24 hours in VIE. Hotel recommendation.

Capetonian

24 hours in VIE. Hotel recommendation.

#1 Post by Capetonian » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:08 am

I have 24 hours in Vienna later this month en route to CPT. We arrive at midday and leave at about 1000 the following morning.

I am debating whether to stay at an airport hotel, which eliminates the need to take luggage into town and then out, as we will have quite a lot, or a city centre hotel which in many ways would be more enjoyable.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good city centre hotel, close to the Stephansdom/Historic area, quiet, clean and comfortable. Does not have to be 5 star, up to about €150, room only as we will have breakfast on the flight.

ribrash

Re: 24 hours in VIE. Hotel recommendation.

#2 Post by ribrash » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:35 am

We stayed at the Ramada Hotel for a few days as part of a mini package holiday.It suited us.Very central.A bus from the airport dropped us off virtually outside the hotel.Myself I would stay at the airport myself.It seems like a lot of faffing with luggage for what will be a couple of hours in the city.

Capetonian

#3 Post by Capetonian » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:47 am

Thanks for that. There seem to be two Ramadas, one north and the other south of city centre. We really wanted to stay in the centre, or else have the convenience of staying at the airport.

On balance the latter might be better, we can drop our bags at an airport hotel, be in town for lunch, wander round and have dinner later and head back to the airport hotel and then no rush in the morning to catch the flight.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by G-CPTN » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:53 am

Do any of the airport hotels offer shuttles into the centre?

Even if only one way, it might ease the cost/convenience.

Capetonian

#5 Post by Capetonian » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:07 am

Thanks for suggestions. In the end decided for the ease and convenience of an airport hotel.

Have tickets for Friday night for a performance of the Four Seasons in town and then we'll take the train back to the airport for the morning departure.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Wodrick » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:27 am

Dunno Frankie Valli is 84 might not still have it :p

I know
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Capetonian

#7 Post by Capetonian » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:34 am

Yep, I nearly qualified my comment by adding 'Vivaldi', but as you said, you know!
I do know that Vivaldi is not very Viennese but I love Baroque and there was nothing else on that night at any of the many venues that appealed as much, so will be enjoying Le Quattro Stagione, and I don't mean a pizza!

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by G-CPTN » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:32 am

Saw a performance of Eine Kleine by a quartet in a 'chamber' in Salzburg 60 years ago.
Candle-lit and the flames swayed in sequence with the music - absolutely stunning.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by ian16th » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:57 pm

I once stayed in the people processing palace called the Vienna Hilton; on the Sunday morning a full symphony orchestra gave a free concert in the hotel lobby.

A perk I wasn't expecting.
Cynicism improves with age

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by OFSO » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:47 pm

Try phoning the British Embassy. Sadly I have forgotten the name of the hotel they booked for me in 2015, but it had clean and quiet rooms, and very substantial breakfasts served by magnificent tall busty girls in low-cut, eye-popping dirndls. I'll just go and check my diary for that year, see if I noted the hotel name.

Found it: Hotel Enziana. Rennweg 51.

Ah. I see you are going elsewhere. Never mind, remember the name for future use !

Capetonian

#11 Post by Capetonian » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:58 pm

It does look nice. Thanks for the tip. Maybe next time, but for this trip 'am Flughafen' suits us better.
Anyway it's full : Wir bitten um Verständnis. Es gibt keine verfügbaren Zimmer für Ihre gewünschten Daten. Bitte modifizieren Sie das Datum oder die Anzahl der Gäste.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by OFSO » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:02 pm

The clientele were interesting. Thought I might see George Smiley there. That sort of place.