Meaning of Notam

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Meaning of Notam

#21 Post by Boac » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:36 pm

No, Slasher- what I posted was not

"LLZ was an example of Take Off Guidance" which is gibberish! What I posted to try and help you and your students was a definition of a 'Guided Take-off' and you are still 'fuctifuno' what that is!!

I thought you were AB and LVO qualified and would have understood! Have you ever heard of the yaw bar or HUD? Find an instructor where you work and ask!

Guided Take off on 08L at Henry Coanda requires Cat III type localiser protection. There are things called 'Jeppesen'/'LIDO' etc which tell you that. Ask someone to let you see a copy.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#22 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:39 pm

Slasher and BOAC, I was dragged reading those NOTAM because a friend ask me to check the weather. She is to afraid of planes and the issue here we can't have her asking the operating crew for the way they read the NOTAM. Then again it might be a good idea to ask her to visit the FD and ask the SO for an explanation.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#23 Post by Boac » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:42 pm

Ris - there are excellent sites that 'translate' NOTAMS into 'English'. =))

I should perhaps point out that you are very unlikely to get any useful weather information from a NOTAM!!!

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#24 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:08 pm

I enjoy reading the NOTAM. I know I live a sad life.☺

Slasher

#25 Post by Slasher » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:45 pm

Stop taking the piss Boac. I know what Cat IIIa is and the yaw bar. Never used HUD although that would've been very useful in Beijing and Europe during Winter.

Kids aren't taught anything more than Cat 1, and only to 800m not 550m. 550m is only demonstrated. Cat II and above require special courses and endorsements for pilots after a certain minimum time on line (usually 6 months on type). I don't teach it yet. That'll come later.

Cat II recency and above are usually done during IPC with this mob and not during a LOFT. I don't do IPCs because I'm not an examiner of airman here yet.

RiS - stop reading notams and get the F/O to do it. He'll get out his highlighter and tell you all the relevant ones if the Dispatcher doesn't. All you need do is check the weather to make sure you're not flying to where angels and Boac fear to tread. :-s

And if you are take plenty of gas! ⛽️

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26 Post by Rwy in Sight » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:53 am

Thanks to all involved here.

Slasher sage advice both on NOTAM evaluation and gas load.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27 Post by Boac » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:57 am

No charge for the training, Slasher and Ris :-bd