Commercial aircraft at air shows

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Commercial aircraft at air shows

#1 Post by llondel » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:23 pm

Someone linked me to a video on FB of an A380 landing about 20 seconds after a preceding aircraft (A330?) started its take off roll. It seems to be at Farnborough, so I'm prepared to believe they were that close in separation but operating pretty much empty. The A380 wingspan is much wider than the Farnborough runway.

In doing measurements I noted that the runway at Farnborough appear to only be 4000ft long between the piano keys and got to wondering what the unladen performance of an A380 is - how short a runway does it need for take off and landing? I'm guessing the ballpark figure is "not much" if everything was dialled up to 11. The departing aircraft looks like it only used about 2000ft. I assume they've done the numbers and someone in ATC was ready and told the departing aircraft "GO!" at the appropriate point in the A380 approach.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Commercial aircraft at air shows

#2 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:51 pm

Both those aircraft types displayed at the last two Farnborough airshows (the last in 2018 being probably the very last show ever at Farnborough and possibly one of the last for the A380 as well)!

O tempora o mores! :((

The short take off and climb performance (high alpha) of the A380 with minimal fuel and minimal load save for the pilots was extraordinary to behold for such a large aircraft. Don't know the numbers for that aircraft but no doubt an A380 Captain will happen upon your interesting question and answer it.

For the A380 take off go to 2:36
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Commercial aircraft at air shows

#3 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:33 pm

I couldn't help myself. I had to look it up.

A30 take off numbers.JPG
A380 landing numbers.JPG
A380 800

5000 ft seems to be the shortest a production aircraft might be looking at for a take off but place two test pilots in a very light aircraft and magic happens...
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."