Aircraft engine falls off truck in Sydney

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Aircraft engine falls off truck in Sydney

#1 Post by Alisoncc » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:37 am

A seven-tonne aircraft engine has blocked traffic in Sydney's south-west after falling off the back of a truck.
Emergency services were called to Forest Road at Arncliffe about 9:30am on Tuesday, after reports a truck had lost its load.
Police said an aircraft engine weighing about seven tonnes had fallen onto the road from the side of a heavy vehicle trailer.
Officers said the driver had used restraints that were designed to bear a load of 900 kilograms.

aircraft engine.jpg
aircraft engine.jpg (225.27 KiB) Viewed 976 times

Probably got a bit bent in the process. Any guesses as to what it might be? Definitely for driving something bigger than your average BN2A.
Reckon the truck driver is going to be well out of pocket after paying for repairs to the engine.

So Mr 747 pilot where did you get your new engine from? "Fell off the back of a lorry". :D

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Aircraft engine falls off truck in Sydney

#2 Post by Boac » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:16 pm

Hey Bruce! Can you drop an engine off for us?

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by 500N » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:25 pm

Bet the NRMA can't fix this one :D

Capetonian

#4 Post by Capetonian » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:04 pm

About 10 years ago, an engine fell off an aircraft on climbout from FACT/CPT.
I imagine that had it landed on the Cape Flats, it would have been sold as 'fell off the wing of a 737, honest, boss!'
Sadly, it was the beginning of the end of a very fine airline, Nationwide.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by om15 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:09 pm

The engine is a GE CF6, we used to transport this engine by road when we carried out engine changes on our A300B4 Freighters away from base, we had to use special air load engine transportation stands to prevent shaft bow caused by bumpy roads.
The shock caused to the main shaft will require engine disassembly to check for shaft bow, even if there s no actual impact damage to the engine, if the engine was en route for overhaul it might not be too bad as it will be stripped anyway, if it is a serviceable engine someone will be wincing at the impending invoice.

MoreAviation

#6 Post by MoreAviation » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:02 pm

Capetonian wrote:About 10 years ago, an engine fell off an aircraft on climbout from FACT/CPT.
I imagine that had it landed on the Cape Flats, it would have been sold as 'fell off the wing of a 737, honest, boss!'
Sadly, it was the beginning of the end of a very fine airline, Nationwide.

Nationwide was far from being a 'fine' airline. The reason the engine fell off was found to be that Nationwide Aircraft Maintenance, had failed to implement the mandated service directive to inspect the rear engine mounting on the 737-200 series aircraft every 700 cycles. As a result they were not aware of the existence of a stress fracture in one of the engine retaining bolts which failed at rotation from Cape Town. The fracture had been caused by improper maintenance procedures (overtightening of the bolt). Further investigation by SACAA found a lack of the required maintenance documentation and in fact Nationwide maintenance was not authorised to be undertaking such maintenance at all. The airline was grounded for perfectly good reasons and eventually succumbed due to cash flow issues.

The pilots of the 737 were the only folks to emerge with any credit from the fiasco, Captain Trevor Arnold receiving an award for the handling of the emergency. FO Daniel Perry who was handling pilot at the time the engine fell off was also praised for his airmanship. They were very lucky to get away with it.

MA

Capetonian

#7 Post by Capetonian » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:13 pm

Agree, you make a good point there. I was aware of all that, but they were a great airline to fly with and provided the SAA/BA duopoly with much needed competition.
I was sad when they faded out.

MoreAviation

#8 Post by MoreAviation » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:19 pm

Capetonian wrote:Agree, you make a good point there. I was aware of all that, but they were a great airline to fly with and provided the SAA/BA duopoly with much needed competition.
I was sad when they faded out.

Agree with your sentiment. Vernon Bricknell certainly seemed to emerge financially unscathed whereas a lot of good people lost their jobs etc. I note he still races cars etc.

MA

MoreAviation

#9 Post by MoreAviation » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:38 pm

I was reminded by this thread of the loss of the engine and aircraft associated with American Airlines Flight 191. The engine tumbled back over the wing, damaged the hydraulics which caused the slats to retract resulting in the wing stalling and loss of control of the aircraft.

http://airwaysnews.com/blog/2014/05/25/ ... ars-later/

[bbvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtCf_yNUrTM[/bbvideo]

MA