Tracey Curtis-Taylor arrives in Darwin

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Tracey Curtis-Taylor arrives in Darwin

#1 Post by Alisoncc » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:28 am

Tracey Curtis-Taylor flying a Boeing Stearman has just arrived in Darwin, having flown from Farnborough in the UK.

More here: http://www.birdinabiplane.com/

Congratulations Tracey from all at Ops Normal. :YMAPPLAUSE: ^:)^ :YMAPPLAUSE:

tracey.gif
tracey.gif (241.86 KiB) Viewed 1216 times

Beginning on October 1 in England, Curtis-Taylor piloted her "Spirit of Artemis" over 23 countries; Europe, across the Mediterranean Sea to Jordan, over the Arabian Desert, across the Gulf of Oman to Pakistan, through India and on to Burma, Thailand, Malaysia, and Indonesia before crossing the Timor Sea and landing in Darwin on Friday — a journey of over 20,000 kilometres "following in the slipstream" of Amy Johnson's epic feat.
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Tracey Curtis-Taylor arrives in Darwin

#2 Post by Boac » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:35 am

Fantastic achievement.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by 500N » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:23 am

Good on her, hope the weather was not too stormy / wet for her coming in.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:19 am

Hmm - call me an old cynic but I would have been more impressed if instead of recreating Amy Johnson's solo flight to Australia she had flown her Stearman solo to Australia to recreate Amy's flight. There's a big difference - especially when in her videos it is obvious there are two heads showing in the Stearman - see this video as she crosses the Phang Nga Bay, Thailand.

[bbvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezix9w4e914[/bbvideo]

There's also a world of difference between what Amy did flying solo and what this lady has done with a support team following her. I hope the owner of the parked Robinson helicopter she demolished at Goodwood last August now has his machine repaired and back in the air. Sorry, not that impressed.

Oops.jpg
Oops.jpg (95.15 KiB) Viewed 1202 times
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

stuart
Capt
Capt

#5 Post by stuart » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:44 pm

Latest news below, btw nice story about Tracy on News at ten just now.

http://www.itv.com/news/2016-01-07/brit ... lo-flight/
it's good to be bad.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Boac » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:54 am

Who was the co-pilot? I think he deserves a little publicity (unless it was a RyanAir pilot positioning for duty............. :)) )

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Boac » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:24 am

Whilst not wishing in any way to decry her terrific achievement, it is worth pointing out for the sake of record that Sheila Scott did in fact fly around the world SOLO (via Sydney) some time ago (1966, G-ATOY, a Commanche), and I believe Brian Milton flew a three axis microlight, the Dalgety Flyer, (SOLO) from London to Sydney in 59 days in 1987.

I understand the 'co-pilot' on this trip, as on others, was her instructor (20,000+ hours), and the same man who had rebuilt the aeroplane from scratch. I cannot avoid feeling she has somewhat been the victim of 'media hype' in this.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Alisoncc » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:11 pm

Aunty Beeb is quoting the following
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-35271182
Some early reports suggested it was a solo flight - Ms Curtis-Taylor was the only pilot to fly the vintage bi-plane, but she had a support team of engineers travelling with her in a separate aircraft, as well as a camera crew, who would sometimes sit in with her.

So to all intents and purposes looks like it was a "solo" flight, even with all the support.

She told BBC Radio 4's Today programme that completing the challenge was a "huge relief" and she described her "euphoria to finally get to Sydney".

"This is the greatest adventure in the world - this is flying through some of the great iconic sites: the Dead Sea, the Arabian desert," she said.

"This is old fashioned stick and rudder flying, open cockpit, you get buffeted around - I've come through monsoons, thunder storms, turbulence, flying through the Australian outback in 45 degrees of heat.
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:41 pm

From the BBC Radio 4 website http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03f061t of today's date:

British aviation adventurer, Tracey Curtis-Taylor has completed a 13,000 mile solo flight from Britain to Australia in a vintage open cockpit biplane. The 53 year-old set off from Hampshire in October. She has emulated the pioneering British aviator, Amy Johnson, who became the first woman to fly solo between the two countries in 1930.

