It stinks...

By Popular Request - Modded by the Girls of Ops-Normal.
probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
It stinks...

#1 Post by probes » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:33 pm

So. Our dog is old and a bit demented, and now she's peed on the floor and it stinks like hell. Alas! linoleum. Despite me having washed, cleaned, rinsed, dried etc. it for at least 6 times. I can't even smell the stench there (=on the floor) any more, but it's in the room (where I work, incidentally :( ).

Any advice (the magic products from the internet would take too long to arrive, I'm afraid)?
yours desperate,
Probes :((

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: It stinks...

#2 Post by Karearea » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:38 pm

Baking soda, sprinkled on/around, or an open container of same left in the room, seems to absorb odours.
And with the morn, those angel faces smile...

Capetonian

#3 Post by Capetonian » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:49 pm

Vinegar, not the stuff you put on salads, but cleaning vinegar, I think it's called white vinegar or spirit vinegar.

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by probes » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:54 am

Thanks, I'll try them - somehow didn't think of these, being used to using them in fridges. :)

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:21 am

Many moons ago when I was nursing, if we had a "bad smell "situation we simply made a homemade air freshener. Soak a piece of gauze with orange oil and hang on the wall. It was very effective even with some really yucky pongs. :)
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by 500N » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:27 am

Mrs Ex-Ascot wrote:Many moons ago when I was nursing, if we had a "bad smell "situation we simply made a homemade air freshener. Soak a piece of gauze with orange oil and hang on the wall. It was very effective even with some really yucky pongs. :)

Orange oil ?

Never heard of it. I have heard a cut up lemon helps get rid of smells.

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:28 am

500N wrote:
Mrs Ex-Ascot wrote:Many moons ago when I was nursing, if we had a "bad smell "situation we simply made a homemade air freshener. Soak a piece of gauze with orange oil and hang on the wall. It was very effective even with some really yucky pongs. :)

Orange oil ?

Never heard of it. I have heard a cut up lemon helps get rid of smells.

Yes indeed; orange oil in its concentrated form is a commonly used ingredient in air fresheners and cleaning products. :D
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

Capetonian

#8 Post by Capetonian » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:39 am

I have been told that a raw onion in a fridge gets rid of bad smells. Personally I find it hard to imagine a worse smell than raw onion, so I've never tried it.

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by probes » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:18 am

Capetonian wrote:I have been told that a raw onion in a fridge gets rid of bad smells. Personally I find it hard to imagine a worse smell than raw onion, so I've never tried it.

replacing the bad for the worse (or worst)? :-?

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by ian16th » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:34 am

Many years ago, and I mean over 40! I had the misfortune to have a sachet of milk burst in my car.
The said milk of course soaked into the carpet and went sour, the stink as you can imagine was absolutely obnoxious, and repeated cleaning with everything on the market didn't help.

Until! I bought some Air Freshener powder/crystals from Halfords. It was supposed to be used to get rid of the pong from cigarettes by sprinkling in the ashtray's, but a couple of doses onto the carpet, with subsequent vacuuming, got rid of this most obnoxious stink.

Sorry but after all these years, I cannot remember the name of the stuff, but you local Halfords might be able to help..
Cynicism improves with age

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:21 am

Halfords ! Are they still going ?

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by Karearea » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:34 am

Re raw onion in a fridge - I should think that that would just make the fridge smell of onion.
However, years ago it was said that a dish of sliced onion left in a room would remove any smell from fresh paint. I tried it once and it seemed to work.
And with the morn, those angel faces smile...