Heathrow is getting busier and ques are getting longer

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Heathrow is getting busier and ques are getting longer

#1 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:53 am

Apparently Heathrow has had its busiest day ever.

From the DM; http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/news/a ... story.html

Result for SLF? Longer ques to get through immigration! Now to me it comes across as bad planning by the airport authority. Other thoughts are 1, What is going to happen if the third runway ever gets built? 2, The idea of allowing more people through the e gates comes across as a bit dodgy security wise.

And apparently they are expecting it to get busier, but don't seem to be planning for it. Glad I'm not planning going through there in the near future.
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: Heathrow is getting busier and ques are getting longer

#2 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:15 am

I am on my mobile just like Ex A does so I am not sure how well it would appear.

1. If the countries (to use e gates) are carefully chosen I see little impact security wise. The issue here is whether the passports of those countries are safe.

2. As an American skipper said LHR is the only construction site we other each own airport. They are good to build terminals so they would find a way.

I just got an email from your husband. I hope it is ok to talk to you 😀

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:10 pm

I have successfully avoided LHR for 6 years now. I find Manchester airport + train is a faster way to get to North London than using Heathrow with all the attendant delays. Gatport Airwick is second choice.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:16 pm

LHR, is the first international airport I flew into so I have a weak spot for it. I think it is efficient although back in 2008 when flying in with Olympic Airlines and being handled by Alitalia it was an experience that I am happy it is not going to be repeated. And to be hones I am hard pressed to find a negative experience by it - ok once I fell for the "go to the gate immediately" trick but that's my mistake to believe it.

F3WSMB, isn't more expensive to fly to Manchester + train?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:25 pm

Generally yes, but not when Icelandair is discounting (either very early booking or sometimes last minute), or I am able to book Air Transat (6 months of the year). Westjet is cheap to Gatport.
I like Icelandair, and indeed Iceland/ers.
I book the train tickets in advance discounted, and collect the tickets at Manchester station. I do know the UK rail system backwards. There are remarkable bargains to be had if you know where to change trains (I think they call it split-ticketing now, more here: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/advi ... ave-money/ ), which you will not find if you just type in departure and destination, or phone one of their so-called assistants.

Capetonian

#6 Post by Capetonian » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:34 pm

I avoid Heathrow even though it is geographically the closest airport to where I go in the UK. T5 is acceptable but I try not to fly BA so that eliminates T5 as an option for me.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:58 pm

Since BA did the BOB, is on my avoid list as well.