Chief Pilot
Frisky Old Broad

#1 Post by A Lutra Continua » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:58 am

stuart
Capt
Capt

Re: Frisky Old Broad

#2 Post by stuart » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:14 am

What a lovely story, she's a lot braver than me.
it's good to be bad.

unifoxos
Capt
Capt

#3 Post by unifoxos » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:01 pm

I rather liked her comment that it is better than sex.

Lasts longer, too...
Sent from my tatty old Windoze PC.

Dirk
Capt
Capt

#4 Post by Dirk » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:31 pm

This has brought a tear to my eye, what a wonderful lady.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by OFSO » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:28 pm

Nasty little crash in Empuriabrava last Thursday, skydiver hit building near centre of town, canopy hooked on edge of roof, left him dangling, fire department had to lift him down with ladder. Taken to the Clinic in Girona with 'grave injuries'. Since it's hard to miss the dropzone - which is also surrounded by fields on three sides - I wonder if he was knocked out when exiting the Twotter and made an uncontrolled descent.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sun May 01, 2016 5:57 am

The only reason to jump out of an aeroplane is when it's on fire !

During flying training in Canada, one of our French ( not being racist, just stating fact) fellow NATO trainee students ( ex 3rd mate on a Marseilles fishing boat, built like the proverbial brick built s***house - him that is, not the ship ) got lost on a night navigation exercise flying one of our training Harvards ( AT6 Texan to the USA lot ) and decided to bale out. He opened the canopy and still holding the aircraft level with one hand on the stick, successfully negotiated one leg over the exhaust pipe - not easy ! Looking down at the bleak, dark, snow covered landscape in mid-Winter he decided that this wasn't for him and climbed back, and subsequently found his way home. Not so stupid.

Not so stupid he realised that Bush Pilots in Northern Canada earned a lot more money than anyone else he knew, and was a better bet than being shipped off to fight Algerian rebels - it was that era - should he return successfully to the French Air Force at the end of his training, but luckily developed an eyesight problem, so was sent off to the Aviation Medical Unit in Toronto where he proved that he couldn't see a Mack Truck at 3 paces, and was invalided out. Whilst awaiting shipment back to France he managed to sit the technical exams for a Canadian civil licence -by that time he was far enough through the training to recognise the correct answers on a multi-choice paper - and within a couple of months of his eyesight problem was back in Canada with eyesight miraculously recovered, so picked up his civil pilots licence and was earning a fat salary whilst the rest of us soldiered through our training ! Not so stupid.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by OFSO » Sun May 01, 2016 8:42 am

A friend who discovered problems with the rigging of his canopy on the way up decided not to jump and to stay in the Twotter on the way back. He described the landing as "it was so terrifying that next time I'll jump no matter what".

On paper, Empuriabrava has a good safety record. Note that is "on paper".

A Lutra Continua
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by A Lutra Continua » Sun May 01, 2016 6:55 pm

Looks like the main was deployed so probably not fast asleep on the way down. If he was out cold it would have been left to the AAD to unpack the washing by cutting the containment loop of the reserve.