OK Here's One

Aviation related only
Slasher

Re: OK Here's One

#21 Post by Slasher » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:59 am

ExSp33db1rd wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:55 am
"Thanks, buddy, you can go to your own aircraft now ! "
Dunno if you remember ExSp33d but I was the F/O who set up the wrong aircraft in WSSS back in the old days.

I was going to MRU with JS Pal (funny bugger he was). Was told at Ops that JS was gonna be a bit late. Didn't see the F/E but since I was early I did the paperwork and left the Co CFP copy for JS to sign when he arrived. The assigned gate was 107.

'Twas a long travellator walk and of course as a lowly SQ F/O had to stop and acknowledge some bloody A310 fleet office bigshot standing on the opposite trav who I didn't know from soap. Finally I arrived at gate 105 and stepped on board the 747-300. Didn't check the rego. 🙄

Surprisingly quiet so I set about doing my sh!t and JS's. Loaded the PMS (a poor man's FMC but with 72 downloadable waypoints to the INSs). I entered everything and crosschecked the lot.

By the time I was in the LHS doing the capt's scans an engineer came up and told me the fuel to be loaded - it was a good 20 tonnes or so less than CFP. I said "ok load that and stay connected till the captain gets here."

After I returned to my seat to do more sh!t the F/E (a local) quietly walked in and said hello. Without turning around I said "yeh hi mate. Is the captain here yet?"

"Yes. Er...he's a minute behind me lah."

Two minutes later I get a tap on my shoulder - from Baldev Singh with a F/O next to him. "What's going on?" I asked. "Where's JS?"

The F/O pointed out the window and said "Captain Pal waiting for you on board at gett 107 ah."

Sh!t. That bloody A310 egomaniac said 105 or SQ105 or whatever he was blathering on about. But I was well thanked for my thorough preflight to NRT!

Got to the other -300 at 107 ands boarded. JS was sitting in his seat as was the F/E in his.

"Sorry JS I got on the wrong plane."

"Why did you set up Baldev's first eh? He got you on contract or something? How much does he pay?" :))

I nonetheless sat down like a humbled puppy.

"Well just for that you fly it. I'm taking the night off!"

This was JS's way of saying "relax and don't worry about it. Here.. have a fly."

If they had've been both local capts and not expats I would've been reported to Richard Tan and bollocked by Dedley Luster. Probly would've ended up doing Madras for a bloody week.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#22 Post by ian16th » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:51 am

I've told it before, but I can't remember if it was here or TOP.

At Dishforth the day shift put the wrong Beverley in a hanger.

Putting a Beverly in a hanger was a complicated process involving putting the a/c on skids, jacking up the nose to lower the tail, and then towing the a/c into the hanger sideways!

I was i/c the Radio Section of the night shift that had to do the after dark pre-flight for a late t/o!

It took bl**dy hours to find it!
Cynicism improves with age

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#23 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:59 am

Slasher ... Happy Days, thanks ! ( currently out of circulation for a bit )

fin
Capt
Capt

#24 Post by fin » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:58 pm

Posted elsewhere my reaction to events at Bradley this morning.
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:52 am

fin wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:58 pm
Posted elsewhere my reaction to events at Bradley this morning.
I assume your refer to the tragic loss of the B-17G at Windsor Locks-Bradley International Airport but am unable to find your post. I am guessing that you have flown/flown in that aircraft?
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

fin
Capt
Capt

#26 Post by fin » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:08 pm

It is in the forum usually referred to here as TOP or The Other Place.

As it was the breeding ground for most of us here, I do not and never have understood the attitude of many who came from there, but then, I wasn't banned there yet either.

I, like many, am sorry that Danny sold out, and the resulting changes were, imo, all for the worse.

That said, for me anyhow, it remains my 'go to' place when something like the crash yesterday occurs. Nobody posted a metar, but several did post recordings of the tower, ground, approach and even fire rescue radio broadcasts. Several others had flown it as PIC and a bunch more, like myself, had gone as paying slf.
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:15 pm

fin wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:08 pm
It is in the forum usually referred to here as TOP or The Other Place.

That said, for me anyhow, it remains my 'go to' place when something like the crash yesterday occurs. Nobody posted a metar, but several did post recordings of the tower, ground, approach and even fire rescue radio broadcasts. Several others had flown it as PIC and a bunch more, like myself, had gone as paying slf.
Ah that explains why I couldn't find your post here.

A terrible shame that this terrible accident has occurred with the potential that some folks will want to circumscribe the rights of everyone to share in the joy of flying in classic and historically important aircraft like the B-17. I hope the Freedom of Flight people will keep doing the good work that they do despite this terrible loss.

As for Metars I didn't post one in the thread covering the accident here as it did not seem relevant in this case but did post the ATC transcript which included all the other agencies as well so perhaps I am a TOPite by nature! I guess I might just be an aviation nerd.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."