The Beard

By Popular Request - Modded by the Girls of Ops-Normal.
Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: The Beard

#41 Post by Hydromet » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:31 am

My old OC, a certain Major J. Orde, used to have hairy cheeks, kinda under his eyes. He just shaved straight down from his sideburns and let the rest grow. I thought it rather suited him, but when I tried it, it made me look like a monkey.
A former Chief of Navy here had similar. He (and they) were known to all & sundry as 'Old Bugger Handles.'

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#42 Post by OFSO » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:14 am

So many people, and yes, mostly female people, have said that they like my beard, that I am keeping it.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#43 Post by G-CPTN » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:36 am

cockney steve
CPL
CPL

#44 Post by cockney steve » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:27 pm

White ones are ok-ish "salt 'n pepper just looks scruffy...even worse when the latter is mainly long stubble, -the tramp-look as epitomised by one J Corbyn.

ribrash

#45 Post by ribrash » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:31 pm

cockney steve wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:27 pm
White ones are ok-ish "salt 'n pepper just looks scruffy...even worse when the latter is mainly long stubble, -the tramp-look as epitomised by one J Corbyn.
I guess I'm ok-ish then.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#46 Post by OFSO » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:52 pm

Needed a trimmer as the old one has died. Boots ! At eye level, trimmers from £25 to £100 (yes !) Despite creaking knees, folded myself down to floor level. On bottom shelf, Boots own model, £14, more importantly than price is small and lightweight. Works, also, now am less attractive to Diane Abbott.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#47 Post by OFSO » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:56 pm

Not sure how many mm the hair above the upper lip should be trimmed back. 1mm seems fine but when I purse my lips - for example after reading one of K&C's posts - I can feel the ends of the individual hairs. 3mm is too much. Is there an Officer's Mess standard ?

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#48 Post by Hydromet » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:29 pm

A former chief of the Australian Navy didn't have the traditional sailor's beard, but two little puffs of whisker on his upper cheeks. He once rebuked a CPO who grew similar by telling him that "On me they look distinguished - on you they look ridiculous."
They were known by all and sundry as "bugger handles", and he as "old bugger handles."

Slasher

#49 Post by Slasher » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:07 am

My missus loathes me having any form of beard. Says she hates it scratching her face and ...other places. Can't even stand me having a 5 o clock shadow.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#50 Post by Rwy in Sight » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:35 am

Slasher, check the tolerable length of face hair. A lady that you would like was fine with short facial hair but did dislike a longish version.Although I understand that if she dislike a five o'clock shadow this is an issue.

Slasher

#51 Post by Slasher » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:08 am

Not really an issue RiS. Ap said from day one she hates scratchy beards so I've long accepted to shave before we play any funny buggers. