Skydiving.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Skydiving.

#21 Post by Boac » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:49 am

I concur with ex-A - I flew the Islander at Bad Lippspringe for RAPA for a while when I was based at Gutersloh. Great fun and a constant challenge to 'get it right' which is at the heart of most pilots' ambitions....

I think I did it for quite a few weekends until we discovered that the dildo Army major who had done my twin rating on the Islander was not qualified to do so. Hasty log book 'amendments' adopted ~X(

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#22 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:56 am

Caco yes RAFSPA. Also Islander piston and turbine and C206. Did a short stint on the Skyvan for the London parachute school
Must admit there were long boring days when you were grounded due to weather but always nutters to talk to and some nice girls. Then on a clear day after about 20 drops it got a bit tedious. Also dropped The Falcons for a season from the Andover Mk1.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#23 Post by Cacophonix » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:26 am

Boac wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:49 am
I concur with ex-A - I flew the Islander at Bad Lippspringe for RAPA for a while when I was based at Gutersloh. Great fun and a constant challenge to 'get it right' which is at the heart of most pilots' ambitions....

I think I did it for quite a few weekends until we discovered that the dildo Army major who had done my twin rating on the Islander was not qualified to do so. Hasty log book 'amendments' adopted ~X(
Who signed the Wright brothers off I wonder? ;)))

Caco

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

Falcons get a bath

#24 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:34 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... splay.html

Photo of photo below was given to me by them after my season dropping them in 1982. All a bit faded but the lady running from the deck chair was very astute as the last one in the stack landed on said deckchair about 4 seconds later.
Attachments
Falcons.jpg
Falcons.jpg (35.04 KiB) Viewed 2706 times
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:20 pm

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

Was this a good idea?

#26 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:11 pm

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27 Post by PHXPhlyer » Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:27 pm

Section 91.105(a) prescribes that during takeoff and landing, and while en route, each required
flight crewmember shall (1) be at the crewmember station unless the absence is necessary to
perform duties in connection with the operation of the aircraft or in connection with
physiological needs; and (2) keep the safety belt fastened while at the crewmember station.

All they needed to say that they had to pee and since their planes had no facilities, they had to step out to take care of their physiological needs.

PP

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#28 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:37 pm

I see a prosecution here.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#29 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:01 am

Justifiably. The only reason to ever jump out of any aeroplane in flight is if it is on fire.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#30 Post by Boac » Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:32 am

I disagree. I once found it useful to step out when it was about to hit the ground with me in it!

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#31 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:30 am

Boac wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:32 am
I disagree. I once found it useful to step out when it was about to hit the ground with me in it!
Yes that is another excuse :-bd

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:40 am

The pair jumped out their respective aircraft at an altitude of 12,100 feet with the airbrake system engaged on both planes.
Ah yes. The famous speedbrake option on the Cessna.

Does such an improvised mod have to be certified by the FAA for use in what are very obviously commercial operations, albeit of a non public transport nature?

I note that the one which successfully retracted its speedbrake remained under control, while the other one promptly went into an inverted spin. Is a speedbrake-induced inverted spin recoverable in a Cessna? Had anyone tried it? Did the pilots have any training in inverted spinning at all? The required control inputs for an inverted spin are very different to those of a normal/erect spin because yaw is in opposite direction to roll.

This guy can explain better than I can.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#33 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:39 am

Good clip UP. Maybe the pilot could have recovered it if he had been on board but he was plummeting towards earth himself at the time.

I believe the ETPS failure rate is very high. We had a Capt on 10 Sqn who qualified and got a talking to for having a double engine failure over Manchester, which was our normal top of decent for BZN, and carrying on instead of going into Manchester.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#34 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:40 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:37 pm
I see a prosecution here.
The Federal Aviation Administration said Monday it will investigate a plane crash in Arizona on Sunday during a Red Bull-sponsored stunt.

The pilots of two planes attempted to swap places mid-flight, leaving both aircraft unmanned for a period of time, and one of the planes crashed, although both pilots were unharmed.

The FAA said it rejected a waiver of laws requiring pilots to man their planes at all times, according to a denial later from the FAA dated Friday -- days ahead of Sunday's crash.

The pilots, Luke Aikens and Andy Farrington, applied for the waiver saying that the event was in the "public interest" as it was meant to raise awareness for science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) fields and encourage students to pursue careers in STEM.

In its rejection letter, the FAA said that "would not be in the public interest and cannot find that the proposed operation would not adversely affect safety."

The event was live-streamed on the online streaming platform Hulu.

The stunt was planned to have each of the pilots fly their aircraft to 14,000 feet, and then put their planes in vertical dives.

At the same time, the pilots were supposed to jump out of of the respective planes and attempt to swap seats in mid-air.

The pilots, who are also cousins, have planned the swap for a year, according to Red Bull. According to Red Bull, the planes were placed on autopilot and the engines were turned off in midair while the pilots attempted the swap.

In their request to the FAA, the pilots said they were both held commercial pilots' licenses and had "conducted over 20,000 skydives" and performed more than 100 dive test flights without incident.
Pointless Stunt

Stunt1.JPG
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#35 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:48 pm

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#36 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:58 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:39 am
Good clip UP. Maybe the pilot could have recovered it if he had been on board but he was plummeting towards earth himself at the time.

Did he evacuate before, or after, he put it into the inverted spin? What was his plan? To sell YouChoob videos of his evac and the resultant crash of the airframe? Hhhmmm. :-?

Did the airbrake fail to retract? Is that what put the thing into an inverted spin?

Why did they use Cessnas anyway? The PC-6 can do pretty much the same manoeuvre in beta prop setting; and does so quite frequently for visual effect, including with parachutistnutters exiting and re-entering the airframe on the way down. All without an airbrake on the airframe other than the fan which normally keeps the pilot cool. Part-time pax have their own airbrake, but that's another matter, unrelated to this gig.

Cousins exiting an aperture of a cousin and entering similar aperture of another cousin, concurrently with the other cousin doing the same thing, is a bit of a tradition in some parts of a Murrica, but lets not dwell on that aspect. This is an aviation forum, afterall. With the putative infantilisation of our forum to make the vocabulary suitable for the under-fives nowadays, we are restricted in what we can say.

How many extra fizzy caffeinated cans of sugarwater were sold as a result of that madness?

Will RedBull recycle the wreckage of the damned thing and sell the resultant cans as "Special Edition"?

Will the driver of the riskily crashed airframe get a nastygramme from the FAA? Or will the sponsors be invited to consider a wee contribution towards the dominant party's candidates campaign fund in the forthcoming election? We shall never know

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#37 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:18 pm

it was meant to raise awareness for science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) fields and encourage students to pursue careers in STEM.

Science 101: Gravity.

Hold ma beer and watch this.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#38 Post by Boac » Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:55 pm

..........and he had his baseball cap on back to front - says it all.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#39 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:21 pm

Does such an improvised mod have to be certified by the FAA for use in what are very obviously commercial operations, albeit of a non public transport nature?

The aircraft seemed to be registered in the Experimental Category which would cover speedbrake, oversized tires, missing door, etc.

PP

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#40 Post by Boac » Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:30 pm

Which one was the 'driver' of the crashed aircraft? Should keep the lawyers busy for $0000's