain a following and keep recording and playing live into the 2010s.

Melanie was married to her manager and producer Peter Schekeryk from 1968 until his death in 2010. They had three kids together.

PP

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by Woody » Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:46 pm

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:34 pm

Carl Weathers, Apollo Creed from ‘Rocky’ and ‘Mandalorian’ star, dies at 76
The beloved actor, who also had roles in "Happy Gilmore" and "Predator," died in his sleep, his family said.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/obituaries ... rcna137031

Carl Weathers, the actor best known as Apollo Creed in the “Rocky” movies and more recently for his role in the hit "Star Wars" series "The Mandalorian," died Thursday in his sleep, according to his family.

He was 76.

“We are deeply saddened to announce the passing of Carl Weathers,” according to the family statement. “Carl was an exceptional human being who lived an extraordinary life."

"Through his contributions to film, television, the arts and sports, he has left an indelible mark and is recognized worldwide and across generations," his family said. "He was a beloved brother, father, grandfather, partner, and friend.”

Weathers got his big-screen break in 1976, when he landed the role of Creed in “Rocky,” according to his bio on IMDb. He continued his role in three other “Rocky” movies. Weathers also landed parts in 1987’s "Predator," starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, in Adam Sandler’s "Happy Gilmore" in 1996 and on the small screen in “The Mandalorian.”

Weathers also was the voice for Combat Carl in "Toy Story 4" and other shorts in the beloved Disney-Pixar franchise. He also has acting credits on TV shows such as "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit," "Magnum P.I." and "Chicago P.D."

Before his decades'-long acting career took off, Weathers saw success on the gridiron. He played collegiately at San Diego State University and then played professionally for the Oakland Raiders. He retired from the sport in 1974 to seriously pursue acting, according to his biography.

Weathers was nominated for an Emmy in 2021 for Outstanding Guest Actor for the re-occurring role as Greef Karga in "The Mandalorian."

PP

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Barry John: Legendary Wales and Lions fly-half

#13 Post by Karearea » Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:23 pm

Barry John, the legendary former Cardiff, Wales and British and Irish Lions fly-half, has died aged 79.

After making his debut in 1966, John played in 25 internationals for Wales and five Tests for the Lions.

A family statement read: "Barry John died peacefully today at the University Hospital of Wales surrounded by his loving wife and four children.

"He was a loving Dadcu [grandfather] to 11 grandchildren and a much-loved brother."

Wales won three Five Nations titles, a Grand Slam and two Triple Crowns during his stint on the international stage.

John cemented his Lions legacy against the All Blacks in 1971 by playing a starring role in the historic 2-1 win over the hosts, who dubbed him 'The King'.

He retired the following year aged just 27.

John was central to Wales' 1971 Grand Slam - their first since 1952 - sealed by a 9-5 win against France in Paris, their first there for 14 years.

He made his debut as Wales lost to Australia in Cardiff in December 1966, and had to wait almost a year before partnering scrum-half Sir Gareth Edwards for the first time in a 13-6 home defeat by New Zealand.

John and his former Cardiff and Lions team-mate Edwards are regarded as one of the greatest half-back partnerships in rugby history.

Both had roots in west Wales and had the option of pursuing football careers before settling with the oval ball.

Edwards continued to flourish after John's retirement, but the loss of his half-back partner was long lamented by fans globally.

John finished with 120 points for Wales and the Lions in his 30 internationals, but was a rugby genius that amounted to so much more than facts and figures.

John is the second Welsh 1970s legend who has died this year following the passing of full-back JPR Williams.

Tributes flowed in the wake of his passing. Welsh Rugby Union president Terry Cobner believes John is probably the greatest Wales fly-half.

"To be crowned 'The King' in New Zealand when every back row forward in both the North and South Islands is trying to take your head off is quite some accolade," said Cobner, the former Wales and Lions flanker.

"For me, he has got to be right up there among the greatest outside halves who have ever played the game, probably the greatest.

"He was a glider, rather than a sidestepper, who had a subtle change of pace and direction. Coming on top of the recent deaths of Brian Price and JPR Williams, this is another huge blow for Welsh rugby.

"After what he did for Wales and the Lions in 1971, those of us who followed him into both teams always felt we had huge shoes to fill. He was and will remain a legend of our game."

Former Wales fly-half Jonathan Davies also paid his respects.

"To be nicknamed 'The King', I think that says it all, especially in New Zealand," said Davies.

"I was very fortunate, I met Barry when I was very young. I went to the same school as Barry, obviously not at the same time.

"He was a legend, from the day I walked into those school gates.

"He had a grace and a style about him and certainly left a mark on the game.

"He was such a rugby intellect, to sit with him over a coffee and have a chat, pearls of wisdom would come out.

"Even when I was playing I used to meet him and he would advise me on a few things, it was great to sit there and listen to him.

"It's very sad. He was just a great player and a lovely man."

Former Wales and Lions captain Sam Warburton said John spanned the generations.

"In Wales, I can't express how high a regard people hold that 70s group, and in particular, people like Barry John, who was an absolute God of Welsh rugby," said Warburton.

