People's opinion on airlines

Capetonian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: People's opinion on airlines

#21 Post by Capetonian » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:06 pm

I suppose it depends on your priorities, budget, convenience, quality, number of transits.

If it were me, I'd use CX (from ZRH). SU have some low fares and can be good, can also be dire, it's pot luck. If you're an AF fan and don't mind the transit at CDG, that would be a good option, and I'm told that CDG transits are better than they used to be, which wouldn't be difficult.

BA are cheap too.

There are more options in business class.
One thing you can say for the French, when civilization falls they have less far to fall than everyone else.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#22 Post by Woody » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:17 pm

Finnair via Helsinki are a popular way of getting to the Far East.
Can the last person to leave,please feed the cat.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#23 Post by ian16th » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:12 pm

Woody wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:17 pm
Finnair via Helsinki are a popular way of getting to the Far East.
The last time I was SLF in a Caravelle was with Finnair.

Dates me, doesn't it?
Wine improves with age
I improve with wine :YMPARTY:

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#24 Post by OFSO » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:39 pm

Beat you, Ian. My first Air India flight, LDN to FFaM, was in a 707. Food was superb.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:08 pm

OFSO,

my MBA thesis supervisor was doing his PhD in an aviation related subject and while we were discussing aviation matters he mentioned having lentil soup for breakfast on an Air India flight from London to Rome. Well really avant garde.

1DC
Capt
Capt

#26 Post by 1DC » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:52 pm

My first long haul flight was London to Bahrein in 1957 and we dined when we stopped. Dinner was either Zurich or Rome but i think Zurich. Breakfast was at Cairo and Lunch was at Bahrein but I got off there. Cairo and Bahrein were sand runways, the airline was Air Ceylon and the aircraft was a Constellation. The flight was crewed by KLM, we left LHR about 1600 and arrived at BAH about 1330 the next day, I think..The flight then went on to Karachi and Bombay before arriving at Colombo.. I clearly remember the glow of the exhaust pipes from the engines during the night..
Another thing i remember was that all the men wore jacket and tie.The chap sat next to me was a Bank Manager being transferred to Karachi for two years and i remember he took his tie off when we arrived at Bahrein and another passenger asked him if he realised that he wasn't wearing his tie!
How times have changed..

fin
Capt
Capt

#27 Post by fin » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:33 am

Just checked my list, and it seems I have flown on 78 different airlines, beginning in 1955.

Sad to say, over half of the ones at the top of the list no longer exist, from Mohawk and Eastern to Pan Am and TWA.

Remembering early flights is also depressing, as there seems to be a linear curve showing declining enjoyment with every passing year.

Sometimes, a unique experience of one kind or another will color my opinion of an airline. LanChile invited me to the cockpit to watch the landing in Lima, whereas, on a brand new Air Malaysia 767, I was seated next to a strikingly beautiful woman who stank so bad that every time she moved, my eyes watered. The Stewardess didn't need to ask me why I wanted to change seats, but sadly nothing was available.

FWIW, I wish someone had posted a list explaining the abbreviations at the top of this topic.

As for Asia, I went on EVA Air, which was a new one for me (NY to Taipei) but it was a stunningly lovely flight. IMO worth checking out.
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

Smeagol
Capt
Capt

#28 Post by Smeagol » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:17 pm

Hope your trip was successful and enjoyable Octopussy. Any feedback on what airline you flew with and how the 'experience' was?

I will be travelling UK to Taiwan and back several times in the coming months and it looks like I will be using China airlines from LGW. I would prefer to go NOR, AMS, TPE but cannot get Premium Economy on the route. Means I have to get to LGW from Norfolk which is a bit of a pain. Anyone have an opinion on China airlines?

Octopussy2
Capt
Capt

#29 Post by Octopussy2 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:30 pm

Hi Smeagol, sorry haven't been on this thread for a while. I ended up on BA via LHR at the suggestion of my travel department - which I went with because it's one of the 2 airlines I'm collecting airmiles with. Premium Economy was....ok. It was a 777 I think. Actually, it wasn't that ok. The seats were uncomfortable to try and sleep in, the food wasn't special, there was just enough booze and the entertainment was pathetic - I just assumed there would be the kind of selection you get on Emirates, but there wasn't and it seemed old-fashioned and clunky. So - bearable but nothing special.

Oh and you don't get a pillow, just an uncomfortable, inadequate cushion, which didn't help with the sleeping.