Why Dubai is so vile, despicable, and reprehensible

Capetonian

Re: Why Dubai is so vile, despicable, and reprehensible

#21 Post by Capetonian » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:11 pm

Despite the frequency of these events, people still go to that foul place on holiday.

A Scot is facing a three-year jail sentence in Dubai after putting his hand on a man in a bar so he did not "bump and spill drinks", according to his representatives.
Campaign group Detained in Dubai said Jamie Harron, from Stirling, was arrested for public indecency after touching a man on his hip.
Mr Harron is said to have since lost his job and has spent more than £30,000 in expenses and legal fees, having already been stuck there for three months.
Radha Stirling, chief executive of Detained in Dubai, said: "It is quite outrageous that he has been held in the country for so long already.
"This is another example of how vulnerable tourists are to arrest and detention in Dubai and at how drawn out and disorganised legal proceedings are."
The 27-year-old electrician is said to have been holding a drink, moving through a crowded bar, and held a hand in front of him to avoid spilling it on himself or others.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/10 ... ing-drink/

http://www.detainedindubai.org/single-p ... n-requests

Capetonian

#22 Post by Capetonian » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:58 am

Interesting thread about EK on TOP.

The last line of a recent posting sums it up :
like the airline and the country, will continue to be a shiny shell covering a pile of sh1t.

I've just talked a family of 6 people out of going to CPT on Scummyrats. With a little bit of judicious date juggling, got them on KLM with economy comfort seats for about €200 more in total - and it will be a far better experience for them, and a shorter flight, than with Scummy via the shithole in the desert.

Capetonian

#23 Post by Capetonian » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:36 pm

Another craphole country I wouldn't set foot in. Why people go there on holiday is beyond me.

'Devastation' for British tourist held in Egyptian jail on drug smuggling charges as judge rules she MUST stand trial and still faces potential death penalty

A British woman jailed on drugs charges in Egypt was dealt a shattering blow today after being told she will go on trial.

Laura Plummer could be held in jail for a further three months until a judge has heard all the evidence in her case.

He can then rule to set her free or jail her for up to seven years. If convicted of drug smuggling he could impose the death penalty.

Later her lawyer Mohammed Osman was told that due to the seriousness of the charges the case would no longer be heard in a regional court in the Red Sea resort.

No date has been set for her appearance but legal experts said it could be weeks or months before she gets a chance to give evidence.

It is not unheard of in Egypt that people awaiting trial can be held for years before they appear in court. As Laura is a foreign national and the case attracted the attention of the media it is likely to be fast tracked. Until that time she stays locked up in a 'hell hole' Egyptian jail.

'The legal system works very slowly and Laura will not be given bail because she is on a drug smuggling charge,' said a legal source.

A family source told MailOnline: 'We are devastated and can't believe what has happened. Laura will not last 15 more days in jail.'

The shopworker from Hull was arrested on October 9th when she flew into Hurghada to meet her husband Omar Caboo. Customs officers found 300 Tramadol painkillers in her luggage as she tried to leave the airport. The drugs are banned in Egypt and prescription only in the UK. Police believed she was an international drug smuggler as she could not name her husband's full name or where he lived when quizzed.

A switch to a criminal court means the prosecutor has convinced the judge that the case is so serious it merits being heard in a higher court. Her husband Omar, 34, will be called to give evidence and police will also say why they believed Laura is a drug smuggler.

Due to the slow process of the Egyptian legal system it could be a month or more before Laura is called to explain herself before a judge.

Until that time she will be held in jail as being a foreign national she is considered a flight risk. Until the stunning new development Laura was said by her mother to be in 'good spirits' and confident of being set free on bail.

Her lawyer Mohamed Osman has warned that she could still be locked up for seven years even if she is cleared of any crime. And she faces the death penalty if the court rules she was trying to sell the drugs. A legal source said she was being treated as an 'international drug smuggler.'

Capetonian

#24 Post by Capetonian » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:09 pm

Emirates has again attracted much deserved negative publicity as a result of an incident yesterday at Entebbe where a member of the cabin crew fell, jumped, or was pushed, from an open aircraft door. It has been reported that she subsequently died.

Regardless of the cause, and work-related stress-induced suicide has been mentioned, it is a terrible tragedy and what appals me is that the flight operated without that member of the cabin crew. Two things come to mind, firstly that the a/c should never have been allowed to depart until the authorities had conducted a thorough investigation, and second that I can't help wondering if, minus one crew member, the ratio of CC to pax was still within the allowed norms. The departure was just over an hour delayed.

