Silence SA1100 Twister Crash 2017 reviewed

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Silence SA1100 Twister Crash 2017 reviewed

#1 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:43 am

A question here for aerobats or fans of aerobatics who may remember the unfortunate display accident that occurred during the Twister display team's aerobatic sequence at Abingdon in 2017.

https://www.aviation-safety.net/wikibase/type/TWST

I had had the pleasure of seeing the Twister team display before at Farnborough and had been mightily impressed and was very sorry to hear about and see clips of the accident that befell one of the team at the Abingdon show. Most of the clips at the time just showed the accident sequence which also demonstrated the enormous strength of the aircraft and the skill of the pilot who, despite his success in getting the crippled aircraft down, was injured in the very hard landing.

I recently came across this clip of most of that ill-fated display sequence by the duo and it became clear that this accident had been brewing for a while during the latter part of the display. Surely the team had had enough clues fairly early on to say "knock it off"?

Easy for me to say from the comfort of my armchair with 20/20 hindsight I know but here's the clip for those who are interested in these things!

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."