But I must take my hand baggage

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

But I must take my hand baggage

#1 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:49 pm

http://news.sky.com/story/crew-scream-l ... e-10521987
Yet another example of lack of awareness.If I was in the same situation, the last thing I would be worrying about is my hand baggage. I would be more concerned with staying alive.

The more worrying aspect of these ignorant people's behaviour is that they are endangering other people's lives. Not only those on board the aircraft, but also airport emergency services.

Should overhead lockers be centrally locked? :-?
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

Capetonian

Re: But I must take my hand baggage

#2 Post by Capetonian » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:05 pm

No, because then you will have wuckfits trying to force them open, arguing with the crew, and so on. That would be worse.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by ian16th » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:11 pm

How about if you tell the airline, 'I am a sensible safety aware person. If we get into an emergency situation I will not try to gather my hand baggage and I will immediately exit the a/c'

As a result of signing this above declaration, you are allocated a seat next to the emergency exit, and get the legroom :-bd
Cynicism improves with age

A Lutra Continua
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by A Lutra Continua » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:18 pm

ian16th wrote:How about if you tell the airline, 'I am a sensible safety aware person. If we get into an emergency situation I will not try to gather my hand baggage and I will immediately exit the a/c'

As a result of signing this above declaration, you are allocated a seat next to the emergency exit, and get the legroom :-bd

Never happen. They'd rather make 30 Euros by selling it to some cockwomble.

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by rgbrock1 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:32 pm

A Lutra Continua wrote:
ian16th wrote:How about if you tell the airline, 'I am a sensible safety aware person. If we get into an emergency situation I will not try to gather my hand baggage and I will immediately exit the a/c'

Never happen. They'd rather make 30 Euros by selling it to some cockwomble.

A cockwomble, ALC? New one on me. Is a cockwomble related to a moron, a jerk or an idiot? :D
Pro Deo et Constitutione — Libertas aut Mors

A Lutra Continua
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by A Lutra Continua » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:45 pm

It's the sticky mess left behind by a bellwhiff after humping the leg of a turbobelmer.

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by rgbrock1 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:16 pm

A Lutra Continua wrote:It's the sticky mess left behind by a bellwhiff after humping the leg of a turbobelmer.

Ah, I thought so. #:-S #:-S
Pro Deo et Constitutione — Libertas aut Mors

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Not a very popular thought

#8 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:54 pm

but what is the procedure to get new travel (I.D.) documents after your stuff is lost in a burning plane? I understand that if you end up in some countries without your documents, as a result of leaving everything behind, you can be treated as an illegal immigrant in Iran (not in Europe where you will get all kind of allowance and help).

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Not a very popular thought

#9 Post by ian16th » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:01 pm

Rwy in Sight wrote:but what is the procedure to get new travel (I.D.) documents after your stuff is lost in a burning plane? I understand that if you end up in some countries without your documents, as a result of leaving everything behind, you can be treated as an illegal immigrant in Iran (not in Europe where you will get all kind of allowance and help).

I'd rather be arguing with bureaucrats about my paperwork, than having bureaucrats arguing about which was my body.

Capetonian

#10 Post by Capetonian » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:31 pm

I think the point here s that if you're a bona fide traveller who's lost your documents, it's going to be fairly under those circumstances to establish your credibility and get them reissued in due time, and your life is more important.
On the other hand, if you're some bushy bearded ragheaded invader then you should be treated as an illegal.

reddo
Capt
Capt

#11 Post by reddo » Wed May 10, 2017 10:03 am

It's one of the reasons why I keep my passport, couple of credit cards and my drivers licence (with my home address) on my person when I fly. I usually have my phone with me too. Voilé. No problem. Yes, replacing the stuff in the locker will be a pain but it is replaceable.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by Boac » Wed May 10, 2017 10:22 am

Likewise. Body belt with passport, cards and dosh.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by ian16th » Wed May 10, 2017 3:16 pm

Am I the only one among us that has taken scans of such documents as my passport, driving license, credit and debit cards etc and keep copies of these on my PC, my laptop and my phone?