An immoral airline operating from an immoral territory. If any good comes of this poor girl's tragedy, it might be that this gets publicity and that people will reconsider going to the Emirate and flying on EK.

As an aside, friends of mine who have been flying EK for years went to China yesterday and texted on arrival : "Your favourite airline worse than ever. Will seriously consider other alternatives for future." In fact, they won't because EK is cheaper and offers a larger baggage allowance than others and these friends are very 'price sensitive' to put it kindly. That's the market they appeal to.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#25 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:57 am

Cape we know that you are biased but what sort of inquiry would you get in Uganda? It does sound as if she jumped. The glass container under her chin would indicate this. As long as there were enough cabin crew to cover all the doors they were legal. There may even have been EK cabin crew amongst the pax. If I was the captain I would want to push on not have pax delayed and a valuable aircraft sitting on the ground. I am sure the authorities took witness statements and there will be an EK inquiry.

Five weeks to go and it is DXB here we come. :YMPARTY: Flown EK many times. On the JNB-ATH route it is the next cheapest to Egypt Air which we obviously wouldn't use. Always had excellent service, in 1st or Business anyway. No idea about cattle class. Also plenty of schedules to choose from on that route.

Heard good reports about Qatar. We had a bad experience with them but it sounds as if it was an exception.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Capetonian

#26 Post by Capetonian » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:13 am

I am indeed biased, and for good reason. I had considered the points you'd raised before posting and particularly the standards of any enquiry in Uganda, but wouldn't that be legal requirement in any jurisdiction after a serious incident? However it was handled, it would have been a logistical nightmare, I suspect they've turned it into a PR disaster too.

EK are superficially fine until anything goes wrong.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27 Post by ian16th » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:23 am

Ex-Ascot wrote: On the JNB-ATH route it is the next cheapest to Egypt Air which we obviously wouldn't use.
Friends of mine used Egypt Air, and compounded their error by going on a Nile Cruise.

Well I did warn them.
Cynicism improves with age

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#28 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:02 pm

Capetonian wrote:EK are superficially fine until anything goes wrong.
Their admin is absolutely crap. I have tried to correspond with them a number of times and the rag heads in DXB just do not answer. I once wrote to the Chairman (?) Irish guy. I addressed it to him personally EK Dubai Airport and they returned it as unknown address. OK it wasn't their head office address because they do not disclose it or e-mail addresses, but surely they could have worked it out. I was working through an EK purser at one point who couldn't get his bosses to answer his e-mails. I would never work for that company but have an interesting time chatting to the crews about their problems. To be honest I just couldn't work for rag heads or live in one of their countries. One exception could be Oman. I was considering a post on their Royal Flight at one point but apparently even the Royals mess you about.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#29 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:04 am

........even the Royals mess you about.
Colleague worked for the "Royals" of Abu Dhabi, early 80's when it was becoming the vogue for the Gulf State "Royals" to have their own 707's.

One year he was commanded to organise transport for a hunting trip to somewhere in Africa, can't remember where now, Morocco maybe, and a 707 freighter was despatched with a temporary village of tents, a fleet of Land Rovers and other esssentials of civilisation sufficient for a Royal Prince to slum it in a desert for a couple of weeks. Royal party was then taken in the passenger 707, sat with hooded hawks on their arms in the aircraft cabin and a Good Time Was Had By All. At the end of the time the pax. 707 was flown out to recover the royal personages, and when asked about flying the freighter back to collect the tents, Land Rovers, Royal Dunnies etc. he was told not to bother - just leave it where it is, we'll buy new again next year.

An almost weekly flight was flying Mrs. Royal to London, to attend Harrods.

Capetonian

#30 Post by Capetonian » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:17 am

Ex-Ascot wrote:
On the JNB-ATH route it is the next cheapest to Egypt Air which we obviously wouldn't use.
I did some work for Egyptair on the IT side, not in Egypt though as I vowed after my first trip there many years ago on a travel trade educational never to set foot in that shithole again.

Of all the many nationalities I worked with over the years, they were, for many reasons the worst. Unpleasant, undiscplined, thick, aggressive, lazy, turned up late, drunk and stinking in the mornings, clicked their fingers to get attention and shouted at me in Arabic and then complained that I didn't understand. Far, far worse than the Israelis who at least are intelligent and hard working and had a vestigial sense of humour. Then they asked me to go to Cairo and do some more for them, I said 'not a chance'. I wouldn't set foot on one of their planes (that was before their last two crashes) or in their country.

