Drones - a hazard to aviation?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Drones - a hazard to aviation?

#101 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:18 pm

ian16th wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:51 am
How about a compulsory barometric switch, that switches the power off, if the device gets airborne?
:)

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#102 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:38 pm

Out of the past thousand airliner accidents, how many were caused by a drone?

Has there ever been such an accident? Ever?

Widen it out to include GA? Any accidents there?

Come to that, has any airliner been abducted by aliens?

Capetonian

#103 Post by Capetonian » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:02 pm

How long have drones been around?
How many near misses have there been?
If uncontrolled use is continued, it is only a matter of time before there is a collision. Obviously many factors would determine whether that results in anything between minor damage and a FATAC, but I would not want to be on any aircraft in the vicinity of drones unless licensed, accountable, and operated by professionals for professional purposes.
Come to that, has any airliner been abducted by aliens?
MH 370?
that was a joke!

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#104 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:12 pm

I think we'd be better off if we concentrate of the causes of that past thousand or so actual accidents. Real accidents which really have cost lives.

Radio controlled model aircraft have been around since the 1950s. How many commercial airliners have been brought down by them? Any?

"a hazard to aviation?"

Yes. So are church steeples and powerlines and mountains and CuNims and hundreds of other hazards.

Capetonian

#105 Post by Capetonian » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:36 pm

...... church steeples and powerlines and mountains and CuNims and hundreds of other hazards.
Last time I saw any of those they were static, or slow moving and very visible in the case of Cb.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#106 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:42 pm

Capetonian wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:36 pm
...... church steeples and powerlines and mountains and CuNims and hundreds of other hazards.
Last time I saw any of those they were static, or slow moving and very visible in the case of Cb.
And yet aircraft do hit them and aircraft do crash as a result.

"Drones", not so.

That's my point.

Capetonian

#107 Post by Capetonian » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:24 pm

Then why add more danger by allowing uncontrolled drones into airspace used by commercial aircraft?

If you would feel safe flying in and out of airfields and sharing space with drones, I hope you are never in a position to influence this.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#108 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:34 pm

Capetonian wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:24 pm
Then why add more danger by allowing uncontrolled drones into airspace used by commercial aircraft?

If you would feel safe flying in and out of airfields and sharing space with drones, I hope you are never in a position to influence this.
Are you aware of the Regs?

They are not allowed to fly in an ATZ.

They are not allowed above 400'agl.

They are not allowed to be flown within (ie an MSD) of 60m of any person, vessel, vehicle or structure.

Perhaps these are some of the reasons why, of the past ten thousand flying accidents, there does not seem to be a single case of any normal aeroplane or helicopter being brought down by these things.

Capetonian

#109 Post by Capetonian » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:58 pm

The regulations are only of value when adhered to. We have seen that they are not.

The reality is that because of misuse, drones should not be allowed in the hands of the general public except under strict and enforceable regulation . We've seen that is not possible.

Let's just disagree on this, I can't be bothered to pursue a circular argument with you.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#110 Post by ian16th » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:31 am

The rules, if they exist, are different in different countries.
Cynicism improves with age

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#111 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:13 am

Well this is progress; https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -fine.html

It will be interesting to see how many people actually do the test and register their drones. Also it will be interesting to see how well the CAA enforce the new regulations.........
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

Capetonian

#112 Post by Capetonian » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:27 am

Drone users must now register and complete theory test
The legislation aims to tackle drone-related incidents such as the one which caused chaos at Gatwick Airport last year.

Better far too late than never.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#113 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:47 am

No way is enforcement going to be effective enough to bother anyone. Police are all too busy arresting Facebook posters for 'hate crimes'.

Capetonian

#114 Post by Capetonian » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:52 am

Exactly, as per my comments to UP earlier on this thread.

Slasher

#115 Post by Slasher » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:46 am

Dunno about all that over there, but at home my son can fly his drone as long as it’s outside the 5nm local AD ARP radius (which we are) without any registration stuff.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#116 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:08 am

New Zealand has Rules for drones, i.e. not above 400 ft and not within 4 km of a "listed" airfield, day only, for a start.

New Zealand also has Rules about not driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, maximum speed limits when driving, not strangling young british female visitors whilst indulging in "kinky" sexual practices, not gunning down occupants of a Mosque whilst occupants are attending religious services. etc. etc.

Yeah ! Right !
There are regulations which determine where and when these may be used, the problem is one of enforcement.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#117 Post by CharlieOneSix » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:56 pm

I will poke my head above the parapet and admit to operating a Phantom 3 Advanced quadcopter fitted with a camera. I refuse to call it a drone. The idiots who caused all the mayhem at LGW mean that the CAA will now take an annual £9 registration fee from me and my registration number has to be attached to my Phantom and on my conventional model aircraft.

In order to take advantage of their £25m personal liability insurance cover I am a paid up country member of the British Model Flying Association – i.e. I don’t belong to a club. As a result of not having any of their operating certificates which clubs insist upon and which the CAA accept as exempting individuals from any test, I had to take a CAA online test to prove my knowledge of the law in respect of quadcopters. The test was 8 multichoice questions with 3 choices for each question. Aha, I thought, just like the type technical exams when I was flying….so I didn’t RTFQ properly on two of them. Who on earth ever heard of two out of three options being correct on a multichoice question! The text however did state tick all correct answers – I just didn’t see that.

So I passed anyway. I now have an achievement certificate lodged with the BMFA who kindly will forward my £9 to the CAA when I renew my membership this month. I’m sure this system will stop any further transgression of airspace by rogue ‘drone’ operators. Will it hell!! X(
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#118 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:10 am

I think every one here will agree with the final comment in this article regarding a very close miss; https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... rport.html

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#119 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:22 am

While it sounds impressive that 75 % of Drone owners have registered, the worry is that it still leaves about 45,000 owners who have not. And I can't believe it's because they can't afford the nine pound fee.

The latest from the Daily Wail; https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... 1-000.html

Capetonian

#120 Post by Capetonian » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:53 am

I don't know how it is now but in the the old days when you purchased a TV you had to prove that you had a TV licence, if not the shop would apply on your behalf.

Would it not be possible to legislate similarly for anyone purchasing a drone? I realise it's not a perfect solution, but it's a step.