Airports, Designed for Everyone but the Passenger

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Airports, Designed for Everyone but the Passenger

#21 Post by llondel » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:33 pm

Psychology only works on the unaware. If you know what they're trying to get you to do, you might not comply, whereas if you just take statements at face value then you're more likely to follow their lead.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#22 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:20 am

I wouldn't mind flying if I could just be driven through an access gate to the bottom of the steps of the aircraft and board. Most of my passengers did that. I wouldn't even mind if I was frisked by security and passport checked there. I wonder if HM Willem-Alexander did that when he was a F/O. I hate airports. Immigration treat you as if you an illegal immigrant. Security treat you as if you a criminal. Then at the gate it is like a bloody bun fight to get on board. Bloody peasants in tank tops and shorts trying to get in front of you when all we are interested in is the pre departure champers. Now that is a good point for DXB the 1st and business class have their own gate in executive lounges, less chance of catching some dreadful disease.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#23 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:54 am

Me too, for exactly the same reasons. It was all too easy before, and top left hand corner was the best seat in the house anyway !

Slasher

#24 Post by Slasher » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:48 am

llondel wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:33 pm
Psychology only works on the unaware.
True - but then I know me missus loves those huge bloody tubes of Toblerone whereas she never buys 'em at home. So I put it on my DF list as well as whatever expensive perfumes she wants (cheaper in DF).

I've noticed throughout my career that it's mainly wimmin who like pervading these places and succumb to the psychological methods of selling. Blokes tend to go in, get the sh!t they're after, go out. If they really want men to buy useless extra crap they should throw in a free BJ from the sales girl of their choice.

This worked quite well at Robinsons store (jeans dept) near Pat Pong for a time many yonks ago in the very early 1990s.

Capetonian

#25 Post by Capetonian » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:02 am

I try to find a route through the airport that avoid the hideous sights and smells and excesses of 'DF'. I won't buy anything form anyone who approaches me, nor will I have my boarding pass scanned.
I hate walking behind dithering morons with wheely bags looking at the overpriced crap,
Last week I was on a cruise ship. ' DF' Toblerone, the big 750 gram one, £11. W H Smith, £10 for 3.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:39 am

My latest trips have been fairly nice, with a notable exception of the weird turn-around of the latest one. The airline I used does charge for hold baggage but it accepts it free of charge if the flight is full. A polite request (and a short negotiation) allow me to surrender the bag at the check-in, earn a priority sticker and walk flawlessly to the gate. If there is a waiting line at the security I used the free wifi or I looked at the largest tits with the range.

And I am too tight with money to buy anything from DF unless I am sure I need it and the price is lower.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:11 am

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#28 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:37 pm

Blokes tend to go in, get the sh!t they're after, go out.
Same everywhere, Men go shopping for things that they need, or maybe only want, but at least they know what they left home looking for, women go shopping to spend money.

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#29 Post by probes » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:17 am

Slasher wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:48 am
I've noticed throughout my career that it's mainly wimmin who like pervading these places and succumb to the psychological methods of selling.
On the other hand (no pun intended), women have skills for other types of pastime. o:-)
never bored

Slasher

#30 Post by Slasher » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:49 am

You mean apart from cooking and ironing hon? :p ;)))

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#31 Post by Woody » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:44 pm

Rumour mill was that a telephone engineer was called in to fix a problem, f***ed the whole system and disappeared with the immortal words, “ sorry not trained for this “ :((

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -FAIL.html
When all else fails, read the instructions.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:16 am

Reminds me of the time our roster was unexpectedly cancelled in New York, and we were told to pick up tickets at the airport for the flight home. On arrival at the airport the girl at the check-in desk said we couldn't travel because 'the system was down' and so she couldn't print our tickets. The Flt. Eng. silently handed her his pen. We flew home.

Thank God for Flt. Eng's.

Long time ago quote " Flt.Eng's have to be able to do sums, Co-Pilots have to be able to write, but Captains only need to know someone who can read."