Back to the tragedy of the EK stewardess, reading some reports elsewhere, I cannot believe that the aircraft was allowed to depart without a proper investigation. She may have been pushed, in which case it was a crime scene and investigation, however poor that might have been, should have taken place, the door may have been defective in which case ditto, to ensure that the aircraft was safe to operate, and even if she jumped, would the crew really be in a fit state, emotionally, to operate that flight?

Capetonian

#31 Post by Capetonian » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:00 am

Emirates (and four other carriers) have hitherto refused to accept that EU261/2004 applies to them, and have refused to pay out where passengers have suffered delays in arriving at their final destination when departing from the EU and connecting in the despicable scummy little Emirate.

The Supreme Court have now ruled on what most people knew along, namely that Emirates have deliberately flouted the regulation. Whilst the UK CAA are unlikely to have teeth to enforce the ruling, they have welcomed the decision.

Emirates have been able to benefit from traffic rights into and out of the EU (and some fifth freedom routes) and have turned their backs on the responsibilities whilst sucking up the benefits of being able to undercut most other airlines on most of their routes.

It will be interesting to see what the outcome of this will be. I have a few possible scenarios in mind.
Emirates faces flights delay pay-out after court ruling
Dubai-based carrier says it is 'very disappointed' by decision to refuse appeal against paying compensation

Emirates said on Monday it is "very disappointed" after a court ruling refused its permission to appeal in relation to passenger compensation for missed connections outside the EU.

The UK Civil Aviation Authority welcomed the decision of the Supreme Court, adding that it will now progress its enforcement action against Emirates to ensure that it complies with the law, requiring them to amend their policies and practices and to pay claims it had incorrectly refused previously.

The CAA commenced enforcement action against five airlines, including Emirates, in spring 2017, for failing to compensate passengers that had suffered a long delay as a result of a missed connection outside the EU.

Four of the airlines moved into compliance following the CAA's enforcement action, however Emirates sought leave to appeal to the Supreme Court, which has now been refused.

An Emirates spokesperson said: "We are very disappointed by the Supreme Court's ruling denying us leave to appeal against the earlier judgement of the High Court in relation to the application of Regulation EC261 to flights of non-Community carriers originating outside of the EU.

"As one of the world’s largest airlines, we always comply with all legal requirements and based on the judgement, we’ll advise customers of our approach in due course."

In its decision, the Supreme Court stated that Emirates' appeal did not raise an arguable point of law, because the Court of Justice of the European Union had already given a clear answer.

Andrew Haines, chief executive at the UK Civil Aviation Authority, said:“Emirates priority should be looking after its passengers, not finding ways in which they can prevent passengers accessing their rights. They have failed in their attempts to overturn the Court of Appeal Judgement, which now means that millions of pounds worth of compensation is due to its customers. It is time for Emirates to pay what is owed.”

Capetonian

#32 Post by Capetonian » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:53 pm

Detained In Dubai

Frightening precedent for UAE population - Lawyer imprisoned for 10 years for "defaming the government” over civil rights discussions.

Ahmed Mansoor, jailed for 10 years under UAE's cybercrime laws

The ruling Sheikh's of the United Arab Emirates introduced laws preventing anyone from discussing affairs that may damage the reputation of the country or its ruling families. The application of the law is entirely at the discretion of the government and can include anything from discussions related to human rights improvements, judicial improvements, injustices, civil rights and goes so far as to prohibit sharing a charity on facebook or tweeting a news item that the BBC has reported, perhaps even sharing photos of "bad weather".

Ahmed Mansoor, an Emirati human rights lawyer, has just been jailed for ten years and handed a 1 million dirham fine for his participation in discussions related to judicial and political reforms in the UAE. This sentence is a clear message from the government to the people that anyone who does not pretend to be happy with everything going on in the UAE, will be jailed.

This sentence came after a stern warning was made to the population, that anyone who shares news related to the enforced disappearance of Princess Latifa, daughter of Sheikh Mohammed al Maktoum, will also face prison and a fine. The UAE seems to be the only country who is NOT reporting on the worldwide headlining news of Princess Latifa's attempted escape from the regime. Latifa was kidnapped from a US yacht in international waters near India on orders of the UAE, after activating allied India to assist. A militarised attack on the yacht was ordered to apprehend Latifa and her friends and illegally bring them back to the UAE. The United Nations and Human Rights watch have demanded answers, the whole world's media is reporting the incident but the UAE's own media can not report and the public face jail time if they even share an article. This is not the modern, tourist friendly country that Sheikh Mohammed has tried so hard to portray.

