ADS-B RNAV or ILS...

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

ADS-B RNAV or ILS...

#1 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:57 pm

These AOPA videos are excellent although this one is pretty depressing...

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

5G wireless networks again.

#2 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat May 09, 2020 8:50 am

It seems it is not just the internet moronosphere, that encompasses lurid and insane conspiracy theories about 5G masts etc., who are concerned about the impact of 5G in the USA.
The Federal Communications Commission’s approval of a 5G wireless network that critics say could overpower GPS signals on adjacent frequencies came in for sharp scrutiny in a hearing held by the Senate Armed Services Committee May 6.

Committee Chairman Sen. Jim Inhofe (R-Okla.) said his committee’s focus was to spotlight the national security implications of the network proposal being advanced by Reston, Virginia-based Ligado Networks.

Ligado is proposing a terrestrial wireless network that would mostly support Internet of Things service as the successor of LightSquared, a venture that went bankrupt in 2012 while pursuing network approval in the face of strong resistance—especially from the aviation sector.

Senators on the committee pressed a panel of military and government expert witnesses on the procedures the FCC followed in approving the network license on April 20, how the license approval might be reconsidered, and what could happen to Ligado’s bandwidth if the company opted to sell its place on the L-band to another service provider rather than develop the proposed network.

Several senators, citing their need to better grasp technical aspects of the issue, sought explanations of how the conflicts posed for GPS could be caused by both the power and the position on the electromagnetic spectrum of the Ligado transmissions. Dana Deasy, the chief information officer for the Department of Defense, likened the difficulty of receiving GPS signals that reach the ground from space at very low power while a wireless network operates on nearby frequencies to trying to pick out the rustling of leaves over the noise of jet engines.

The senators’ concerns—including the possibility of intentional GPS interference by a military adversary of the United States—were a clear indication that the objections to Ligado raised by the Department of Defense, the National Defense Industrial Association, and a coalition of organizations including AOPA were registering with committee members.

The industry coalition—made up of airlines, aviation and science associations, engineers, scientists, and more—made their case in a letter to the committee’s leadership, noting problem areas of the Ligado plan in national security, public safety, the economy, and regulatory matters.

“For these reasons and many more, we are strongly urging the FCC to stay and reconsider its decisions on Ligado,” it said. More organizations were signing onto the letter even as the hearing proceeded.

AOPA has long opposed any network plan that could threaten GPS reception until technical issues are satisfactorily resolved.

“Experts note that the impacts caused by GPS interference as a result of the FCC decision would not only have negative impacts on our nation’s military but also on millions of general aviation operations each year,” said AOPA President Mark Baker in a statement issued in advance of the hearing. “Given the apparent safety and national security issues involved with this decision, we believe the FCC should immediately rescind this order until concerns are fully addressed and agreed upon by all parties involved.”

A growing number of senators, who recently returned to Washington, D.C., are signing onto a letter of their own opposing the FCC decision, including several who did so after the hearing, said AOPA Senior Vice President of Government Affairs Jim Coon.
US AOPA
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: ADS-B RNAV or ILS...

#3 Post by Boac » Sat May 09, 2020 10:54 am

I don't know about 5g, but 4g caused significant problems in the UK, being only a few Mhz above TV channels - so maybe they had a point?

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat May 09, 2020 12:25 pm

Boac wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 10:54 am
I don't know about 5g, but 4g caused significant problems in the UK, being only a few Mhz above TV channels - so maybe they had a point?
It is not just AOPA who are feeling worried and aggrieved, the National Weather Service's satellite system is under threat from 5G too and Trump, is also in there supporting his cronies at InAccuweather... as ever, greed trumps commonsense with these wretched people.
“Weather forecasters say there’s not much they can do to protect themselves if 5G winds up being a noisy neighbor since the water vapor molecules they track naturally emit a slight radio signal right around 24GHz,” the Verge reports. Delegates at the industry’s World Radiocommunication Conference voted for much looser restrictions than weather organizations have suggested and even begged for.

The tiny beeps from water vapor could be swamped by 5G signals in the same frequency, like how one radio station overpowers another as you drive away. The water vapor will always be a very weak station, and the fact that it emits any amount of radio signal has made much of weather data collection possible. Scientists and officials asked for a certain amount of guaranteed space around the water vapor frequency but had it greatly reduced by the industry group.

It’s been a tough few years for both the NOAA and National Weather Service (NWS), beginning when President Trump nominated the CEO of private competitor AccuWeather to lead the NWS in 2017. Although companies like AccuWeather rely on the massive pipeline of public NWS data, they’ve worked hard to hobble the NWS from offering that data to the general public at all.
https://www.popularmechanics.com/scienc ... atellites/

Maybe when they have returned the coverage available to them to the state of art as it was in the early 1960's, they will issue sharpies and ask Trump to do the forecasting for them. Useless feckers...

Making America grate again...
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Boac » Sat May 09, 2020 1:31 pm

I do not understand the issue - as far as I can tell, 5g in the US starts at 25Ghz and there is a lot at 28. Have they heard of filters?

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat May 09, 2020 2:01 pm

Boac wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 1:31 pm
I do not understand the issue - as far as I can tell, 5g in the US starts at 25Ghz and there is a lot at 28. Have they heard of filters?
Mea culpa, I must admit that I haven't looked at the full technical detail here, but now I will have to, as I should have done earlier, oh Sphinx...

As you never watch the videos that I submit, I will find, read and devour the relevant scientific papers and then spend hours arguing with you thereafter... :))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Boac » Sat May 09, 2020 2:26 pm

TGG wrote:As you never watch the videos that I submit
tsk tsk. Ah do and I lurv them all. A lot of people know that.