Another US AOPA case study...

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Another US AOPA case study...

#1 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:02 am

Today I am off to an advanced tutorial at my nearest friendly flight training establishment in the use SkyDemon VFR planning and navigation application and the integration thereof with other flying aids such as ADS-B and P3i and I was wondering whether the application will one day be able to be connected to something akin to the US NEXRAD system here in UK/Europe?

In anticipation of which I was looking at NEXRAD and then came across this salient lesson, once again, in the need to really understanding what you specific tool is really telling you! Yet another superb and thought provoking video from the ever active and supportive US AOPA and their Air Safety team.

You have to give to the USA they are on the mark with their roll out and use of these technologies in the GA space as well.

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Follow the magenta line.

#2 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:23 am

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:02 am
Today I am off to an advanced tutorial at my nearest friendly flight training establishment in the use SkyDemon VFR planning and navigation application and the integration thereof with other flying aids such as ADS-B and P3i and I was wondering whether the application will one day be able to be connected to something akin to the US NEXRAD system here in UK/Europe?

I will continue to buy sharpeners for my chinagraph pencil and study and mark up the relevant charts and produce a traditional PLOG but this product is also going to be a permanent fixture from now on. More features than my current Garmin GPS which will be used as a backup. Only a luddite would be blind to the huge advantages a well hooked version of this product can give a pilot.

The Magenta Line.JPG
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Another US AOPA case study...

#3 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:49 pm

What is Automation Dependency and where did this issue come from? Very likely the Boeing 757 played a major role. First put into commercial operation by Eastern Airlines in 1983, Boeing delivered 1,050 757 models between 1981 and 2004. The pilots at Eastern referred to it as the Electric Jet. It was the first commercial aircraft to have a Flight Management System and Electronic Instruments. Pilots transitioning from the DC-8, DC-9, and 727 had their hands full just getting through the training program. Many washed out and others just elected to go back to the steam gauges. A rather senior 727 captain friend of mine described his first week of training as, “I felt like a dog watching TV.”
https://airfactsjournal.com/2020/09/ste ... enta-line/

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:13 pm

Pilots new to the Airbus say: "What's it doing?" :-o or "Why is it doing that?" :-o :))

PP

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:45 am

Not AOPA, Air Safety Institute, but still worth watching. It's a hard watch though. Reminds one that one cannot take the pleasure of flight lightly.

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:49 am

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:45 am
Not AOPA, Air Safety Institute, but still worth watching. It's a hard watch though. Reminds one that one cannot take the pleasure of flight lightly.
Of course it is AOPA... I really rate the US AOPA, and their Air Safety Institute...
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."