Detained in Dubai has handled a number of arrests under the UAE's draconian and broad spectrum Cybercrime laws that included some widely reported injustices: Scott Richards, a British/Australian national, was detained for sharing a charity page on facebook and British lawyer David Haigh, for an "offensive tweet". Australian Jodi Magi was deported for publishing a photo of a car parked in a disabled spot on social media, even though the number plate was obscured.

Radha Stirling, founder of Detained in Dubai said “Tourists and residents in the UAE are at extreme risk of being arrested under the country's cybercrime laws. Almost everyone who enters the country is already in breach of the law, based on the history of their social media feeds, whether or not they made the posts from outside of the UAE. The UAE's enforcers, scour social media looking for offenders to arrest, and the public are equally content to report offenders (or people they don't like) to the TRA. If attention is drawn to an offense, that person can be arrested and detained without charge. Any country whose laws allow for such abuse is a danger to all who enter the jurisdiction.

The fact that these laws were recently enacted shows that the UAE has no intention of becoming a liberal or modern country. The real UAE can be seen through its judicial and penal systems, where human rights violations are so common, that the UK refuses to extradite people there, despite having an existing treaty in place.

The UAE government is doing everything to try to preserve its reputation as a modern country and are trying to achieve this by instilling fear into the population and strict censorship to the point of jailing anyone who speaks up, including the daughter of the ruler of Dubai. Princess Latifa released a video testimony outlining the abuse and torture she suffered at the hands of her father, Sheikh Mohammed al Maktoum and is believed to be in prison but the UAE has refused to answer the United Nations urgent request for information pertaining to her whereabouts and safety.The only way for the UAE government to progress is to actually make the required reforms and to ensure people's rights are preserved, that they are not wrongfully imprisoned and tortured. The UAE may have been able to censor its wrongdoings before, but now that they seek to be international players and a major tourism and trade hub, censorship does not cut it, only true change will. The UAE needs to repeal the cybercrime laws, allow productive free speech and release Ahmed Mansoor, Princess Latifa al Maktoum and all others currently jailed under the reputation damaging cybercrime laws. Nothing is more damaging to the reputation of the UAE than jailing and torturing those who speak their minds.

Until the UAE confront and address their backwards laws and practices, all of the hotels and malls in the world will not make it a safe place for foreigners to visit or invest in."

Detained in Dubai Limited, is registered in England and Wales under company number 11248768 with its registered office at Kemp House, 180 City Road, London EC1 2NX UK

UAE Criminal and Civil Justice Specialists. Contact us on info@detainedindubai.org

flynverted
Capt
Capt

#33 Post by flynverted » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:18 am

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:57 am

Heard good reports about Qatar. We had a bad experience with them but it sounds as if it was an exception.
I flew Qatar a few times and wasn't impressed. Nothing serious, but crap ife, food meant to be served hot was cold, food meant to be served cold was room temp.
It was red eye flights, and they ran out of hot brekkies, so many were given cold leftover dinners from the night before. And bitchy trolley dollies.
Like I said, nothing serious, i just expected better service. But I did like DOH, nice, New airport& easy to transit.

Flying into CGK I'll stick to JAL or ANA. Top service from the Japs. :YMAPPLAUSE:

Next trip is to BKK and looks like I'll take Etihad transiting through AUH.

Slasher

#34 Post by Slasher » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:14 am

Yeh EY might be the better go mate. Quite a reliable service I believe.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#35 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:10 am

Slasher wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:14 am
Yeh EY might be the better go mate. Quite a reliable service I believe.
Depends who the captain is of course. =))

Slasher

#36 Post by Slasher » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:36 am

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:10 am
Depends who the captain is of course.
That's true. On their services to BKK the skippers really help out if you're tech crew, in concert with their Traffic staff, to get you on board esp if it's a full flight. I only travel normal standby which gives me availability in First if cattle class is full, subject to approval.

EK has NEVER helped me in this regard. I have to get an Interline confirmed in cattle. :-L

Capetonian

#37 Post by Capetonian » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:09 pm

Probably not where I'll be going on my next holiday!
Detained In Dubai

Australia demands UAE respond to world's questions about missing princess & travel warnings for Aussies

Last Sunday Australia’s most-watched and award winning television news program exposed the shocking story of Princess Latifa, daughter of Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, the prime minister of the UAE and ruler of Dubai. Though it has been nearly 5 months since her dramatic escape from the Emirates and her subsequent tragic capture at the hands of UAE special forces and the Indian Coast Guard; the 60 Minutes broadcast brought Latifa’s story to for the first time to a mass Australian audience.

