YYZ to downtown transit fares slashed

Tall Bird
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
YYZ to downtown transit fares slashed

#1 Post by Tall Bird » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:28 pm

Good news for travellers on the UPX transit system between Pearson YYZ and downtown Union Station. In a bid to increase usage on the line, fares have been slashed by more than half. From 9 March Presto card holders will pay $9 instead of $19 and non-card holders $12 rather than $27.50. How wonderful that nice Premier Wynne :)) has timed the price cut just before my visit! :-bd

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016/02 ... -half.html

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: YYZ to downtown transit fares slashed

#2 Post by rgbrock1 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:47 pm

Pearson YYZ is in Swaziland, isn't it? :D
Pro Deo et Constitutione — Libertas aut Mors

Tall Bird
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Tall Bird » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:32 pm

:)) :)) :)) Insult away - I have no allegiance to Trawna/TO/Tronno. However, the Aged Ps live next door and I have a very Liberal friend living downtown. :-? Must ask how Justin is getting on!

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by rgbrock1 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:37 pm

Tall Bird wrote::)) :)) :)) Insult away - I have no allegiance to Trawna/TO/Tronno. However, the Aged Ps live next door and I have a very Liberal friend living downtown. :-? Must ask how Justin is getting on!

Not meant as an insult. Just being my typical wise-ass. Don't know how long you've been in Toronto but I'm sure you've been there long enough to have at least seen Brock University?

54Phan
Snr FO
Snr FO

#5 Post by 54Phan » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:11 pm

Ermmm, as Brock University is in St Catharines, not Toronto, that could be a problem;). Let me hastily add that it is a fine seat of learning, sir.

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by rgbrock1 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:17 pm

54Phan wrote:Ermmm, as Brock University is in St Catharines, not Toronto, that could be a problem;). Let me hastily add that it is a fine seat of learning, sir.

My bad, yes Brock University is indeed located in St. Catharines. I'm sure my deceased relatives are rolling in their graves after that little faux pas of mine. :D

54Phan
Snr FO
Snr FO

#7 Post by 54Phan » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:36 pm

Well, anything to get some attention, ehh?

Tall Bird
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Tall Bird » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:39 pm

Are you related to Sir Isaac rgb? :)) I live in the UK now btw.

Toronto was run by Presbyterians or so the rumour went: Toronto the Good and Closed on Sundays. Kensington & St Lawrence markets were great places during the day but one never went east of Jarvis though. As a student at Queen's, Kingston, first choice of a night out was to head 180 miles east to the heady delights of Montreal. Occasionally, we went west to Toronto. Just remembered, our choice was probably also influenced by the legal age for alcoholic refreshment - in Quebec it was 18 and Ontario 21! To be fair, downtown TO now has many thriving 'quarters' as the PR folks like to call them. Fine casual eating and drinking venues abound. There's even a micro-brewery on my mate's street. :YMPARTY:
No doubt 54Phan, a GTA resident, can add more.....

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by rgbrock1 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:02 pm

Tall Bird wrote:Are you related to Sir Isaac rgb? :)) I live in the UK now btw.

Toronto was run by Presbyterians or so the rumour went: Toronto the Good and Closed on Sundays. Kensington & St Lawrence markets were great places during the day but one never went east of Jarvis though. As a student at Queen's, Kingston, first choice of a night out was to head 180 miles east to the heady delights of Montreal. Occasionally, we went west to Toronto. Just remembered, our choice was probably also influenced by the legal age for alcoholic refreshment - in Quebec it was 18 and Ontario 21! To be fair, downtown TO now has many thriving 'quarters' as the PR folks like to call them. Fine casual eating and drinking venues abound. There's even a micro-brewery on my mate's street. :YMPARTY:
No doubt 54Phan, a GTA resident, can add more.....

Sir Isaac Brock is my Great Grandfather 3 times removed. (I think it's 3 times removed but I'd have to check Ancestry.com to validate.) My paternal side of the family - the Brock's - hail from England, Ireland and Scotland (more from the latter) via Canada where many remained, and still do to this day. My cousin Mary Brock, for example, lives in Toronto and I'm in contact with her quite often. My uncle Douglas Brock, my aforementioned cousin Mary, my sister Anita and I spent a lot of time constructing our family tree via ancestry.com and all were quite astounded by how far back we were able to collaboratively go.
But that's a different topic entirely. But, yes, Isaac is my great grandfather -3.

