Jabiru

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

Jabiru

#1 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:16 pm

OK, waiting for the spec and details but does anyone have knowledge or experience of this aircraft. We have never heard of it.

https://www.jabiru.co.za/

It is sitting here on the tarmac for sale. Looks like exactly what we are looking for. Yet to see it. Seen photos. 1,196 air frame hours 196 engine hours since company rebuild whatever that means.

Just got e-mail: My aircraft is the J250 which is the same as a J430 but with rear seats removed.

Answers on a post card please.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Jabiru

#2 Post by Cacophonix » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:03 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:16 pm
OK, waiting for the spec and details but does anyone have knowledge or experience of this aircraft. We have never heard of it.

It is sitting here on the tarmac for sale. Looks like exactly what we are looking for. Yet to see it. Seen photos. 1,196 air frame hours 196 engine hours since company rebuild whatever that means.

Just got e-mail: My aircraft is the J250 which is the same as a J430 but with rear seats removed.

Answers on a post card please.
Haven't flown the Jabiru, but if you are looking in this kind of market I recommend a look at the South African produced Bushbaby as well. The BB is the most fun you can have with or without your jodpurs on, I can vouch for that having flown one. Can use Jabiru engine(s) which are well considered by the way.

http://kitplanesforafrica.co.za/

See here for some good partisan gen. and comparisons etc.

https://www.avcom.co.za/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=24247

Caco

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#3 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:54 pm

Caco, Many thanks but the question is availability here. I have contacted many S.A. companies about 172s but they have not replied. This thing is sitting on deck here. The owner is an engineer who we know quite well. He is Rhodesian. He says that it is very easy to maintain. Me not good with spanners but he says that he can do it for us. Just need to know if it is an OK aircraft. Will probably see it next week then obviously need to fly it.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:33 am

I recall some problem with the Jabiru engines here in NZ many years ago, but regret that I can't recall the detail, and there aren't that many around, the Tecnam and Alpi models came along around the same time and were more popular. The engines in question came from Oz. Think it was something to do with how the prop. was bolted on ?

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Cacophonix » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:11 am

ExSp33db1rd wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:33 am
I recall some problem with the Jabiru engines here in NZ many years ago, but regret that I can't recall the detail, and there aren't that many around, the Tecnam and Alpi models came along around the same time and were more popular. The engines in question came from Oz. Think it was something to do with how the prop. was bolted on ?

Report on Jabiru reliability

Jabiru riposte/comment

A friend flies a Bush Baby with one of the Jabiru engines and is very happy with it but one, like with all aircraft, needs to keep abreast with AD's and maintenance checks etc.

Caco

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Woody » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:01 am

Not sure where you’re going to fit the missiles and cannons to take out any locals playing “ jungle bunny “ music on the lagoon sah!
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Cacophonix » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:33 am

Personally, if I were Ex-Ascot, I would buy a Robinson R22 to wage war on the natives.... =))

So much easier for getting in and out quickly!

Caco

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Cacophonix » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:44 am

Cacophonix wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:33 am
Personally, if I were Ex-Ascot, I would buy a Robinson R22 to wage war on the natives.... =))

So much easier for getting in and out quickly!

Caco
An old school colleague who runs a sky-diving school outside Cape Town flies (and instructs) in one of these...

Easy to fly an ideal for a quick conversion for a fixed wing wallah like Ex-Ascot. Mark is a superb fixed wing stick and rudder guy, safety officer for SA parachuting and flies his own Cessna's etc. at the drop zone as well. ;)))

http://www.sagpa.co.za/learn-to-fly/gyro-instructors
RAF 2000.jpg
Super fun running at low level down Bloubergstrand Beach at 50 foot looking at the peaches on the beaches...

Ex-Ascot what does an ex RAF chap like you say to the RAF2000 gyrocopter? You can even fit missiles to supress the natives... (vide. Ken Wallis)…

Caco

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#9 Post by k3k3 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:03 pm

I don't understand why car engines can go for 100,000 km needing only oil changes and possibly a cam belt change, but lightly stressed aero engines fall apart in next to no time.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by Cacophonix » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:20 pm

k3k3 wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:03 pm
I don't understand why car engines can go for 100,000 km needing only oil changes and possibly a cam belt change, but lightly stressed aero engines fall apart in next to no time.
Of course some aircraft do use car engines, like the RAF2000 gyrocopter, pictured above, which uses the horizontally opposed Subaru engine to drive the prop at the back.

Truth is the average light aircraft engine, like the Lycoming for example, is very reliable and is built to be light, unlike car engines that can be a little overengineered and slightly heavier and more rugged (but not much these days) than an aero engine. Aviation manufacturing regulations and certification standards are higher and maintenance frequencies stricter for aircraft. It is not as if you can just stop in the air, like you can in a car if some minor engine niggle intrudes during flight.

Aircraft engines are also designed for constant running at a relatively constant load as opposed to car engines which operate using a much broader torque curve for stopping, starting and accelerating etc.

Caco

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by Cacophonix » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:50 pm

I think that a nice thing about the Jibaru is the tricycle gear. The Bush Baby requires more finesse to land as a tail dragger and the ground loop always waits although the aircraft has good rudder authority.

