Re: Drones - a hazard to aviation?

#21 Post by probes » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:02 pm

Unifoxos - they've made of light lithium, as opposed to heavy water. [-X

Pinky the pilot
Capt
Capt

#22 Post by Pinky the pilot » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:33 am

During my last working holiday in Japan I noticed drones being used to spray rice paddies. Obviously fairly large drones; I'd estimate them to be at least 2 metres in span.

Also got a slight scare one morning when climbing through 800' with a Glider on tow and sighted a large drone at my altitude, around 400 meters away in my 2 o clock.

I reported it to my Boss on the VHF and from what I later heard, 'action was swiftly taken!' :-?
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

probes
Capt
Capt

#23 Post by probes » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:18 am

What I've read about them in agriculture, the main benefit is supposed to be with various infrared (or wossit) cameras that help to detect plant infections and pests, so that it's possible to 'target' them very precisely and as soon as they appear.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#24 Post by 500N » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:58 pm

They are also used to look over crops and see how the yield is and no patches exist
in areas that would otherwise require walking out into the middle of a big paddock.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#25 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:27 am

This third world country has just brought in legislation that drones and their operators are to be licenced and registered whilst the UK is still just talking about it.

It is about 10 BWP to the Euro, so not expensive. Mind you, neither is the fine! They do however take it off you so that they can play with it.
Attachments
Drone.jpg
Drone.jpg (106.31 KiB) Viewed 664 times
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Thu May 25, 2017 9:15 am

RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

Capetonian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27 Post by Capetonian » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:30 pm

Another incident this evening closed LGW causing several diversions, disrupting air traffic and causing inconvenience and expense to airlines and passengers. An easyJet flight declared an emergency and squawked 7700.

I hope the drone operator can be traced and fined an amount at least equivalent to the cost of the disruption. Cutting his hands and nuts off might also serve as a deterrent to others.

Has the Daily Wail got hold of this story yet?
Hundreds of terrified passengers aboard an Easi-jet Boeing Jumbo Airbus diced with death as a fully laden drone brushed wingtips with the aircraft, causing it to veer off course and forcing it to dive to make an emergency landing at Stanstead Airport. Passengers on their way home from the Greek island resort of Naples screamed in terror as the drone circled their aircraft whilst the heroic captain wrestled with the controls to avoid a collision.
Fortunately it was a Sunday evening so the nearby schools and shopping centres were closed, potentially saving thousands of lives.

An Easi-jet Jumbo Airbus similar to the one in today's incident.
(File Photo.)
One thing you can say for the French, when civilization falls they have less far to fall than everyone else.

ExSp33db1rd
Capt
Capt

#28 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:25 am

And we haven't even started to see the Terrorist potential of the bloody things yet. 'tho I don't suppose they will appeal to the suicide bombers ?

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#29 Post by John Hill » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:17 pm

We use drones every day on the farm.
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

Capetonian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#30 Post by Capetonian » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:08 am

Are you close to a major airport?
If not, then your comment serves only to highlight the good and appropriate use of drones.

Drones are a menace to aviation, and I fear that it is only a matter of time before one is used as a weapon in a terrorist attack.
One thing you can say for the French, when civilization falls they have less far to fall than everyone else.

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#31 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:04 am

Lets hope that this conviction serves as a warning to all the potential idiots out there who think it's fun flying your drone around aircraft and
airports.https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... drone.html
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#32 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:11 am

Has it been considered to make it compulsory to fit a transponder to the larger higher performance drones?
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.