People's opinion on airlines

Capetonian

Re: People's opinion on airlines

#61 Post by Capetonian » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:03 pm

Wizz, Vueling, Scummirats all on my no-fly list.
I'd rather fly Ryanair than BA, at least they're honest and what they do, they do properly.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#62 Post by Woody » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:59 pm

I quite enjoyed my flights on Thomas Cook earlier this summer, nice clean aircraft, preordered breakfast definitely superior to BA, however with all their new aircraft being used exclusively in T5, things are improving slowly and would be even better if the Spanish waiter was got rid of.
T3 is a nightmare, with all the oldest aircraft in the fleet, some of which are actually embarrassing to fly on and also the fact that T3 was designed and built in the era of the VC10 and 707 and just can’t handle the volume of people that the airlines are trying to put through it.
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Sisemen

#63 Post by Sisemen » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:05 am

Silk Air seems very basic. Tight seat space in economy; no in-flight entertainment (you have to download their app before boarding if you want that and, of course, once in the aircraft and away from airport wifi you can’t do that!). However, clean aircraft and pleasant enough cabin crew (although not quite up to the “knockout” standard of SIA).

SIA - again, the main gripe is with economy. Tight seat space and hard seats which become painful after a couple of hours.

Should’ve upgraded to biz but with scheduled flight times under 5 hours for each of the legs didn’t think it was worth it. Lesson learnt!

Capetonian

#64 Post by Capetonian » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:59 am

This is a disgrace. Another reason to boycott raghead airlines.

https://www.brusselstimes.com/all-news/ ... and-liege/

Qatar Airways operates 9-minute flights between Maastricht and Liège

Slasher

#65 Post by Slasher » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:00 am

Capetonian wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:59 am
Qatar Airways operates 9-minute flights between Maastricht and Liège
Cape, apart from the GW-crazed carbon-taxing leftard Eurapeen view, what’s wrong with that arrangement - ragheads or not?

I’m sure Brussels is screwing Qatar for every possible CO2 cent they can extract from that leg. Obviously despite the daylight robbery QR beancounters still reckon it’s viable payload-revenue wise with the longer runway.

Not too long ago wide body cargo aircraft would operate SVB-DMK vv for logistical reasons similar to Qatar’s, though rarely these days with better cargo infrastructure at SVB having been established. Nowadays it’s positioning of QC cargo to pax version and vv. SVB-DMK is 3/5ths x 5/8ths etc in ground dist direct.

Capetonian

#66 Post by Capetonian » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:36 am

The problem I have with it is the CO2 and the noise. I am not a tree hugger but there are limits.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#67 Post by Woody » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:14 pm

Lufty saving plenty of CO2 today :D
Lufthansa has cancelled 1,300 flights after it lost a last-minute legal bid to halt a strike by cabin crew.
The two-day action over pay and conditions began at midnight local time. About 180,000 passengers are set to face travel disruption.
The UFO union said it would hit all Lufthansa flights from German airports.
Flights by Lufthansa's other airlines including Eurowings, Swiss, Austrian Airlines, and Brussels Airlines are not affected, the airline said.
Lufthansa has cancelled 700 flights on Thursday and 600 on Friday, amounting to about one-fifth of its planned flights over the 48-hour period.

Capetonian

#68 Post by Capetonian » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:38 pm

Narrow escape for us as we were flying on LH on Friday but changed to Swiss to give us an extra day here, and a better flight, via ZRH instead of FRA or MUC.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#69 Post by Woody » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:39 am

This will help their situation :-o
Nearly all domestic, regional and international South African Airways (SAA) flights scheduled for Friday, November 15 and Saturday November 16 have been cancelled due to expected protest action.

The airlines announced the decision to cancel the flights on Wednesday to minimize the impact of disruptions caused to its customers following news of industrial action planned for Friday morning.

Capetonian

#70 Post by Capetonian » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:56 am

It looks as if SAA about to shoot themselves in the foot with the strike.
The workers are faced with Hobson's choice either be fired or go on strike and lose the jobs anyway because the airline will go bankrupt.
Government can't carry on forever supporting it with taxpayers' money
The end has been forecast for a long time but I think now it's really is coming closer.
For a long time it was an excellent airline and it's still a good one but unfortunately it's been incredibly badly run and has been a black hole for taxpayers money.
Because the tax base is incredibly narrow it means that that burden has fallen disproportionately on a minority, and Zuma and his cronies have profited from that
Privatisation is a potential solution but nobody is going to want it. it's a real poisoned chalice.

Slasher

#71 Post by Slasher » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:03 am

In that case what outfit might take over the routes if when SAA goes for a burton?

Capetonian

#72 Post by Capetonian » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:56 am

I don't have an answer to that. Scummirats appear to carry the majority of international passengers in and out of the country and I suspect that they will increase their capacity.
VS, BA, LH, KL will also be laughing all the way to the bank.

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#73 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:37 am

Before we book our Air Link flights for next April/July, if SAA goes down will Air Link go down as well? :-s If they do it will be a shame as they provide a much better service than Air Bots.
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.