Rolls Royce Blade Production...

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Rolls Royce Blade Production...

#1 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:43 pm

The blades on the Rolls Royce big bypass burners have always fascinated me. Does this article imply that these blades are no longer manufactured at Barnoldswick, I know that there were issues back in 2021? If so, I imagine Frank Whittle is turning in his grave!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-l ... 20for%20it.
SINGAPORE—Rolls-Royce is continuing to produce Trent 1000 and Trent XWB fan blades in Singapore at maximum volume, despite depressed demand for widebody aircraft in recent years as a result of the pandemic.

The engine-maker’s Fan Blade Singapore (FBSG) facility at Seletar Aerospace Park is also beginning production of Trent XWB-97 blades. This comes after it ceased manufacturing the Airbus A380’s Trent 900 blades in 2021. Rolls-Royce will be hiring 150 new staff and 130 new trainees in 2022 to fulfill current and future demand across its partnerships, including at local engine MRO provider SAESL.

FBSG has the capacity to produce 6,600 blades annually. All of Rolls’ wide chord fan blade volume was consolidated at the facility as part of the group’s restructuring program in August 2020. FBSG is now in the early process of manufacturing the more powerful Trent XWB-97 blades and is generating the First Article Inspection Report as part of the rolling in process.

“The facility is set up for us to deliver fan blades over the decades to come and we look very closely at what the demand signal [for widebody aircraft] looks like for all the different engine types. And we have our flow line set up in a way that it can mix between the different fan blade types,” said Bicky Bhangu, Rolls-Royce’s president for Southeast Asia, the Pacific and South Korea.

“We’re definitely positioned to take a majority of the global volumes to be able to run out, as and when the demand signals from the global fleet ramps up,” he added.

Rolls estimates that its engines are currently flying at 60% of pre-pandemic levels, compared to the 40% over the same month last year, and says MRO demand for these engines continues since some works are still based on the passing of time, regardless of actual flying hours.

The FBSG facility is in the midst of bringing in new energy sources and studying others to ensure it meets its net zero emission target by 2030. The Singapore plant has installed several solar panels that supply 8% of its total energy consumption. Bhangu says there are plans to switch its furnace fuel from compressed natural gas to liquefied natural gas.

https://aviationweek.com/shownews/singa ... c649087ecc
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Rolls Royce Blade Production...

#2 Post by G-CPTN » Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:51 pm

We had a member (here, or on TOP) whose job was inspecting turbine blades.

I think he emigrated to the Philippines and married locally.

Nigel? Lasernigel?

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:54 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:51 pm

The blade technology employed by Rolls Royce, is a true jewel in the crown of British technology, if, as it seems, these blades are no longer manufactured onshore then all I can say is, quo vadis Britain? :-?
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:00 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:51 pm

Nigel? Lasernigel?
I wondered what had happened to Lasernigel! :-bd

Back in the day I did some contract work for Engelhard Industries here in the UK on a project to manufacture platinum based sensors for Rolls Royce. Of course Engelhard are now non est. BASF uber alles!
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:16 pm

It seems highly likely that the British workforce at the Barnoldswick site were being shafted as of the last quarter last year...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-l ... e-58149147
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."