Anybody for hypergolic fuels, C, T or Z-Stoff or anything to do with rockets at all?

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Anybody for hypergolic fuels, C, T or Z-Stoff or anything to do with rockets at all?

#1 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:22 pm

Since I was a young boy I have always been fascinated with things that go bang, like my uncle before me who managed to blow his thumb off in this pursuit as a child.

I find rockets generally and their engine designs and fuels fascinating and my boyhood heroes were people like Russian Valentin Glushko and the German, Dr. Eugen Sänger, among many others, who made the first test firings, many using so-called hypergolic, or, crudely, fuel components that self or spontaneously ignite when they come into contact.

Sänger, for instance, used liquid (or sometimes gaseous) oxygen and a light fuel oil and used an clever chemical trick to get his motor firing. He filled the part of his fuel line next to the motor with diethyl zinc, to act as what we now call a “hypergolic starting slug.” When this was injected into the motor and hit the oxygen it ignited spontaneously, so that when the fuel oil arrived the fire was already burning well. Sad to relate it was this basic hypergolic fuel ignition concept using other chemicals and fuels such as the 'Stoff' noted in the thread title, that resulted in the engine that powered the Messerschmitt Me 163B Komet aircraft, and other destructive German rockets during the war. Wunderwaffen that were not so wonderful at all really at the time.

Ended up working for the French

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

k3k3
Capt
Capt

Re: Anybody for hypergolic fuels, C, T or Z-Stoff or anything to do with rockets at all?

#2 Post by k3k3 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:47 pm

Avpin returns!

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Anybody for hypergolic fuels, C, T or Z-Stoff or anything to do with rockets at all?

#3 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:06 pm

k3k3 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:47 pm
Avpin returns!
Isopropyl nitrate! :)

I found this wonderful anecdote about that very substance lurking on this site...

http://rhodesianforces.org/No1sqnavpin.html
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Why was the X-15 black?

#4 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:50 pm

Why was the hypersonic X-15 painted black I ask you and wonder myself?

Another question that bugs my cement head from time to time? I mean, wouldn't you want to paint your aircraft white to radiate that heat away, like the Concorde did so effectively at transonic speeds!

https://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/his ... 1spch.html

After reading the link above I am guessing that as a research aircraft the boffins wanted something that was as close to the hypothetical "black body" as possible to allow a baseline for understanding the ability of an aircraft with a known drag profile and metallic construction to handle friction induced heating at specific speeds and altitudes?

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Why was the X-15 black?

#5 Post by Alisoncc » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:33 am

Cos the white paint had all been used up painting kerbs, and rocks and fings, and the green used for painting patches of burnt grass around the pans.
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:46 am

Alisoncc wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:33 am
Cos the white paint had all been used up painting kerbs, and rocks and fings, and the green used for painting patches of burnt grass around the pans.
:)

As ever in the military... You are probably right.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by ian16th » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:50 am

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:50 pm
Another question that bugs my cement head from time to time? I mean, wouldn't you want to paint your aircraft white to radiate that heat away, like the Concorde did so effectively at transonic speeds!
......and the Vickers Valiant!
XD 816 with 214 matkings 1968 s.jpg
XD 816 with 214 matkings 1968 s.jpg (34.38 KiB) Viewed 4887 times
Cynicism improves with age

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:08 pm

ian16th wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:50 am

......and the Vickers Valiant
All the better to protect the aircraft from the nuclear flash.

I remember reading somewhere that a US spy aircraft got a little too close to the Russian detonation of the Tsar Bomba and was significantly charred by the flash, x-rays and so on.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsar_Bomba

The bomb was detonated at the Sukhoy Nos ("Dry Nose") cape of Severny Island, Novaya Zemlya, 15 km (9.3 mi) from Mityushikha Bay, north of Matochkin Strait.The detonation was secret but was detected by US Intelligence agencies. The US apparently had an instrumented KC-135R aircraft (Operation SpeedLight) in the area of the test, close enough to have been scorched by the blast
https://products.kitsapsun.com/archive/ ... cs_of.html

The crew were pretty much cooked by radiation too as that interesting article highlights.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."