Elusive."

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: I want one!

#2 Post by Woody » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:27 pm

Just found out about this, so I thought I’d put a link to the website :-bd

https://terrafugia.com/
When all else fails, read the instructions.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by G-CPTN » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:31 pm

(upwards of) 200 grand.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:13 pm

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:24 am

Pipistrel Panthera....

https://www.pipistrel-aircraft.com/airc ... /panthera/

Demoed at Fun and Sun this year...

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by CharlieOneSix » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:49 pm

The all-electric Polestar 2 - just been advised test drives will soon be available in Scotland, having been available for some time at locations in England. Superb write-ups in the motoring press and on Youtube. Planned to be my next car in a couple of years after I sell my A6 Allroad. 0-62mph in 4.7 seconds for the dual motor version. My kind of drive - okay, I know you won't go far if you continually do that and drive it like a boy racer!
polestar 2.jpg
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

I don't want one of these, but ....

#7 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:13 pm

A couple of years ago we seriously considered making a massive investment and buying our own aeroplane to do some serious Grand Touring. With a bit of financial engineering and selling a few assets which don't give us much pleasure or generate much income, we can make the necessary provision to do it.

We whittled down the shortlist to just two types: TBM940 and DA62, neither of which I've ever flown or even sat in.

In February of last year a wee spikey spherical thing put the kybosh of that pipedream and we've not thought any more of it since then.

This week we've been invited to add the DA50NG to that list.

Here's a puff-piece for it.

Granted: she looks gorgeous, but the tech specs are unimpressive in comparison to the '62.

She's got less speed; less of a climb rate; less range.

Where will they put the wx radome?

What is the contingency plan for an engine failure? I like the idea of having two alternators per engine, which the '62 doesn't have, but being reliant on a single piston engine on serious long distance trips overwater or over-desert would not feel good. It's an ugly but unavoidable fact of life that piston-whackers just aren't as dependable as gas turbine engines. The PT6 on the TBM is extraordinarily reliable for a prop engine. It'll be a long time before a big Continental will ever get anywhere close to that track record.

Even if this god-damned virus situation ever subsides worldwide, which I greatly doubt in the first half of this decade, I don't think I'll be accepting an invitation for a demo flight in a 50NG. The 62: yes, certainly, some day. The TBM: maybe, if I can find a way of financing the bugger without having to eat oats and neeps for a decade, but for the intended purpose that we have in mind for (probably) the 62 I don't think that this thing cuts the mustard.

Nice looking aeroplane, though.

ribrash

#8 Post by ribrash » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:37 pm

Surely you could buy one with the loose change you carry in your hip pocket UP,that you keep telling us about.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:32 pm

There's nothing hip about my pocket. It's very conservative, y'know. Rather 'square', actually.

larsssnowpharter
Capt
Capt

#10 Post by larsssnowpharter » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:07 pm

Here's my want; the Stemme S12. Have flown the S10 and this improves an already great aircraft.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by Woody » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:11 pm

My want is a bit more basic :D

When all else fails, read the instructions.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:26 pm

larsssnowpharter wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:07 pm
Here's my want; the Stemme S12. Have flown the S10 and this improves an already great aircraft.

Taking up a collection for one. ;)))
Contact me by PM for fund transfers. ^:)^
A Go Fund Me site will also help. :-bd

PP

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by barkingmad » Wed May 10, 2023 2:31 pm

I must admit this interesting craft, in the hangar, looks from the front like a miniature De Haviland Victor cockpit but unrolls to reveal a natty piece of aviation kit which might revolutionise that sector;

If the Diesel-engined version is as quiet and rattle free as the Diamonds are, then it gets my vote though the visibility from the sharp end might not be optimal.

However, talking about hydrogen and/or battery versions will have me taking my chequebook elsewhere... :O3

And it’s a good plug for the Climate Emergency crowd... ~X(

But I can’t remember at any time during my >19k flying hours imagining I was penetrating the air... =))

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by G-CPTN » Wed May 10, 2023 3:24 pm

barkingmad wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 2:31 pm
looks from the front like a miniature De Haviland Victor cockpit but unrolls to reveal a natty piece of aviation kit which might revolutionise that sector;
Wasn't the 'Victor' the product of Handley Page?

