Farnborough 2020...

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Farnborough 2020...

#1 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:37 pm

Farnborough 2020 has rolled around and I am going to attend one of the trade days. The public weekend has been canned due to what can only be termed a 'crise de nerfs' resulting from the fall out from the Shoreham disaster resulting in a very anemic display on the public days last time around which was, rightly, pilloried.

I am always delighted to go to a Farnborough show, display or not, as I find all facets of aviation fascinating and would, just as well spend hours discussing the fabrication of a turbofan as stand craning upwards watching the daring do in the sky, but it is a shame that the general public, who have savored the displays over the years, will not to be attending this year and this sad outcome is definitely a diminution of the great Farnborough tradition running from the 1950's.

I was looking at the history of the display and see that it weathered the John Derry disaster and other accidents without cancellations etc. and in the process came across this serious accident which I had hitherto been unaware of.

Breguet 1150 Atlantic Farnborough 1968

On a happier note

Will any other ops-normalisers be attending this year?
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Farnborough 2020...

#2 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:06 pm

We were there the following day, as we did a tight turn over the hangar the Hurricane on the port wing was very close to the hole.

We had never before done a 3-ship display, not even a practice. The best was the formation flight in from Benson. Post flight the Hurricane pilot was quite calm and asked if we could do it a little higher the next day.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by G-CPTN » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:08 pm

I took my adult son to Farnborough 2008.
I had acquired 'VIP' tickets, so we had grandstand seats right next to the runway.
The Vulcan was there and when it rotated and climbed I was in tears to see, hear, and feel it again after so many years.
It was the first time that my son had experienced a Vulcan in any form, and he agreed that it was sensational.

Last year (2019) he returned the favour with a trip to RIAT.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:14 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:08 pm
I took my adult son to Farnborough 2008.

The Vulcan was there and when it rotated and climbed I was in tears to see, hear, and feel it again after so many years.
It was the first time that my son had experienced a Vulcan in any form, and he agreed that it was sensational.

Last year (2019) he returned the favour with a trip to RIAT.
Like your son, 2008 was the first time I had ever seen a flying Vulcan... I felt privileged to see same.

My son has yet to pay to allow me to attend anything! :))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:23 pm

I was looking at the prospectus for this year's show and this startup outfit is looking for investors!
Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is collaborating with aircraft designer and manufacturer AERALIS to develop a new family of training jet aircraft using a patent-pending modular design.

Together, the organisations will design two types of modular aircraft – the Basic Trainer and the Advanced Trainer – which will provide training, from cadet to front-line pilot, for the most advanced combat aircraft systems currently in development.

Each aircraft will comprise a common core fuselage that will be fully adaptable using different wings and engines depending on the level of training being undertaken. It is expected that the acquisition and maintenance of the family of training jets will cost 30% less than a conventional flight training system thanks to the modular design affording an 85% commonality in aircraft parts.

Atkins, who have been at the forefront of aerospace design for 30 years, will be advising on the design of the jets, using a digital twin to explore different design concepts for the fuselage and its interchangeable components.
The aircraft and ancillary computer simulators and software are so much vapourware at the moment of course.

Pie in the sky? Too flexible to be true?

https://aeralis.com/aeralis-and-atkins- ... -aircraft/

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:35 pm

The young chap in the video above says they are looking to develop the new aircraft in the two year time frame it took to develop the Hawk!

https://www.aerosociety.com/media/4842/ ... -story.pdf
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Alisoncc » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:50 pm

I understand that Farnborough 2020 is being amalgamated with the UK's 2020 Funeral Directors convention, and will be held in a caravan at Skegness this year. :(
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:14 am

Alisoncc wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:50 pm
I understand that Farnborough 2020 is being amalgamated with the UK's 2020 Funeral Directors convention, and will be held in a caravan at Skegness this year. :(
Yes that may well be the outcome given this plague year!
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:58 pm

Plagued by bad jokes

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:05 pm

Show now cancelled. What a tedious year this is turning into.
It is with great regret that we announce the Farnborough International Airshow 2020, due to take place in July, is cancelled.

After very careful consideration, the unprecedented impact of the global Coronavirus pandemic has forced this decision in the interests of the health and safety of our exhibitors, visitors, contractors and staff.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."