School pupils build a Eurofox kit aircraft.....

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: School pupils build a Eurofox kit aircraft.....

#21 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:58 pm

Murray Gell Mann was a linguistics prodigy, but switched to physics and won a Nobel Prize for it.

I think many clever people can do both, and there are a fair few here which makes the forum very interesting, but it's more a question of what one prefers to do, and which one can see a career in.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: School pupils build a Eurofox kit aircraft.....

#22 Post by Cacophonix » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:17 am

Gell-Mann also writes very well and has the knack of making even very complex subjects accessible to laymen without being condescending or, worse, simplifying the subject at hand to the level of science for idiots!

His book ‘The Quark And the Jaguar: Adventures in the Simple and the Complex’ is well worth a read and I look forward to his follow up works on the Tornado and the Typhoon. ;)))

If he has a fault it is that he loves nothing better than talking about Murray Gell-Mann but as he is also a very interesting guy this is not too much of a sin either.

You often find that the ability to write lucidly and imaginatively goes hand in hand with excellence in other subjects. My English tutor, J M Coetzee, was also very good at mathematics and I undertook a course on the theory of generative grammars run by him that involved network theory which he rendered explicable and interesting. He had, in his youth, worked here in the UK for IBM where he was involved in running computer routines to solve complex equations on the aerodynamics of the TSR2 aircraft that was then under development.

Caco