My phone, a dumb one, has a 16GB memory card and is on my belt, so difficult to separate from my torso.

Capetonian

#14 Post by Capetonian » Wed May 10, 2017 3:27 pm

I have scans of documents, but not CCs and DCs, and they're on Dropbox.
I keep CC and DC details in my diary but written in such a way that nobody who foud it would know what they were, let alone be able to understand them, sometimes even I can't. I keep the 16 digit number, EXP, and CVV.

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Wed May 10, 2017 3:30 pm

Ian no you are not the only one; we both have copies of all documents on our smartphones. However, people still want to see the originals. So, keep your essential documents with you in a pouch or whatever that you can leap out of an aeroplane with! :D
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by ian16th » Wed May 10, 2017 7:31 pm

Mrs Ex-Ascot wrote:Ian no you are not the only one; we both have copies of all documents on our smartphones. However, people still want to see the originals. So, keep your essential documents with you in a pouch or whatever that you can leap out of an aeroplane with! :D

Its all right for you youngsters, at my age I don't do much leaping [-X

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Thu May 11, 2017 1:42 am

Yes, I have a "uniform" shirt that I always wear when flying ( blue, not white now ) with LARGE pockets.

My only trouble is finding our passports amongst all the other detrius when needed as Mrs. ExS takes advantage of my pockets with a request to carry hers, otherwise she can never remember which of the multitude of bags, purses, "Personal Items" that she always carries now contains her passport when it is required by the next Jobsworth, and she would hold up the queue for a long time whilst going through them. ( such fun - not ! ). This practice arose after she was castigated by a Large, Black, Female ( not being sexist, racist, anti-obese, just stating fact ) TSA Hofficer in the USA, for carrying her passport in one of those canvas pouches that one can hang around ones' neck for that sole purpose -you're only allowed two pieces of hand baggage, she was informed, that is a third piece, take it off. Jobsworths Rule The World - right ?

Partly for that reason, and partly to assist myself, I wrote my passport number on the outside of the back cover of my previous passport - also makes it easier when trying to balance passport, pen, Immigration Document being completed, whilst arms are restricted by the occupants of the adjoining seats - but leaving Paris last year I was almost faced with a Fate Worse Than Death, i.e. being refused departure from France, because I had defaced my passport. I have refrained from this on my recently issued "new" passport.

P.s. Air New Zealand crew yesterday added a note to their pre-departure briefing to leave our baggage behind in the event of an evacuation, fortunately we didn't have to prove that we had listened, understood, and obeyed, that instruction. Also - with no explanation - told us NOT to fasten seat belts before departure until the sign was switched on just before pushing back with the engines running. I guess that is to save time in case of an evacuation before push back, but was a new twist, for me at least ?

Capetonian

#18 Post by Capetonian » Thu May 11, 2017 4:05 am

I 'defaced' my British passport by putting a piece of sticking plaster over the dreaded words 'European Union' on the front cover. I did this at about 0400 on 24th June last year. I must have been through 100 immigration controls and apart from a grin and a thumbs-up at LGW, nobody has said a word.

unifoxos
Capt
Capt

#19 Post by unifoxos » Thu May 11, 2017 8:01 am

Am I the only one among us that has taken scans of such documents as my passport, driving license, credit and debit cards etc and keep copies of these on my PC, my laptop and my phone?

I emailed them to my web-based email account so that, given access to a computer and hopefully being able to remember my password, I can at least retrieve the details from them anywhere in the world and/or print off a copy to help with whatever situation I may be in. I don't have a smartphone or one with any memory and if I did I wouldn't want to be searching for it if I have to exit in an emergency.
Sent from my tatty old Windoze PC.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#20 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu May 11, 2017 9:02 am

One is not allowed to carry documents or cash. Apparently I am not responsible enough. Fine with me. As we approach immigration I am handed my passport and it is taken off me 2 seconds after it is stamped.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.