Parachute jumps - what impressed you most on your first jump

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Parachute jumps - what impressed you most on your first jump

#1 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:43 am

As mentioned in another thread, currently a gentleman is installing a new set of windows and we are chatting about our military service. He did serve on paratroopers and I asked him what was his stronger recollection about his first jump. He mentioned the fear.

What was your stronger memory from the first jump?

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Parachute jumps - what impressed you most on your first jump

#2 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:48 am

Nil experience. ( the only reason to jump out of an aeroplane is when it's on fire )

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by ian16th » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:22 am

Agree 100% with Speedy.

Had to wear 'shutes when working on Varsity's. We had to do some work on Gee-H while the a/c was flying. A bl**dy nuisance banging behind ones knees.

Just remembered the other occasion, 'Air Experience FLights' while in Boys Service, in Ansons at Lynham. I think wearing the 'shute was part of the 'experience'!
Cynicism improves with age

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:51 am

With Ex-A on this one. PITA wearing a parachute in the Vulcan Used to move around the cabin at low level with the chute on but not the dinghy pack.

As an aside, many Vulcans had bent steps leading to the light deck. I suspect this was rotund nav rads standing on the step with full kit, circa 200 lbs plus during manoeuvring with a massive 1.5g :) I dont think the step was stressed to 300-400 lbs.

Sisemen

#5 Post by Sisemen » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:56 am

At least it was something to sit on for the 6th seat!

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by om15 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:15 am

My first jump was from a 70 Sqn C130 over Ladies Mile, at 1,000 feet I was the first in the stick and was in the door for about 5 minutes on the approach over the sea to the DZ.
The view was fantastic and the noise and general excitement added to it, went out cleanly on the green light, my immediate impression was how quiet it went, within a few seconds I could hear the rock ape WO on the DZ with a megaphone giving advice and instructions.
The second jump a couple of hours later increased from 6 to 12 in the stick and I got too close to the next bloke and didn't have time to enjoy the view.
Third from left, I think this photo was taken on the second jump that morning but not 100% it might have been after that

Akrotiri 1974.jpg

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by ian16th » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:30 pm

OM
Were you in the Mountain Rescue Team?

We had an idiot guy in the Electrincs Centre who was, he also did this jumping out of servicable a/c stunt.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by om15 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:18 pm

Ian, this was a few months after the Invasion of Cyprus in 1974, we were confined to camp mostly, with very restricted access out and about, my hobby was trail riding on my motorbike, this was curtailed, so I applied to join the MRT.
A large number of hopefuls started but the Rock Apes carrying out the formidable pre para test thinned the racks very swiftly, for about 4 days we were put through the mill, with people dropping out with injuries and deciding it wasn't for them.
The last day we were taken to Ladies mile and made to run with sandbags on stretchers and drag ammunition trailers over the salt flats, then doubled back to the training centre, we were on our knees by this time, we were formed up and a couple of 3 tonners were reversed up, we were told that we were going to be dropped off at Episkopi and had to run back, only the first half dozen back would pass the test, anybody who didn't want to do it drop out now, some thought fcuk that and fell out, being shouted at to get out of sight and out of mind.
Then the rock ape Flt Lt told the remaining few of us that we had passed the first part of the training.
A week or so actually being taught how to use the parachute, drop the container, and practising in harness's, then the big day, first jump.
The course was 8 jumps, each jump lower and in more tightly formed sticks.
Sods law after all the training the weather broke and high winds stopped us from completing the 8 jumps, then suddenly out of the blue in Jan 1975 there was a massive reduction in strength at Akrotiri and the MRT was disbanded, all that effort for nothing.
I was a very unmilitary A/Fitt/A and had a very undistinguished short career in the RAF, but this was my one experience of proper military challenges and enjoyed every minute of it.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by ian16th » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:41 pm

My claim to fame was that I was Ord Cpl at Akrotiri on Saturday 21 December 1963!

Look at the start date for the GSM Cyprus 1963-4

It was the day that the Turkish Cypriots started demonstarting in Nicosia. The Greek police panicked and shot 2 Turks.

The only time I was ever part of a 3 man meeting of the OO, Ord Sgt and Ord Cpl! And it was seriously serious look you! We suddenly realised that we 3 were running Akrotiri.

The OO called out higher authority, and I went back to the usual Ord Cpl's job of closing the NAAFI on a Saturday night.

I also had to issue bedding to some guys fro RAF Nicosia, who were 'trapped' and couldn't get back to Nic by road.

Happy Daze.

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by rgbrock1 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:59 pm

Rwy in Sight wrote:As mentioned in another thread, currently a gentleman is installing a new set of windows and we are chatting about our military service. He did serve on paratroopers and I asked him what was his stronger recollection about his first jump. He mentioned the fear.

What was your stronger memory from the first jump?

Easy answer to that one. My strongest memory from my first jump, in Jump School at Fort Benning, Georgia was the annoyance I had at having to wash the piss stain out of my fatigue pants that night. :)) :D
Pro Deo et Constitutione — Libertas aut Mors

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:01 pm

ExSp33db1rd wrote:Nil experience. ( the only reason to jump out of an aeroplane is when it's on fire )

When I was trying to organise the University of Sunderland Skydiving club I was encounter a similar point from an Australian bloke: what's the point to jump out of perfectly good airplane. I did not have an answer besides it is a good fun.

om15 and rgbrock1 thanks for the answer. Are you two the only having jumped out of an airplane?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by Boac » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:47 pm

If you permit a Martin Baker experience, I was most impressed at living.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by om15 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:26 am

No option power assisted, which aircraft type? Wasn't there something on the Gnat seat that almost guaranteed a back injury, a single stage rather than two stage sequence?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by Boac » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:43 am

Harrier and yes, minor injuries, despite the 'rocket' seat, that will doubtless bite as I age even further. However, having seen the wreckage, 'twas a better option.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by ian16th » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:22 am

Boac wrote:Harrier and yes, minor injuries, despite the 'rocket' seat, that will doubtless bite as I age even further. However, having seen the wreckage, 'twas a better option.

Sorry to hear that you had the experience, but very please that it worked as advertised.

So do you have one of those very nice MB watches?

A lovely timepiece, but a hell of a way to earn the thing.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by Boac » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:34 am

No, just a tie and badge, a Beer mug and a mounted set of cartidges and the seat handle. I 'pre-dated' the watch. (and many other things, as Mrs B tells me..........)

Out of interest,the Enquiry found I had 1/2 a second left in which to eject and had 11 seconds on the chute - into trees. Phew!

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:47 am

BOAC, if your back gets worse contact the British Legion, the RBL does the initial hand holding with the Veterans Agency.

My back injury didn't involve bail out but from a bad seat in the Vulcan. It started with the mk 20 parachute, leaning forward nav rad, and a cold cabin, say 50 degrees. A crushed vertebrae.

Best thing I did was take my wife with to doctor as she remembered better the things I can no longer do.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by Boac » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:00 am

Thanks, PN. Will remember (I hope!! :)) )

Sisemen

#19 Post by Sisemen » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:37 pm

Om15 - we have something in common. I was on the Sharjah MDRT 67/68 and completed the MRT winter course in 69 but they wouldn't let me transfer to a UK team because of manning deficiencies in my trade!

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by Boac » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:49 pm

I always recall the Parachute training Flight-Sergeant briefing we Occifers

"Sirs - don't forget to cross your legs as you land - we find it easier to unscrew you"