Subsonex...

MoreAviation

Subsonex...

#1 Post by MoreAviation » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:57 am

Saw an article on this interesting aircraft in this month's Flyer magazine here in the UK... looks like a lot of fun but I don't like the hand operated brake with the small throttle right next to it. Opens the door wide to Mr Cock Up.

http://www.sonexaircraft.com/subsonex/

[bbvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9mieILOQ1E[/bbvideo]

A Lutra Continua
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: Subsonex...

#2 Post by A Lutra Continua » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:15 am

Nothing stopping you changing the location/operation of brake and throttle. It's what home building is all about.

I'm currently building a Sonex taildragger with a couple of mods to make it more comfortable. It's being built as a single seater rather than a two seater, side by side. Gives me more leg room as well as space to put my shoulders. The SubSonex and the Onex are a little too cozy for my biltong fed hairyback body.

Someone suggested extra fuel tanks for better endurance, but it already has four hours to dry tanks and who wants to spend more than 2.5 hours at a time wedged into a small cockpit in any case? Rather fit a few creature comforts like a cooler and a cup holder.

MoreAviation

#3 Post by MoreAviation » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:52 am

A Lutra Continua wrote:Nothing stopping you changing the location/operation of brake and throttle. It's what home building is all about.

I'm currently building a Sonex taildragger with a couple of mods to make it more comfortable. It's being built as a single seater rather than a two seater, side by side. Gives me more leg room as well as space to put my shoulders. The SubSonex and the Onex are a little too cozy for my biltong fed hairyback body.

Someone suggested extra fuel tanks for better endurance, but it already has four hours to dry tanks and who wants to spend more than 2.5 hours at a time wedged into a small cockpit in any case? Rather fit a few creature comforts like a cooler and a cup holder.

How many hours to date have you been beavering away at your Sonex A Lutra?

With four hours to dry in those tanks to play with you will be able to get some range of that baby... but not enough to get you from Johannesburg to Poffadder for a beer on one tank though !

I am with you on the need for space as in my case my fiks ligaam has degenerated into a large temple of doom these days... :)

A Lutra Continua
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by A Lutra Continua » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:58 pm

Been pottering about with the beastie for around four years now. 80% complete, only 80% to go.

She burns around 15 litres an hour at 110-120 kts. I reckon 2.5 hours in the hot seat then an hour refuelling and stretching the beans should do the trick. I still operate a long range bladder but hoovering up sarmies and cream soda in flight could affect that.

Putting in a steam panel rather than the noofangled all singing, all dancing glass effort. At least that way I still have some idea of what's going on if the battery says howzit. No GPS, just compass, map and stopwatch. I kind of like looking out the window to see where I am. I leave the hero shit to the Children of the Magenta Line. Got an issue with being scraped off the side of a mountain with kiff gold wings pinned to my heroic chest.

Cynical? Moi...?

A Lutra Continua
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by A Lutra Continua » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:42 am

Some pics taken a couple of years ago. I'm a bit further along than what you see. Check out the main spar. Makes most Cessnas look weak and insipid. Stressed to +3.3 and -2.2 g for normal ops and even higher for aeros with a weight limit in place.

DSC00014.JPG

DSC00016.JPG

MoreAviation

#6 Post by MoreAviation » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:11 pm

That is one hefty spar!

Where do you have your baby hangared A Lutra?

A Lutra Continua
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by A Lutra Continua » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:35 am

The 'Boom for a bit, now New Tempe. The pics are at the 'Boom in a hangar built during the war for the EFTS.

MoreAviation

#8 Post by MoreAviation » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:07 pm

now New Tempe

One hopes that the new Tempe is a bit more fun than the old one anyway! :)

A Lutra Continua
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by A Lutra Continua » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:19 pm

Used to be Kenilworth, now New Tempe after they turned the old Tempe airfield into a housing estate. Bloody parasite developers.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#10 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:18 am

ALC you 'aint going to get to MUB in that mate.

