How did you become a pilot?

Aviation related only
Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: How did you become a pilot?

#41 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:36 am

Went up to a baby nav at nav school meet and greet, knew nothing about him. My first question was "where's the farm then?" - Shropshire.

Would that chopping them was as easy 😀

Slasher

#42 Post by Slasher » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:20 am

Went to Parafield in Adelaide Oz. Jumped in a Tiger Moth. Rest is history.

Krystal n Chips
Capt
Capt

#43 Post by Krystal n Chips » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:56 am

Always more interested in what made the things work, but also enjoyed flying. Thus the perfect job would have been......F/E.

First flight was in a Tri-Pacer out of MAN, a bit unexpectedly to say the least, heading for Farnborough. It was, as they say, a perfect gliding day, but not sat in the back...the first, and only time, in my life I have been air sick...the back seat rides in Gnats / Jags at low level were a doddle..so we diverted into Sleap.

Decided Air Eng was a good idea, so had a trip to Biggin Hill. The first bit was straightforward, it was the interview where we found we didn't quite have a "meeting of minds " when some pillock asked my opinion as to the RAF disciplinary system. I kindly explained that, in my modest opinion, if you have the self discipline to fly and operate an aircraft, then excessive and enforced discipline is counter productive.

This was not the approved answer.

Ironically, a few years later, the then Chairman of the Board. who was a very respected individual, was also Chairman of the gliding club. He had watched, and participated in, our flying and operations and dropped several subtle hints, subtle as in having a brick thrown in you face, that, if anybody wished to apply for N.C.A they would be viewed "favourably " because we had the ethos required. By then I was set on returning to normality.

Went to Farnborough in 82 and saw the 757 / 767 television screens for he first time......... and the future for the F/E ( apart from Ansett as we know ) so stuck to gliding for many happy years.

Bob
Capt
Capt

#44 Post by Bob » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:22 pm

I was there in 82 .......... do you remember the small stand occupied by 2 blokes representing the CIA and the device they were showing off?
I hereby declare the U.S.A. a Pariah state.
All U.S. Citizens or persons arriving from the U.S.A. will be denied access

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#45 Post by FD2 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:44 pm

Bob - I think K&C has left the building...

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#46 Post by EA01 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:09 am

Joined Albatross Aviation ( affectionately sometimes referred to as ''Sigley's Flying Circus') at Coomera, blasting around in 'Drifters'....the best flying...open cockpit stick and rudder stuff...I was about 19?, had model aircraft since i was 2??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockwood_Drifter