Counting, one, two... 98 (or it was it 97)? Start again!

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Counting, one, two... 98 (or it was it 97)? Start again!

#1 Post by OneHungLow » Wed May 10, 2023 6:05 am

The current inverted flat spin world record is 98, set on March 20, 2016 by air show performer Spencer Suderman over Yuma, Arizona. Suderman flew the Sunbird S-1x, a Lycoming IO-540-powered experimental variant of the Pitts S1. The maneuver began from 24,500' over the Yuma Proving Grounds and was recovered at 2,000' AGL. The previous world record for the number of consecutive turns in a flat spin was 81 also set by Spencer Suderman on March 13, 2014 in a Pitts S-2B from 23,000 ft altitude over the Naval Air Facility El Centro.
https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/ne ... raf-424520

Suderman.JPG
Engine and propeller
-Lycoming o-540-E4B5 (260 hp) updated with Precision Airmotive fuel injection, Christen Inverted Oil
-159 SMOH
-Sensenich Aluminum Prop: pitched for best climb performance

Features
The Sunbird S-1x was designed from the ground up by Dan Rihn using the ideas of the Pitts S1 reimagined for higher performance and engineered to accommodate the Lycoming IO-540 engine.

-Rounded wing tip is extended straight aft (Like Pitts S-2C)
-Sparcraft lightweight wings with Zero dihedral
-Ailerons widened to the tip and brought inboard one rib bay
-Four hinges per aileron & servo tabs for dynamic boost/light control forces
-Three flying and three landing wire
-Seat inclined for positive "G" tolerance
-Enlarged rudder for superior control authority
-Two flying and two landing wires on the horizontal stabilizer; improves strength in tail slides
-Elevator and rudder gap seals
-Sensenich fixed pitch climb prop
-Cross country belly tanks
-Inverted flop tube fuel system with 20 gallons onboard
-All new hoses (Oil, fuel, brakes).
The ultimate spin doctor!

The observer of fools in military south and north...

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: Counting, one, two... 98 (or it was it 97)? Start again!

#2 Post by OneHungLow » Wed May 10, 2023 6:20 am

From - AOPA -https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all ... r-suderman

Hey Spence, what about the recovery technique?
Airshow performer and IT engineer Spencer Suderman set the record for the most inverted flat spins performed in an aircraft on March 20, 2016. He performed 98 consecutive flat spins in a Sunbird S-1x sport biplane at 24,500 feet over the Sauceda Mountains in Arizona.

Why a spin record?
Aviation records tend to fall into three categories: Higher, faster, farther. The current records are so extreme that it is beyond state-of-the-art technology—and my budget—to go after them. The inverted flat spin world record is interesting, different, unique, and awe-inspiring!

2. The first spin…and the last?

The first spin makes me nervous; so much goes through my mind about airplane performance, my performance, and anticipation. As the spin rate increases and stabilizes, I relax as I confirm the airplane is working like I expect. The last spin is a relief; I have been hanging upside-down for three minutes at negative 1.5 G, my right leg is tired and shaking from keeping the rudder to the firewall.

3. What are you thinking about?
I am totally in the moment and focused on aircraft performance. My scan goes like this: Altimeter to oil pressure to oil temperature to EGT then repeat. I look for rises in EGT, which will be followed by a movement of the mixture control to increase (enrichen) fuel flow. All this while thinking about my right foot on the rudder, left hand holding full throttle except when I adjust mixture, and right hand holding the stick in the upper right corner.

4. Why is spin training important?
Students must experience full stalls and spins to: 1) not fear them; and, 2) be capable of recognizing and recovering them virtually without overthinking the situation.

5. Advice for student pilots?
I tell all pilots, both students and certificated, to get spin and unusual attitude training. It might make you uncomfortable; however, it will definitely make you safer. Don’t just do it once, stay current by refreshing that training periodically.
The observer of fools in military south and north...