What oil to use...?

By Popular Request - Modded by the Girls of Ops-Normal.
MoreAviation

What oil to use...?

#1 Post by MoreAviation » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:31 pm

Dear Agony Aunt

I am at my wits end and don't know what to do. You see the weather here is beautiful today so I thought I might take the old spam can for a bimble up the coast but on pulling the dip stick out of the old girl I note that there is less than 6 quarts of oil and what there is looks pretty dirty to me. Now here's the thing, it has been very cold here recently, close to zero today actually, so I am all at sixes and sevens as to the grade of oil I should use in the Lycoming during this frigid phase.

Now I know that Lycoming recommend MIL-L-6082 or SAEJ1966 straight mineral type and MIL-L-22851 or SAEJ1899 ashless dispersant type lubricants for their engines but what grade to use? Should I use the SAE40 to protect the engine over a broad range of temperatures but am concerned that things might get warmer over the next couple of days and may even get hot so am debating using the SAE20W50 which gives an even broader span?

Now of course the engine is not a turbo and has been well broken in so I know that I don't need any additives whatever but am still in a tizz about this whole oil grade question and am completely frustrated as I don't dare get the old girl up until I can answer these questions. Perhaps you can put me out of my misery.

Yours oleaginously

MA

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: What oil to use...?

#2 Post by probes » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:34 pm

Dear More Aviation,
- one can never have enough aviation, right? - if you really care for your old girl, and also want it straight mineral, you should definitely go for copra, especially as you don't need any additives - copra is 100% organic and safe to use, even in any frigid phase, as it nicely solidifies up into a decent bloke... sorry, block. If you need to lubricate again, it's broader-spanning again.
I hope this advice was useful.
Here's the product:
close to zero - Image
bottled for instant purifying - Image

Tall Bird
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Tall Bird » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:25 pm

Dear More Aviation

I don't understand fully the technical references but I have to say I am appalled to learn you call your OH 'the old spam can.' Instead of wittering on about various specs, why not ask her directly what her favourite oil is and then lubricate the relevant parts accordingly. Make sure the dip stick is firm of purpose beforehand.

MoreAviation

#4 Post by MoreAviation » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:41 am

Dear Agony Aunt and Tall Bird

I perceive that what you both are trying to tell me, in a polite and subtle way, is that I may be looking in the wrong lubrication manual and you may both have a point there. I did notice that my earnest conversation about the use of tung oil in the production of jet fuel, specifically in the case of Jet B did very little to enliven the situation and indeed made the environment even more frosty and cold ... still I am sure that both you aviatrixes may find this article on the use oils in this way enchanting...

http://www.google.ch/patents/US20110230687

My use of the "Castrol History of Aviation Fuels and Oils" may not be as useful as I was wont to think as I found myself drinking the castor oil after suggesting that if it worked for old radials in the First World War, it may work in my current predicament.

Still nothing ventured, nothing gained so I shall desist from the old spam can epithet and endeavour to keep a firm hand on the old dipstick in another way, in a manner of speaking...

Yours sincerely (hoping soon to be happily lubricated)

MA

MoreAviation

#5 Post by MoreAviation » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:37 pm

On a note of protocol and not viscosity, how are we to address this group Aunt? I see that I implied that Probes was the Agony Aunt in my last post but of course I realise that this oracle is served by a number of formidable priestesses. Should we just refer to this group as the Aunties or will I be cast for ever to Hades for such impudence.

Oh oracle, I beseech thee, give me a sign that I may show my respect to the Gods and the wisdom of ages!

When the Prytanies' seat shines white in the island of Siphnos,
White-browed all the forum—need then of a true seer's wisdom—
Danger will threat from a wooden boat, and a herald in scarlet.

— The Pythoness
Herodotus

A Lutra Continua
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by A Lutra Continua » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:22 am

50 weight on the highveld in summer is not a bad thing.

dubbleyew eight
Capt
Capt

#7 Post by dubbleyew eight » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:31 am

surely you ask lycoming.

the grade of oil to use is a subject of endless discussion.
I warm my engine uo before takeoff usually so the oil is at the normal running temperature anyway.
I used Castrol Aviator when it was around and for my money Aviator D100 was the best oil ever made.

we have locally a battle with shell and phillips. shell W100 is $100 per carton of 12 and phillips is $68 per carton of 12.
I'm told though that my use of phillips will cause the cessation of life on the planet as we know it so I tend to ignore the advice of others.
if your engine is warm before takeoff why the concern at all?