Queen's Flight

Capetonian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Queen's Flight

#1 Post by Capetonian » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:37 am

This article was in the latest Brooklands Bulletin and I thought would be of interest to the Ex-As as well as others here.
Sorry for the poor quality of the second page but I had to resize it to allow the site to accept it.
Queen's Flight.jpg
Queen's Flight 02.jpg
One thing you can say for the French, when civilization falls they have less far to fall than everyone else.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

Re: Queen's Flight

#2 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:50 pm

Thanks for that Cape. He is wearing well. Last time we communicated he was complaining about his pension and trying to maintain his wife's gee gees. He has been doing these talks for many years. On The Queen's Flight you had to be a QFI to be a Captain as you often flew with HRH PP or HRH PC in the LHS. I was a F/O not a QFI so even though they offered me an extension to see the HS146 in I wanted to go onto the VC10 to get a command (It was your choice of posting after The Queen's Flight but they wanted me to go to CFS.). Graham was instrumental in getting me onto The Queen's Flight (long story) and getting me my choice of posting afterwards. He said and I quote, 'He is a brilliant pilot but would make a useless instructor'. so very true on the latter don't know about the former. He persuaded them to post me to 10 Sqn to go into the Royal and Ministerial long haul role for which they had three crews. So that is what happened. That gentleman was one of the principle officers responsible for a great Royal Air Force career for me. I only did 14 years in the role though not his 20.

I learnt a hell of a lot about Royal flying from the four Capts there but especially Graham. real cool guy. Always wore a baseball cap at weekends on the flight deck as he reckoned that it was his time to relax. B-) =))

Tried to find a photo of us with HRH PC but I think the only one is on the wall in Amorgos. Could only find a drinking one which is second best. or maybe better. Mombassa April 1984. Left to right, back row to front: Grd Eng, Grd Eng, Steward, Grd Eng, Rozzer (sorry, flight security officer). Crew Chief, Capt, Nav, and a young Ex-Ascot.

Mrs Ex-Ascot knew Graham well, he always used to go up to the control tower at NHT when he was there. In fact it was her that controlled him in with the late HRH The Princess of Wales on that dreadful day.
Attachments
Crew.jpg
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.