Pricing, fares, etc

Capetonian

Pricing, fares, etc

#1 Post by Capetonian » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:34 pm

Good to see this one.
I'm happy to answer questions about fares, revenue management, pricing etc.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Pricing, fares, etc

#2 Post by ian16th » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:36 pm

Cape,

I dunno if you saw my question at TOP, but I am thinking about taking her indoors to Melbourne for a while. Its still only a thought, and she doesn't know of my questions.

At our age, flying and its associated airport hassle is not a pleasure, so I am looking at doing the trip in stages and with a modicum of comfort.

Unfortunately it is a case of, 'I wouldn't start from where I live'! Just getting to Joburg can be a hassle. So our 1st leg will probably be Margate -Joburg with CEMAIR! They use B-1900 and Dash 8's. The B-1900's don't even have a loo.

For the Joburg to Melbourne journey, flying with SIA with a night or 2 in Singers each way has appeal. The fact that SIA use A-380's on the Singers to Melbourne route also appeals. (Even at my advanced age I would still like to clock up a new a/c type in my virtual lying flogbook, it starts with Avro Anson).

I wish to optimise SIA's stopover deals in Singers. But I am totally ignorant about Singers and SIA's deals. I don't know the good hotels or the ones to be avoided.
I would also like to know how SIA 'encourage' customers. I.E. Do they have a deal where if I buy a business class ticket, does my spouse gets a discount? When I flew with Varig, Joburg-Rio-Miami and return on a full fare business class ticket, I got a 50% discount for accompanying family members.

So any info about how I should start would be appreciated. Alternate routing will also be listened to, though we do not want to go via Dubai with Emirates. We did that to get to New Zealand. It was the low cost option, but the 18 hour leg Dubai-Singers-Brisbane-Auckland was too much.
Cynicism improves with age

Capetonian

#3 Post by Capetonian » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:00 pm

Ian: I'll look at this over the next couple of days. Can you PM me with a rough range of dates.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by 500N » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:07 pm

Ian

Re Hotels in Melbourne, if you need anything checked out, let me know but most of the reviews on line are pretty accurate.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by ian16th » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:24 pm

Cape, No or any dates at all, as retiree's we can come and go as we wish. So we can travel at the off-off-peak. Whatever suites the airlines.

500N, Thanks for the offer, but Melbourne accommodation is not a problem, We have an open invitation to use a friends 'granny flat', for when and as long as we like.

Capetonian

#6 Post by Capetonian » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:04 pm

Ian, I haven't forgotten!

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by ian16th » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:35 am

Capetonian wrote:Ian, I haven't forgotten!

Not a problem. No hurry.

Her indoors doesn't want to go anyway! So I've got to have an attractive package and then do a selling job to her.

Over the weekend she said 2 encouraging things, it would be nice to be in a hotel with someone to do all the work, and it might be nice to visit Reunion again.

Its so 'ot and sticky down here right now, even thinking is hard work.