Chief Pilot

Jet hoverboard across the Channel

#1 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:57 am

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

Re: Jet hoverboard across the Channel

#2 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:36 pm

Don't really understand this. Where does the lift come from. Has he got downward pointing jets?
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:11 pm

Yes, 5 of them in an 'X' configuration. since he can hover, he also has some of the problems and solutions used by the Harrier. He takes off from a raised platform to avoid re-ingestion problems. There also appear to be some small manoeuvring ducted props, presumably acting like puffer ducts for fine control.
The biggest problem was the balance and control algorithm, apparently. I imagine it alters the thrust of the four corner jets to achieve control, probably running some sort of Kalman filter, and three or six axis solid state gyros like drones do. The only stated hand control is thrust, so the rest is done by body balance, like a segway. I would guess yaw does have something on the hand controller also, and that is what at least some of the ducted props are for.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Boac » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:14 pm

Fox wrote:There also appear to be some small manoeuvring ducted props, presumably acting like puffer ducts for fine control.
- that's a relief.... I wondered what sort of 'puffer jet' he would be using....I don't think I'd be short of 'emissions' riding that thing :))

Sisemen

#5 Post by Sisemen » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:17 pm

Bloody amazing - whatever he’s on!

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:24 pm

He's on about 25 litres of fuel. I would guess the jets are 50-60lb thrust class, which would give him the stated 10-ish minutes endurance. He has a parachute.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Boac » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:24 pm

Not sure at that height what good a parachute would do apart from drag him under the water? [-X

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:36 pm

Reportedly he can reach 9,000 ft agl.
It looks like a BASE jumping 'chute pack to me, so anything above 200 ft gives him a reasonable chance (possibly lower)

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Boac » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:06 pm

Reportedly he can reach 9,000 ft agl.
- I think he would be unwise to try 'body balancing' at that height - like hovering the bonajet, you need good visual cues from nearby ground.

How does a base parachute work to allow low-level deployment? Is it cartridge or spring powered? To fully deploy a canopy from 1-200' would take some doing! I know SF have 'explosive' canopy devices - does he?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:09 pm

Agreed. His hand controller appeared to have a few other buttons on it other than the trigger-style throttle. Maybe one of them's a stay-upright button. He has a forearm mounted display, so that could give him an artificial AH from the control computer (I have written my own Kalman filter for a balancing robot, so I know this is straightforward). It would also be possible to incorporate a thumbwheel which would enable the equivalent of a wings level, variable pitch to be selected rather than have the computer working it out from what his feet are doing with his CG. This would have obvious benefits should he inadvertently end up IMC. Both of these aids would need to be programmed for the unmanned testing he has presumably already done.
I've not BASE jumped, just normal skydives, but I have seen a rig. They normally are bigger, and are opened rapidly by hand-deploying a larger pilot chute. I would guess he has a hybrid like you suggest, with a spring-loaded pilot 'chute as a normal reserve 'chute has, connected to a larger BASE 'chute.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:53 pm

Jetman now has a couple of wingmen