Flight Centre documentary on Channel 4

Capetonian

Flight Centre documentary on Channel 4

#1 Post by Capetonian » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:20 am

No great surprise to see this documentary about this nasty shabby outfit that makes huge amounts of money by conning people into believing that they are getting the best possible value air fares.

It's a big well known global company, a name which many people unwisely trust.

One of their techniques is marking up fares by differing amounts depending on what they believe the client will pay. There's nothing illegal about that, but it is of very dubious morality.

They also lie to customers about non refundable tickets telling them that they're non refundable when in fact, they can be refundable albeit with a fee, and are doing the same in respect of change fees.

There's something almost cult-like about the way that they operate.

For simple point to point or return fares the best deals are usually obtained directly from the airlines or their websites.

For more complex journeys a professional travel agent, and Flight Centre are definitely not in that category, would be the best way to go.

Of course, a Flight Centre spokesperson has denied all allegations, and said that such practices are not compliant with company policy. I think the jury is out on that one.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: Flight Centre documentary on Channel 4

#2 Post by 500N » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:04 am

Capetonian wrote:One of their techniques is marking up fares by differing amounts depending on what they believe the client will pay.

Cape

That's one of the rules of retailing, you charge what you think customers will pay,
not as some people do, base it on a mark up amount based on your cost.

Hence why the same product can be sold in different markets and to different sexes at different amounts.
And it is often the females who get charged more.

not saying it is right, just reality.

Capetonian

#3 Post by Capetonian » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:03 pm

I disagree with that. The base fare will always be a variable, according to supply and demand and market conditions, but I think it's an immoral and abusive practice to vary the markup or profit margin, according to the customer profile. The cost to the travel agent of handling and processing the booking is a constant. Where it's not, the booking fee should be based on the time that the travel agent expends with the client as is the case with any other professional be it a lawyer or accountant or whatever.

Because I've had the misfortune to have some exposure to Flight Centre and their shoddy business practices, this is something I feel very strongly about.

There's also the matter of the way they treat their staff, but let's not even go there at this stage.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Alisoncc » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:57 pm

500N wrote:That's one of the rules of retailing, you charge what you think customers will pay, not as some people do, base it on a mark up amount based on your cost.

Doesn't always work though. I don't buy from shops that don't have prices on their goods, even if it's something I want. I will go elsewhere or go without rather than be ripped off.

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)