The Rest is History

Aviation related only
Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The Rest is History

#21 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:11 pm

LNETHOA
was my RAF vision test; I can still remember it.
..and I had memorised the other three 20/20 lines on the only 4 charts the RAF medical bods used. ;)))

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#22 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:59 am

Smeagol they didn't discover my heart murmur until I was on line and considered it irrelevant. It is so minor most doctors can't hear it.

Fox the bottom line of the eye chart was 'Printed in Birmingham'. All the ones I ever saw were LHTOCNEA. A nurse once asked me to cover one eye and read the bottom line. I said we will save time I will cover both eyes and read the bottom line. I said LHTOCNEA and she said that is fine Sir. The BZN medical centre was being refurbished. To get the eye chart distance you had to stand in a doorway and read it across the corridor in the room opposite. I stood in doorway as instructed and said LHTOCNEA only to be told that the eye chart was behind me.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Smeagol
Capt
Capt

#23 Post by Smeagol » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:49 pm

Ex-A
My murmur is also almost undetectable like yours. The Harley St cardiologist, who made the correct diagnosis some 10 years after the RAF medical, told me that he could hear it because:
a) he was a cardiologist
b) because I had told him!
He also said that the doctor who initially detected it had a good day with a warm stethoscope!
It meant that I am now a retired engineer and not a retired pilot :((
We hates Bagginses!

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#24 Post by boing » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:10 pm

It meant that I am now a retired engineer and not a retired pilot
That's funny. I am a retired pilot trying to pretend I am an engineer. :-\

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#25 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:30 am

Smeagol, that was bad luck. At the quiet med centre at Biggin Hill they missed it. The doctor at NHT next to a busy road picked it up. They sent me to CME where they confirmed it. Other doctors have been unable to hear it. I think that as they had already paid millions for me to be trained they let me continue. If I admit it to a dentist they always make me take an antibiotic an hour or so before drilling.

Getting thread drift here but friends of ours here were going to send their son to the States to do a university course which included getting a CPL. He was dead keen to be a bush pilot here. I advised a medical before they rushed into things. Colour blind.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:48 am

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:59 am
Smeagol they didn't discover my heart murmur until I was on line and considered it irrelevant. It is so minor most doctors can't hear it.

Fox the bottom line of the eye chart was 'Printed in Birmingham'. All the ones I ever saw were LHTOCNEA. A nurse once asked me to cover one eye and read the bottom line. I said we will save time I will cover both eyes and read the bottom line. I said LHTOCNEA and she said that is fine Sir. The BZN medical centre was being refurbished. To get the eye chart distance you had to stand in a doorway and read it across the corridor in the room opposite. I stood in doorway as instructed and said LHTOCNEA only to be told that the eye chart was behind me.
=))

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Smeagol
Capt
Capt

#27 Post by Smeagol » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:07 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:30 am
If I admit it to a dentist they always make me take an antibiotic an hour or so before drilling.

Ex-A

That used to be the same for me, in the old days meaning 'drop your trousers, bend over and get a hefty shot of penicillin in the gluteus maximus' before any serious dental work! Never really enjoyed the dentist much!
However, current thinking in dental practice dispenses with the pre-procedure antibiotics entirely as the risk is now considered low enough to be acceptable (to their insurers at least!)
We hates Bagginses!

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#28 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:10 am

Thanks for that Smeagol. In fact in the UK it was a sachet of powder mixed with water. Never confessed here or Greece. Will not bother now on your info.

Stoneboat
Capt
Capt

#29 Post by Stoneboat » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:16 pm

Getting thread drift here but friends of ours here were going to send their son to the States to do a university course which included getting a CPL. He was dead keen to be a bush pilot here. I advised a medical before they rushed into things. Colour blind.
Ex-A a cousin of mine has flown for years. He is red/green colour blind, and they let him off with the notation on his license that 'the aircraft must be equipped with two way radio capable of communication with the appropriate ATC unit.' That's it.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#30 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:53 am

Stoneboat wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:16 pm
Ex-A a cousin of mine has flown for years. He is red/green colour blind, and they let him off with the notation on his license that 'the aircraft must be equipped with two way radio capable of communication with the appropriate ATC unit.' That's it.
ATPL? and which country?

My medical examiner in Oxford was a Methodist Minister and a JP. I went at about 13.00 I was a bit early so had a quick pint in the pub next door. He went crazy when he smelt beer. So what? I was tempted next time to take a guide dog (which we had access to) and a white stick.

Stoneboat
Capt
Capt

#31 Post by Stoneboat » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:26 am

Ex-A country is Canada. He didn't have an ATP, Commercial only. He racked up probably 10K hours on the Otter in the bush before he quit, bought himself a boat, and became a commercial crab fisherman.

(DEFPOTEC was the 20/20 line in our eye charts. My med guy was also a fan of Wily E Coyote cartoons, so one day when he asked me to read the bottom line I read back ACME Eyechart Company, Phoenix AZ.)

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32 Post by ricardian » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:17 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:30 am
I wanted to be a Aircraft Apprentice (Ground Wireless Fitter) in 1959. I passed the written exams but, after asking me to describe the colour of tiny lights at the end of a very, very long corridor, the medical board at RAF Halton determined that I was red/green colour blind. That explained why for the last five years at grammar school I'd been constantly reprimanded by the art teacher for mixing up the colour palettes in the art room, it doesn't seem to have occurred to him that I had a colour vision problem. I ended up as a Boy Entrant Telegraphist at Cosford which eventually led to a good (and interesting) 30 year career with the Civil Service after my 12 years were up.
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

Sisemen

#33 Post by Sisemen » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:23 pm

Ricardian - sometimes those crossroads of life which determine a path which you did not want to go down end up as the best thing since sliced bread.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#34 Post by llondel » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:40 pm

What was the best thing before sliced bread came along?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#35 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:03 pm

Linoleum

That's what my maternal grandmother told me used to be said. And if you've ever had to scrub a stone-flagged kitchen floor in winter, you'd agree.

Slasher

#36 Post by Slasher » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:01 pm

So Fox, along with your lino kitchen floor and after sliced bread was invented, you must’ve been on Cloud Line with those best things.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#37 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:12 pm

Oddly enough, my kitchen floor is not linoleum, and I slice my own bread.

In my opinion, the best modern convenience by a million miles is a washing machine. That seems to be top when they do big surveys also.

Slasher

#38 Post by Slasher » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:21 pm

Fridges top the list in Thailand.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#39 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:06 am

I can see that!
We aren't short of ice here ;)))
Ice would be sawn into blocks and placed in an icebox. For the summer, ice blocks would be buried then dug up as needed.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#40 Post by Alisoncc » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:20 pm

ricardian wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:17 pm
I wanted to be a Aircraft Apprentice (Ground Wireless Fitter) in 1959. I passed the written exams but, after asking me to describe the colour of tiny lights at the end of a very, very long corridor, the medical board at RAF Halton determined that I was red/green colour blind.
Intrigued. In 1959 I was "examined" at RAF Cardington for entry as an AA, being accepted for RAF Locking, the No 1 Radio School. Only ever got to visit Halton when as a trumpeter in the AA band playing at the Royal Tattoo at Earls Court.

In the early sixties Vulcan B2's were the ultimate in cutting edge electronics technology. After three years full-time study at Locking they allowed "me" to play with them, all on my own. :D After 2½ glorious years at Finningley, found me sorting out all manner of aeries in the deserts of Sharjah. From Hunters, Javelins and Phantoms to the ubiquitous Bubbly and Twin Pins.
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)