Just saying . . .

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by barkingmad » Wed May 10, 2023 4:11 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 3:24 pm
barkingmad wrote:
looks from the front like a miniature De Haviland Victor cockpit but unrolls to reveal a natty piece of aviation kit which might revolutionise that sector;
Wasn't the 'Victor' the product of Handley Page?

Just saying . . .
Yer too damned right, I knew it was one of the old British aircraft manufacturing companies but wasn’t concentrating!

I shouldha duckduckgo’d it to make sure. :((b

Well done that man, one day I will buy you a pint or three. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa ! !

Why can I remember that Latin bollox from Catlick schooldays yet unable to recall why I went upstairs... ~X(

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by Boac » Wed May 10, 2023 4:14 pm

It's the same people that make the brown sauce, BM.

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by OneHungLow » Wed May 10, 2023 5:57 pm

barkingmad wrote:
I must admit this interesting craft, in the hangar, looks from the front like a miniature De Haviland Victor cockpit but unrolls to reveal a natty piece of aviation kit which might revolutionise that sector;
Laminar flow uber alles. The aero team so puristic that that they have placed the prop at the back, engine located aft to make a large tailplane superfluous, thereby enhancing aerodynamic efficiency with the centre of lift aligned sweetly with the rearward mounted wings.
The aircraft has a maximum cruise speed of 450 miles per hour, a range of over 4,500 miles, with the goal of Part 23 type certification and entry into service by 2025.

Another unique aspect of Celera 500L’s design is the rear-mounted propeller engine, the twin six-cylinder all-aluminum diesel burning RED A03, which has already achieved EASA and FAA type certification, the company said.
Looks comfortable on board too! White, clean, just like a lab without Chinese pathogens bm! ;)))

Just as long as those escaped pangolins don't besmirch the pristine smoothness of the fueslage thereby disturbing the laminar flow.

"The configuration is similar to the 1948 Planet Satellite, or the 2011 EADS Voltaire electric aircraft concept. The claimed 59% drag reduction "would be quite a hard task to achieve", while lift-induced drag would not be reduced by laminar flow. A 1:22 glide ratio like current airliners can be reached with its high wing aspect ratio, without a sensational drag reduction: better than other general aviation designs, but lower than most gliders. The 460 mph (400 kn; 740 km/h) max speed is achievable, but the cruise speed has to be lower to reach the 4,500 nmi (8,300 km) range. The fuel efficiency is difficult to compare with no specified payload, cruise speed and altitude. Pushing the laminar flow to the limit could hinder handling qualities or structural efficiency, and laminar flow tends to be unreliable in service, as it is highly susceptible to degradation from surface irregularities".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_Celera_500L
OttoAviation.JPG

https://oldmachinepress.com/2021/06/20/ ... -aircraft/
The second Satellite prototype was registered as G-ALXP in 1950, but it was never completed. G-ALXP’s mostly-finished fuselage was later used by Firth Helicopters as the basis for the FH.01/4 Atlantic helicopter, a twin-rotor design which was built in 1952. The FH.01/4 Atlantic was also designed by HW&S, but it never flew and was eventually scrapped in the 1960s. Most likely by coincidence, the basic layout of the Planet Satellite would be resurrected in the late 1970s as the Lear Fan 2100, another unconventional aircraft constructed of unconventional materials in hopes of revolutionizing private air travel.
The observer of fools in military south and north...

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by barkingmad » Wed May 10, 2023 7:33 pm

OHL, why didya havta ruin it all by bringing pangolins into the topic?!

No wonder I’m becoming more batty by the day…🥴

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by barkingmad » Wed May 10, 2023 7:56 pm

Boac wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 4:14 pm
It's the same people that make the brown sauce, BM.
“Cette sauce de haut qualite est un melange…etc”

How the hell can I remember that but forget all the important things like v squared plus u squared = 2as?

Or even how and why to use logarithm tables… :-o