Béla Barényi - the art of the Crumple and Survival Cell

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Béla Barényi - the art of the Crumple and Survival Cell

#21 Post by Boac » Tue May 04, 2021 3:41 pm

TGG wrote:I can see why a rearward facing seat would require strengthening due to the moment of inertia comprising of the whole weight of the upright human body (higher centre of gravity) with the hinge point being on the floor, which implies floor strengthening too, but are we to continue to let forward sitting passengers flap forward, submarining down around the pitiful pivot of the belt causing internal injuries, as their legs thrash forward in the case of accidents, often breaking shin bones, with their heads banging against the back to the seat in front of them too, causing neck injuries as well, thereby disabling them and preventing emergency egress in the case of fire etc.
Short answer - probably.

You've obviously expeienced one of my flights.................. =))

Work out how many crashes result in survivable events and do the sums. Everything in all life is balanced on risk.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#22 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue May 04, 2021 3:50 pm

Boac wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 3:41 pm
TGG wrote:I can see why a rearward facing seat would require strengthening due to the moment of inertia comprising of the whole weight of the upright human body (higher centre of gravity) with the hinge point being on the floor, which implies floor strengthening too, but are we to continue to let forward sitting passengers flap forward, submarining down around the pitiful pivot of the belt causing internal injuries, as their legs thrash forward in the case of accidents, often breaking shin bones, with their heads banging against the back to the seat in front of them too, causing neck injuries as well, thereby disabling them and preventing emergency egress in the case of fire etc.
Short answer - probably.

You've obviously expeienced one of my flights.................. =))

Work out how many crashes result in survivable events and do the sums. Everything in all life is balanced on risk.
True... ;)))

I am sure all your landings were sylph and Sphinx like.... =))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#23 Post by Undried Plum » Tue May 04, 2021 4:12 pm

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:25 am
Barényi is also credited with first conceiving the original design for the German people's car (the Volkswagen Beetle) in 1925, – notably by Mercedes-Benz, on their website, including his original technical drawing, – five years before Ferdinand Porsche claimed to have made his initial version.
Even the slightest rear-end dink into a Beetle by any ordinary car of normal front-bumper height, would bugger the starter motor and the alternator.

I experienced that twice, as a bumpee, within three weeks in Nigeria when Beetles ("Built in Nigeria for Nigerian roads") were standard issue by the Nigerio-British-European oil company for whom I worked at the time. I sent a stinker of an internal memo and was gifted a Peugot 504 (or was it a 405?) as compensation for my troubles.

Mebbe Herr Barényi's notion was that an alternator/motor was a suitable rear crumple zone to protect one's arsche.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#24 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue May 04, 2021 4:19 pm

Undried Plum wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 4:12 pm
TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:25 am
Barényi is also credited with first conceiving the original design for the German people's car (the Volkswagen Beetle) in 1925, – notably by Mercedes-Benz, on their website, including his original technical drawing, – five years before Ferdinand Porsche claimed to have made his initial version.
Even the slightest rear-end dink into a Beetle by any ordinary car of normal front-bumper height, would bugger the starter motor and the alternator.

I experienced that twice, as a bumpee, within three weeks in Nigeria when Beetles ("Built in Nigeria for Nigerian roads") were standard issue by the Nigerio-British-European oil company for whom I worked at the time. I sent a stinker of an internal memo and was gifted a Peugot 504 (or was it a 405?) as compensation for my troubles.

Mebbe Herr Barényi's notion was that an alternator/motor was a suitable rear crumple zone to protect one's arsche.
The story of the VW is very interesting.

https://josefganz.org/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josef_Ganz

My grandfather, who worked for GM in SA, knew Ganz through his trips to Australia.

The very first time I drove a car, an Opel Kadett, I contrived to dent a VW, driven by a German from South West Africa whose father had been a ME 109 pilot. After a rocky start (I had dented his pride and joy after all) we became friends...I think he forgave me because I was driving a German designed car.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."