Here a Jibaru pilot in New Zealand shows how not to take off after having landed on a beach after "engine trouble"...,

Caco

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#12 Post by k3k3 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:24 pm

Caco

It is the fact that aero engines are used in such a controlled environment that makes me wonder about their relative reliability, they are never started and thrashed from cold, as you say once in the cruise they are normally run at a constant load which should improve reliability. The report on Jabiru engine through bolts failing is something that would be scandalous in today's motor industry, 500 hours at an average of 40mph is 20,000 miles.

As for Subaru, the smoothest running engine I ever owned was 3 litre flat six in a Subaru Legacy, with the bonnet open the only sound you could hear was the auxiliary belts zishing round, I sold it at around 300,000 km, I still regret it even though the steering wheel is on the wrong side for where I now live.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by Cacophonix » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:16 pm

k3k3 wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:24 pm
Caco

It is the fact that aero engines are used in such a controlled environment that makes me wonder about their relative reliability, they are never started and thrashed from cold, as you say once in the cruise they are normally run at a constant load which should improve reliability. The report on Jabiru engine through bolts failing is something that would be scandalous in today's motor industry, 500 hours at an average of 40mph is 20,000 miles.

As for Subaru, the smoothest running engine I ever owned was 3 litre flat six in a Subaru Legacy, with the bonnet open the only sound you could hear was the auxiliary belts zishing round, I sold it at around 300,000 km, I still regret it even though the steering wheel is on the wrong side for where I now live.
The highlighted point is a fair one and does beg questions about the Jabiru engine(s) k3k3.

As for the Subaru engine, on the day that I was given a flight in the RAF2000, the engine was being fettled beforehand and I was amazed to see a simple plastic tie being used to organise the electrical cabling to the EMU, where I would have expected a heat resistant aircraft grade metal component but overall the engine was smooth and very quiet as you say. The owner said he had never experienced any issues.

Caco

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by ian16th » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:31 pm

Modern Jap-Crap car engines are made by computer controlled machine tools, to tolerances not even dreamed of in the 1960's.

This gives reliability of a level also not even dreamed of in those days.
Cynicism improves with age

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#15 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:06 am

Thanks for the inputs guys. OK I have the spec now. Again answers on a post card.
I have attached some photos of my plane which is modeled as a Jabiru J250 same body as a J430 but no rear seats.

Manufactured in George South Africa in 2004, total time 1196 hours, engine and propeller 196 hours since factory rebuild and general refurbishment.

Registered in Botswana under experimental category which allows owner to do their own maintenance which is a fraction of the cost of a commercial aircraft.

Flies on "mogas" 95 octane at cruise - 100 knots burning 25 liters an hour with 5 hours endurance. (longer with auxiliary tank)

Instruments include standard VFR " steam" gauges with Fuel flow monitor, 6 channel EGT and CHT monitor, Garmin 196 GPS, Garmin avionics including transponder, GPS type ELT, two way intercom with music input.

Comes with a fresh permit to fly.

Reason for selling - investing in a 6 sleeper houseboat!

Asking P280,000 (two hundred and eighty thousand) no VAT.
This is about 20,000 GBP
Attachments
779.jpg
788.jpg

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by Cacophonix » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:31 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:06 am
Thanks for the inputs guys. OK I have the spec now. Again answers on a post card.
I have attached some photos of my plane which is modeled as a Jabiru J250 same body as a J430 but no rear seats.

Manufactured in George South Africa in 2004, total time 1196 hours, engine and propeller 196 hours since factory rebuild and general refurbishment.

Registered in Botswana under experimental category which allows owner to do their own maintenance which is a fraction of the cost of a commercial aircraft.

Flies on "mogas" 95 octane at cruise - 100 knots burning 25 liters an hour with 5 hours endurance. (longer with auxiliary tank)

Instruments include standard VFR " steam" gauges with Fuel flow monitor, 6 channel EGT and CHT monitor, Garmin 196 GPS, Garmin avionics including transponder, GPS type ELT, two way intercom with music input.

Comes with a fresh permit to fly.

Reason for selling - investing in a 6 sleeper houseboat!

Asking P280,000 (two hundred and eighty thousand) no VAT.
This is about 20,000 GBP

Sounds like a good deal Ex-Ascot. Get a registered engineer to check her out. Check the paperwork, fly the little beauty and if it all checks out, offer him about £2000.00 less than the asking price and let the fun and haggling begin.

Good luck. I am envious.

Caco

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#17 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:14 pm

Thanks Caco. Going to look at it on Thursday. Have got two aircraft engineers lined up to look over it. One licenced one not.

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#18 Post by k3k3 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:19 pm

Can it be used to drop things that go bang on the NR who's causing you grief? If the answer is yes, then buy it.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#19 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:04 pm

k3k3 wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:19 pm
Can it be used to drop things that go bang on the NR who's causing you grief? If the answer is yes, then buy it.
Good idea, his ugly girlfriend who used to work/steal/laze around for us. If she hit the ground on her face a terminal velocity there would be no change in her features. Perhaps she was born in an air ambulance and shot out of the door.

K3, you are not 'the' K3 are you? Initials GW. If not I may have to PM you with the significance. I am PDR.

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#20 Post by k3k3 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:08 pm

Sorry but no, I think GW was the other injun.