So there you have it. Solo redefined. She certainly has a good publicity team.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#10 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:38 am

Two questions. 1. Did she have GPS? 2. How many 5* hotels did she stay at on the way?
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by Boac » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:43 am

looks like it was a "solo" flight, even with all the support.
- I think a few of us pilots (while in no way wishing to downplay the sheer achievement) view having a (type-qualified) co-pilot in the aeroplane as not 'solo', Alison? The Beeb from which you quote say
Ms Curtis-Taylor was the only pilot to fly the vintage bi-plane
which begs the question - whose was the other head, and that, I think, has been answered (see #7) and with pix here http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/pilot-tracey-curtis-taylor-touches-down-after-three-month-journey-from-uk-to-sydney-in-1942-boeing-stearman/story-fni0cx12-1227702832957? I am a little surprised that no public credit has been given to this man - the name appears to be Ewald Gritsch who rebuilt the aircraft.

From her previoius 'solo' flight from Africa to the UK there is mention of a "Matthew, who also doubles up as a co-pilot", so nothing is clear!

It is 'media run-away', but how it was fed......?

Let's not forget Amanda Harrison who is hoping to fly 'solo' to Darwin in a Tiger Moth, leaving on 1 December http://amandajharrison.com/[/url]. I seem to recall an RAF colleague of mine, David Cyster, flew that route in a Tiger a few years back too.

I would imagine one could almost navigate the route now by following the oil stains =))

EDIT For ex-A: Yes, GPS. Re Hotels, what would you have done if you had the dosh?

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#12 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:45 am

OK I rest my case BOAC if Tracey wanted to recreat Amy Johnson's flight it should have been chart and stopwatch. Not GPS. Yes well, 5* hotels, this was the main reason for my career strategy!

At one point I thought about choppers but then they told me I would have to stay in the field with the pongs in a tent. That was the end of that idea.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by Boac » Tue May 17, 2016 4:30 pm

Crashed in Arizona this time. Article describes pilot Ewald Gritsch as a 'passenger' - a little 'spin' perhaps (non-aerodynamic, of course)?

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by 500N » Tue May 17, 2016 4:35 pm

Isn't that the 2nd recent crash she has had ?

MoreAviation

#15 Post by MoreAviation » Wed May 18, 2016 5:00 am

The accident seems to have been associated with density altitude and loss of engine power while taking off in Arizona ( despite 7100 feet long runway). The aircraft looks like a write off but the BBC article talks of repairs and an appearance at Farnborough this year! Hopefully the engine wasn't shock loaded (see damaged prop) and a partially rebuilt aircraft might just be possible.

Weight and balance/density altitude miscalculation/engine failure? Who knows?

https://skyvector.com/airport/INW/Winslow-Lindbergh-Regional-Airport

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-36310360

It isn't the first time this old Stearman has been in the wars. Ms Curtis-Taylor taxied into a R44 helicopter at Goodwood some time back as noted in the photo posted earlier. Hopefully this latest misadventure won't stop her trip in the end.

Tis a pity to see both birds brought down this way...

MA

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by Boac » Wed May 18, 2016 7:05 am

The accident seems to have been associated with density altitude and loss of engine power
- hmm! No facts but odd to get that at '50ft' after a ?successful? take-off, isn't it?

I do hope Ewald is enjoying himself........

As for a 'repair' - well, only new wings, tail section, possible motor. Yes, it will buff out.

MoreAviation

#17 Post by MoreAviation » Wed May 18, 2016 8:04 am

To damage an aircraft once is unfortunate, to damage the aircraft twice is unlucky, to do so again might be deemed to be sheer carelessness! (With apologies to Oscar Whiskey).

MA

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by 500N » Wed May 18, 2016 8:25 am

MoreAviation wrote:To damage an aircraft once is unfortunate, to damage the aircraft twice is unlucky, to do so again might be deemed to be sheer carelessness! (With apologies to Oscar Whiskey).

MA

On top of the Helo mentioned above she ran into.

So does that make 4 bent aircraft ?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by Boac » Wed May 18, 2016 8:55 am

Heaven knows what she would be like without Ewald! Oh, actually we DO know.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#20 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed May 18, 2016 9:49 am

Our Trace has to have Ewald along to rebuild it every time she prangs it.

The aircraft will end up like Trigger's old broom. The one he first started off with just a few new heads and handles.

I wish to claim that I have flown solo around the world. Also in stages over a period of time. With some support of course which seems permissible: F/O, Flt Eng, Nav and cabin crew - well someone has to serve m'dinna.