Nice though just can't stand small cockpits.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

A Lutra Continua
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by A Lutra Continua » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:47 pm

Hour twenty to Gabs then refuel and clear immigration. Two hours fifty odd to Maun from there with an hour and a bit in reserve. Can be done.

The one I'm building is a two seat side by side effort, but I'll be building it with a centre stick so I can fly it solo from the middle with lots of elbow and leg room. Feet on the outboard rudder pedals and a cooler of soft drinks and sandwiches on the seat next to me. Slow climb to 10000' where it's a lot cooler and comms are better. Should be a doddle.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#12 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:08 am

ALC that's quicker than Air Bots given the delays. And, your bags may end up at your destination.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

A Lutra Continua
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by A Lutra Continua » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:46 am

I'll shove a crate of beer in the back if I drop in chez Ascot.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#14 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:34 am

As I have said before. Fit floats and you can put down right next to our guest accom tie up to the jetty and you are 5 m from it. Prevailing wind is straight down the lagoon. Keep one eye open all night and you will be looking right at it to ensure the buggers don't nick the wings for surf boards or sumat.

A Lutra Continua
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by A Lutra Continua » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:07 am

Floats tend to make it pretty slow. Don't really want to spend too long in the cockpit dawdling along.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#16 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:33 am

Yep I know. And you don't want to clip a hippo he will chomp your tail right off. Never flown a float plane. A couple back in our home village in the UK (both ATPL he was CAA) went on holiday to Canada and did a two week course for fun.

A Lutra Continua
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by A Lutra Continua » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:16 am

Not to mention the hangup local CAAs have with water hyacinth and float aircraft. Last thing you need in your lagoon is an infestation of that. Enough flies and bugs living in there to make what you now have dive bombing you over your evening G&Ts seem like a picnic in comparison.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#18 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:00 am

Good point never thought of that one. No way Water Affairs and the CAAB would allow a SA polluted float plane land here unless you do a touch and go in a sheep dip first.

Actually very few pesky things here at night apart from the locals. Even they have now stopped eating white man stew. As the water is moving albeit very slowly at the mo and little population also very few mossies unlike in town.

A Lutra Continua
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by A Lutra Continua » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:40 pm

Don't kid yourself. Your estate manager and mates are three chibulis away from feasting on braised mzungu with onions if things get rowdy on a Saturday night.

Bloody mozzies around here regard bug spray as an aphrodisiac. I'm sure the bastards put it behind their ears to improve their chances of getting a leg over.

MoreAviation

#20 Post by MoreAviation » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:11 pm

I see that Sonex have come up with two new models...

Sonex Aircraft has introduced two new airplane kits, the Sonex and Waiex B-Models. The Oshkosh, Wisconsin, plane builder says the new B models offer more room inside, more panel space, more fuel capacity, additional engine choices, and more standard features “combined with reduced build time and the same great Sonex and Waiex flight characteristics.”

Sonex and Waiex B-Models have been enlarged by straightening of the forward fuselage sides, and feature improved creature comforts: There is now more width at the shoulders, hips, knees and feet; the seatback has been moved aft, and new seat geometry accommodates taller pilots; and electric flaps are now standard.

Sonex is expanding engine options by adding engine mount options for UL Power 350i, 350is, and Rotax 912-series engines. A new universal cowl is designed to fit any available engine option.

Sonex says the B-Model kits will ship with more standard features, and will require less build time. Assembled Wing Spars and Machined Angle Components are now standard. Upgrades and accessories such as the AeroBrake Hydraulic Brakes, dual AeroConversions Throttle Quadrants, and AeroConversions Trim System are now included. Build time improvements include more laser-cut, formed and machined parts, machined canopy bows for easier installation with a better fit, an easy-fitting horizontal-split cowl, and engine mounts that bolt quickly and accurately to the airframe.

The B-Model kits will be offered at an introductory price of $23,000 and refundable Kit Reservation Deposits are now available at $1,000 per reservation. B-Model kit deliveries are estimated to start in June.

http://www.flyingmag.com/sonex-introduc ... SOC&dom=tw
 