After the story aired, reporter Tom Steinfort tweeted to Sheikh Mohammed, “… Where is your daughter? The world needs answers”, echoing the sentiments of a growing number of concerned organisations, activists, and private individuals who have been moved by Princess Latifa’s story.

Radha Stirling, CEO of Detained in Dubai, Latifa's appointed representative, was the last person to speak with the princess before her kidnapping, says “It is profoundly important for Latifa’s plight to reach a world audience. Her story exposes everything that is wrong with the UAE, from the top down. Everything our organisation has been dealing with for the last ten years; corruption, torture, arbitrary detention, threats and intimidation, the abysmal state of women’s rights in the UAE, and a government that behaves despotically on a regular basis; are all highlighted in the terrible events preceding and following March 4th 2018, when Latifa’s escape to freedom was violently brought to an end.”

Stirling says that the UAE has largely succeeded in establishing an international image as a modern, liberal Arab country that stands in stark contrast to the reality she and her team at Detained in Dubai deal with on a daily basis.

"Western tourists, expats and businesspeople need to be aware of the real risks they take traveling to the UAE,” she explains. “This is a country that regularly imprisons women for sex outside of marriage after they have reported being raped. This is a country where homosexuality is a capital offence. It is telling that Princess Latifa, a member of the royal family, whom one would presume enjoys a degree of personal liberty above and beyond the average person; was so inhumanely treated, so relentlessly abused, that she was willing to risk her life to escape.

The UAE spends a tremendous amount of money to promote a positive image of the country; they have made Dubai one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world. But the truth is that foreigners are more likely to get entangled in legal problems in the UAE than in any other country. The same way the UAE has worked overtime to cover up the Latifa story, they have employed Western PR firms to cover up the widespread abuses inflicted daily against foreigners in the Emirates.”

Stirling, who hails from Melbourne, added that Australians need to know the truth about the UAE, as Detained in Dubai has come to the aid of an increasing number of Aussies who have been wrongly charged and jailed in the UAE. “For example, Qantas has increased transit stops through Dubai, which has led to Australians being pulled off flights on the way to Europe and jailed.”

Travel warnings by the Australian government regarding visits to the UAE need to be increased,Stirling says, “we have been lobbying the British and American governments to do a better job of informing their citizens about the dangers of travel to the UAE, and Australians need to be aware as well. Too many people only know about the UAE what the Dubai Media Office tells them, or what paid PR firms want them to know. Existing travel warnings do not mention the fact that obeying the law in the UAE is actually no guarantee of being safe from arbitrary and malicious prosecution based on fabricated evidence and forced confessions; which are common practice in the Emirates”.

The disturbing saga of Latifa Al Maktoum has begun to open the eyes of the world to the reality of the UAE, Stirling says, “even the daughter of the ruler of Dubai, was not safe, was not free; and until now, her whereabouts and welfare are unknown; and the government has denied and defied international calls for her release. The UAE has refused to even so much as respond to an enquiry by the United Nations about Latifa. An ordinary expat or tourist traveling to the UAE cannot expect to be treated with a greater degree of fairness than one of the country’s own royal daughters. We applaud 60 Minutes and Tom Steinfort for their brave coverage of this story, and for taking the lead in exposing the ugly side of Dubai to the people of Australia.”

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#38 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:07 am

It seems that there are two sides to every story. The advice offered at the end of this article is very sound; if travelling in the ME and particulary through Dubai be VERY careful.

From the DM; http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ghter.html

It seems that this lady got away lightly.
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#39 Post by G-CPTN » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:16 am

She sounds like one of the 'entitled' that consider it her right to go where she pleases and how she pleases.

I soon lost that attitude by being sprayed with insecticide on arrival in Oz.

Capetonian

#40 Post by Capetonian » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:42 pm

I saw the reports of that incident and it was blatantly obvious that there was more to it than indicated in the initial reports. She was arrested for arguing with an official and for filming in a restricted area.
She admitted she was served wine by the cabin crew on the Emirates Airlines flight and was told consumption of alcohol was illegal in the UAE.
This highlights the stinking filthy hypocrisy of the place. There are dozens of bars, clubs, and hotels where consumption of alcohol takes place, often with prostitutes (also illegal) and their clients.
Why anyone would go to such a place, least of all on holiday and voluntarily, is beyond me.