The amazing capabilities of home flight simulation

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

The amazing capabilities of home flight simulation

#1 Post by Boac » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:41 am

While I was doing some 'real' simulator training for those wishing to find employment in airlines, I used MS Flt SIM with add-ons for the 737, 747 and 777 to help prepare my 'exercises' and could not, quite frankly, have managed without! I recall setting my 737 off in VNAV and LNAV from LGW to GVA to look at timings, waiting for cruise alt, setting IAF altitude in the MCP and going off to Tescos to return to 'the seat' for the autoland on one occasion. :-bd

Now I see you have everything from space simulation to micro-lights, and of course the graphics are just incredible.

Anyone else here 'dabble'?

MoreAviation

Re: The amazing capabilities of home flight simulation

#2 Post by MoreAviation » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:03 pm

I haven't but your thread is well timed as I was about to ask whether anybody here had used PC simulation software to prepare for IR renewals etc? As the power of processors has increased, the PC does seem to be a likely candidate for an in home simulator (not full motion obviously) with a couple of additions such a yoke, pedals, throttles etc.

Does this sound reasonable or am I just a gullible fool who doesn't realise that it is all about boring a hole in the sky at great cost to oneself and the planet.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Boac » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:11 pm

Yes, I have and no you are not! Mind you I have not gone as far as yoke and pedals.....

I have also used the FS for teaching NDB tracking ("what is that" I hear the CotML cry.............) and as a 'brush up' on the way the needles move and to play with FMS/CDU/LNAV etc, quite brilliant.

MoreAviation

#4 Post by MoreAviation » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:21 pm

Boac wrote:Yes, I have and no you are not! Mind you I have not gone as far as yoke and pedals.....

I have also used the FS for teaching NDB tracking ("what is that" I hear the CotML cry.............) and as a 'brush up' on the way the needles move and to play with FMS/CDU/LNAV etc, quite brilliant.

Do you recommend Microsoft FS as a good application to start off with in the Sim world and, if you do, do you know if it will allow the additions of peripherals such as a yoke etc?

As for NDB tracking, I am sitting here with the Oxford Aviation "IMC rating and Instrument Flying Multimedia and Flight Training CD just to brush up again on the finer nuances of flying those pesky NDB approaches of which there are still plenty in Southern Africa and Africa generally... :)

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Boac » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:30 pm

I'll have to pass on the 'cockpit additions' MA, since I did not use them. Many years ago I bought a 'stick' to enable me to play F15s in the gulf games - it was good. I found the PMDG series add-ons were good for Boeing and AB.

If you just want to track in and outs on the needles, I suggest autopilot in at a suitable altitude and just use the left+right keys to start with. When you get to the uppy/downy bit, it is not too crucial if you set the wrong rate of descent. Remember when you crash, go make another coffee. :-bd

If only we good trap a few Flt Sim nutters here.......................... :)

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Wodrick » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:21 pm

Does an add on Microlite with an added autopilot and then flying it round the world while on nights in Maintrol for a well known charter operator count ?

Did it with an L10e following the route of you know who as well, didn't crash nr Howland Island though.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

ribrash

#7 Post by ribrash » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:14 pm

Just found this thread.Have worked my way through all the MS FLT sims as they came out.Good fun and keeps one current till the lotto turns up.

Slasher

#8 Post by Slasher » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:57 pm

Only ever use MS Combat flight sim. Don't muck around with it much these days but now and then the Japs and Luftwaffe need a sound thrashing.

Slasher

#9 Post by Slasher » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:30 pm

I think Team Fusion did some pretty amazing stuff.

[bbvideo=560,315]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v6u4JxgE2S4[/bbvideo]

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:33 pm

I'm afraid to dabble, I know it will consume me ! I'll wait for the wheelchair era I think.

Slasher

#11 Post by Slasher » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:50 pm

Yeh once the code is rewritten and a schmick new IL-2 is released I'm definitely gonna download it! :D

unifoxos
Capt
Capt

#12 Post by unifoxos » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:42 am

What Speedbird said - if I start on it I'll never stop, and maybe never get motivated to get back in the air for real.
Sent from my tatty old Windoze PC.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by John Hill » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:05 am

We have a moderately complex simulator in our museum set up as an ATR72. It is interesting to see the differing approach to 'flying' by people of different ages.

The older guys look at the scenery display trying to find our airstrip but when they do they are almost always too high, too fast and too late. The younger members are more likely to engage autopilot immediately after take off and do a nice straight in approach almost every time.
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.