Question about EU261/2004 delay compensation.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

Re: Question about EU261/2004 delay compensation.

#21 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:10 pm

Cape, this is commendable. We are of same mind set old chap. However, you do not mention your admin and consultancy fees which I always charge under similar circumstances. Maybe you don't want the tax robber to hear about that.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

unifoxos
Capt
Capt

#22 Post by unifoxos » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:14 pm

Anybody know what's going to happen after Brexit? The compensation rules being an EU agreement presumably won't apply to flights to/from UK. I don't suppose our useless pollies have done anything about it.
Sent from my tatty old Windoze PC.

Capetonian

#23 Post by Capetonian » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:01 pm

I think you'd be correct in assuming that the useless pollies won't have done anything about it.

EU261/2004 has a slightly wider reach than the EU, I believe it covers NO, IS, and CH too, so the UK might be included even after exit from the loathsome organisation.

Capetonian

#24 Post by Capetonian » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:18 pm

I came across this on TOP :
I flew KLM, LHR-AMS-JNB and return. My 1320 connecting return flight from AMS to LHR was suddenly cancelled with no explanation, so I was rebooked on the 1715 flight. A bit of a pain, as I had been travelling since 1000 the previous morning. Anyway, the 1715 flight was delayed half an hour but no further delays were forthcoming. I'm quite pragmatic about stuff like this, I accept that crap happens sometimes causing cancellations and all the rest of it, but it's how a company deals with it that matters.

On the 8th June, I duly completed the online KLM form on their website, requesting compensation for the cancelled flight. On the 14 June, I received an email from them saying £219 would be transferred into my bank account on the 15th. It was.

So, credit where credit is due. KLM paid up within a week of me submitting the claim.
I imagine that the poster was happy, but he'd have been even happier if they'd paid him the €600 he was entitled to. The airlines will sometimes argue that in a case such as the above, the delay compensation is only applicable on the affected segment, whereas in fact if it's a through ticket and connecting flights, it applies from origin to destination, and the >3500 km amount of €600 should have been paid.

Capetonian

#25 Post by Capetonian » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:54 am

A few weeks ago I met up with friends in Ireland whose Ryanair flight was over 3 hours delayed. I went online and went through the complicated process to claim the €250 per person and really did not expect that they would pay up without a fight.

I now am happy to report that they got the money a few days ago, without any further intervention. So credit where credit is due, it somewhat restores my faith in Ryanair (not that I would fly with them if possibly avoidable.)

However it does look as if they are trying to get out of their obligations to pay something like 100,000 people for delays suffered during the strikes they had earlier this year. I will be interested to see what the outcome is - I think M O'L is a damn sight smarter than the EU.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26 Post by Woody » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:19 am

I’m sure that this was accidental :)
Ryanair passengers who have received compensation for cancelled and delayed flights have been charged extra fees after banks rejected the cheques.
Several people said their bank had returned cheques they had received from the airline because they were unsigned.
One passenger, who waited 11 months for compensation, said she was now worse off after the bank added a fee of 20 euros (£17.94).
Ryanair has apologised and blamed the problem on an "administrative error".
Since April, more than one million Ryanair passengers in Europe have had delayed or cancelled flights, according to the airline's own figures.
The latest one-day pilots' walk-out on 10 August led to the cancellation of nearly 400 flights.
When all else fails, read the instructions.