"I heard the news today and it completely shocks you.

"What he contributed to the game, even now, 50 years later, still transcends rugby across the world and he hasn't picked up a ball for 50 years.

"It's just sheer testament to how much influence he had on the game when he played, but a massive loss and very sad news."

John's past teams commemorated one of their finest players.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/68170605

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by Karearea » Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:10 pm

Barry John: Wales rugby union legend known as 'The King' [1:27]

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#15 Post by k3k3 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:12 pm

Ian Lavender, Private Pike in Dad's Army, has died aged 77. He was the last of the original cast.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by Woody » Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:33 pm

k3k3 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:12 pm
Ian Lavender, Private Pike in Dad's Army, has died aged 77. He was the last of the original cast.
Has to be done

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by tango15 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:54 pm

Also Michael Jayston, an actor of the old-school, with a very soothing voice, which led to him producing a lot of audiobooks. There is much reference to his parts in Only Fools and Horses; this was but a fraction of the roles he played.

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by Karearea » Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:30 pm

k3k3 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:12 pm
Dad's Army was perfectly cast and memorably funny. Every actor played their part to perfection including the "stupid boy".

Thank you for the memories; rest in peace, Ian Lavender.

Well done, Pike... Stand down

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by Woody » Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:26 pm

He could never get away from that one line :-bd

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:53 pm

Country singer Toby Keith dies at 62
The “Should’ve Been a Cowboy” singer died Monday night surrounded by his family, a short statement said.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/to ... rcna137412

Country music icon Toby Keith has died, his official website and social media accounts said early Tuesday, 18 months after he revealed he had stomach cancer.

He was 62.

The "Should've Been a Cowboy" singer died Monday night surrounded by his family, a short statement said. "He fought his fight with grace and courage," it added.

Keith announced that he was living with cancer in June 2022 and in September last year, he spoke of the "roller coaster" experience of going through treatment.

"You get good days and, you know, you’re up and down, up and down. It’s always zero to 60 and 60 to zero but I feel good today," Keith told E! News ahead of receiving the Country Icon Award at the People’s Choice Country Awards.

Keith continued to record and perform through his illness, appearing live over three nights in Las Vegas in December. Visibly thin but in good voice, Keith sang many of his 32 No. 1 hits and 42 Top 10 hits, according to his official website.

"3 sold out shows in Vegas was a damn good way to end the year," he wrote on Instagram.

In June 2022, Keith said he had been receiving chemotherapy, radiation treatment and surgery. He told the Oklahoman newspaper last year that the tumor had shrunk by a third.

Born in Clinton, Oklahoma, and raised in Moore, a suburb of Oklahoma City, Keith emerged as a country artist in the early 1990s and went on to become an icon of the genre. He sold between 25 million and 30 million records in the United States, depending on varying estimates, and his songs had more than 10 billion digital streaming plays.

The Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum remembered Keith as someone who was “big, brash, and never bowed down or slowed down for anyone.”

“His story is a distinctly American one — a former roughneck oil worker who carved out his own space in country music with a sinewy voice and an unbending will to succeed. He wrote his breakthrough songs and later formed his own record label when he felt underserved by Nashville,” the statement read. “He relished being an outsider and doing things his way. Proudly patriotic, he didn’t mind if his clear-cut convictions ruffled your feathers. For three decades, he reflected the defiant strength of the country music audience. His memory will continue to stand tall.”

One of Keith's breakthrough songs certainly ruffled feathers, both within the country music realm and outside of it. In 2002, following the 9/11 terror attacks, Keith released "Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue (The Angry American)." In the song, he warns, "you’ll be sorry that you messed with the U.S. of A. / 'cause we’ll put a boot in your ass / it’s the American way."

"I wrote it so that I had something to play for our fighting men and women," he told TIME magazine in 2004. He played it at the U.S. Naval Academy, and it was a huge hit. But, Keith noted, "once people said I should release it, I knew there was going to be trouble."

The song led to a spat with the Dixie Chicks when lead singer Natalie Maines called the song "ignorant" in a 2002 interview. The feud escalated after Maines said onstage in 2003 that she was ashamed to be from then-U.S. President George W. Bush's home state of Texas. At his concerts that year, Keith showed a doctored photo of Maines with an image of Saddam Hussein. Maines responded by wearing a shirt with "FUTK" onstage at the ACM Awards, which many believed was a vulgar message to Keith.

That same year, Keith walked out of the ACM Awards early because he had gotten snubbed in earlier categories, causing him to miss out when he was announced as entertainer of the year. He came back in 2004 and won the top prize for a second year in a row, along with top male vocalist and album of the year for “Shock ’n Y’all.”

Keith's most recent album, "100% Songwriter," was released in November.

His first single, "Should've Been a Cowboy," was written in a motel bathroom in Dodge City, Kansas.

Taken from his self-titled debut album, it came out in 1993 and shot to the top of the country charts in the United States and Canada, going on to become one of the most-played tunes on radio throughout the 1990s and beyond.

His other hits included “Beer for My Horses,” a duet with Willie Nelson, “I Love This Bar” and “Red Solo Cup.”

PP