Aviation related only
PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

CFI Renewal

#1 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:27 pm

I am about 25% through my CFI renewal.
Has to be done every 2 years.
I bought a lifetime online CFI renewal through American Flyers. The cost was $99.
This is the eleventh time doing my renewal this way. I hope to keep driving the annual cost down for quite some time. :D
The course requires 16 hours to complete with each lesson timed. If one were to read through all of the optional linked content it might take that long. Just reading the required content takes about half that time so I have to leave the lesson open and refresh the page ~ every ten minutes or so until it lets me go to the next one. ~X(

PP

G~Man
Capt
Capt

Re: CFI Renewal

#2 Post by G~Man » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:41 pm

Luckily I am a check airman under Part 135 so the FAA renews mine based upon activity as per 14 CFR 61.197 (a)(2)(ii). I just renewed mine for the 16th time..... I remember having to do those classes, that is where I would pay my daughter a few sheckles to sit there and go through the pages all the way to the exam at the end then call me.....lol
B-) Life may not be the party you hoped for, but while you're here, you may as well dance. B-)

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: CFI Renewal

#3 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:45 pm

I've had my CFI for 35 or so years.
During that time I only went to one AOPA weekend CFI refresher course (remember those?)
Many times mine renewed due to getting additional CFI ratings. A few times I was able to get Feds to renew me based on acquaintance (when they could still do that). I also renewed once based on being a company instructor and check airman. That was the strangest renewal as the examiner at the FSDO was trying to find any way to not renew me. He finally gave up and grudgingly said that he couldn't find any reason to deny me and did the renewal.
The online course that I'm doing is a real easy but a little time consuming way.
I should be finished in a couple of days then the next obstacle will be getting an appointment at my local FSDO before the end of the month. American Flyers has an option available for $$ for them to do it for you but since I am a 15 minute drive from the FSDO I just make an appointment.

PP