Tall Bird
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by Tall Bird » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:36 am

:ymblushing: Apologies rgb for being the smartarse re Sir Isaac. Most of us girlies fell in love with his portrait in our ?grade 9 history book. :) IIRC, he never married so was he an uncle ancestor rather than a grandfather?

Back to UPX, it's still good value unlike the Heathrow Express rip off: £27 on the day for a 15/20 minute ride. :-q

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by rgbrock1 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:23 pm

Tall Bird wrote::ymblushing: Apologies rgb for being the smartarse re Sir Isaac. Most of us girlies fell in love with his portrait in our ?grade 9 history book. :) IIRC, he never married so was he an uncle ancestor rather than a grandfather?

Back to UPX, it's still good value unlike the Heathrow Express rip off: £27 on the day for a 15/20 minute ride. :-q

You are correct, Tall Bird, Isaac never married as I just checked on ancestry.com Here is Isaac's profile from there:

Isaac Brock

1769-1812

Birth 6 October 1769 • St. Peter Port, Guernsey

Death 12 October 1812 • Queenston, Upper Canada

5th great-uncle

Interestingly, Isaac had 7 siblings all of whom came about through the marriage of John Brock - my 5th great grandfather - and Elizabeth Brock nee de Lisle, his wife.

54Phan
Snr FO
Snr FO

#12 Post by 54Phan » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:54 pm

Interesting tidbit about your ancestor, RG. One of my ancestors married the Marquis de Sade. (That disclosure stopped a Grade 11 history class dead in its tracks ;)!) Anytime I go to the airport, I take the TTC (subway) to Kipling station, then the 192 "Airport Rocket" bus to Pearson.

Thankfully, Toronto is a little more lively now. There are thriving arts scenes, including live music and theatre. Alcohol is more freely available as well, thank goodness. I remember my father telling me of spending the weekend in Toronto in the early 60's and going out for a beer on Sunday. He could only be served if he ordered "food", so the waiter would bring a beer and a "cheese sandwich", which was made of plaster! Ah yes, the good old days.

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by rgbrock1 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:06 pm

54Phan wrote:Interesting tidbit about your ancestor, RG. One of my ancestors married the Marquis de Sade. (That disclosure stopped a Grade 11 history class dead in its tracks ;)!) Anytime I go to the airport, I take the TTC (subway) to Kipling station, then the 192 "Airport Rocket" bus to Pearson.

Thankfully, Toronto is a little more lively now. There are thriving arts scenes, including live music and theatre. Alcohol is more freely available as well, thank goodness. I remember my father telling me of spending the weekend in Toronto in the early 60's and going out for a beer on Sunday. He could only be served if he ordered "food", so the waiter would bring a beer and a "cheese sandwich", which was made of plaster! Ah yes, the good old days.

I spent a fair amount of time, as a youth with my parents, vacationing in St. Catharines, Port Dover (often) or Toronto, all of which I have fond recollections of especially Port Dover.

The Marquis de Sade? Wow!

54Phan
Snr FO
Snr FO

#14 Post by 54Phan » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:13 pm

It was her mother who had him imprisoned in the Bastille! Anyway, many happy memories of Toronto myself from when my hair was brown and I was young and carefree. It became a much grimmer place when I started my Life Sentence at The Coalface, but that comes to an end July 8th!!!

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by rgbrock1 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:15 pm

54Phan wrote:It was her mother who had him imprisoned in the Bastille! Anyway, many happy memories of Toronto myself from when my hair was brown and I was young and carefree. It became a much grimmer place when I started my Life Sentence at The Coalface, but that comes to an end July 8th!!!

"Life sentence at The Coalface"

??????????????????????????????????????????????

54Phan
Snr FO
Snr FO

#16 Post by 54Phan » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:55 pm

My job, which steals my soul and greys my hair, but does give me to buy beer.

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by rgbrock1 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:12 pm

54Phan wrote:My job, which steals my soul and greys my hair, but does give me to buy beer.

Well, if you can buy beer from the fruits of your labor then not all is lost as we all know - well some of us do anyway - that beer is a major staple of life!!!

Prosit.

54Phan
Snr FO
Snr FO

#18 Post by 54Phan » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:35 pm

Well, it does contain grain, yeast and water, just like bread!

To get back to the original post, passenger numbers on the UPX have been very low . Apparently Metrolinx, the body in charge, had stated that it could take 3 years to build the traffic up to a sustainable level on this line. Looks like they're not prepared to wait.