New TV prog - Fighter Pilot: The Real Top Gun

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

New TV prog - Fighter Pilot: The Real Top Gun

#1 Post by CharlieOneSix » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:42 am

Just a heads up for this three part programme on ITV in the UK starting at 2100 Tuesday 20 August. It follows three studes for a year though fighter pilot training and also interviews British pilots as they prepare to bring the F-35 to the UK.

A computer would not work on an F-35 prior to one sortie. Engineering support says try switching it off and on again. Nothing changes! I suppose it's running Windows!
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Slasher

Re: New TV prog - Fighter Pilot: The Real Top Gun

#2 Post by Slasher » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:27 am

Or a ***** update that causes the whole bloody aircraft to be useless.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:38 am

Boldface Drills.
Turn the Aircraft OFF
Turn the Aircraft ON

If normal function not restored..
Contact Customer Support on 1-800 WEL FUKT

"You are being welcome. My name is Archibald. I am making apologies for 45 minute wait. How may I be helping you Sir?....Sir?.....Sir?"

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Boac » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:26 pm

F22.png
F22.png (8.15 KiB) Viewed 994 times

Rossian
Capt
Capt

Re: has anyone actually watched it?....

#5 Post by Rossian » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:31 pm

.....I saw a bit of it, and the one fact that jumped out was the guy who said "...it's been 9 years to get here". He deserves to pass for sheer endurance. How awful! Why would any young man want to join this air force? Is this what the "new" flying traing system looks like?

The Ancient Mariner

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by CharlieOneSix » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:16 pm

I watched it and thought it was good. The '9 years to get here' bit was a surprise but I suppose times change. RN helicopter pilots nowadays are all Lieutenants by the time they reach their first front line Squadron - not sure about their length of flying training. From the time I started flying training in '64 to the time I joined my first front line Squadron as an Acting Sub Lieutenant and a supposedly qualified anti-submarine helicopter pilot was 17 months* - and that included being backcoursed due to two months in hospital.

Those were the days when 5 O Levels were sufficient to join but nowadays all RN Pilots and Observers I believe will have gained a BSc honours degree by the time their training is complete. The 8 year Short Service Commission option has long gone, just the 12 year option remains.
*EDIT: I'm not comparing like with like there - from joining to front line was 2 years 4 months.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org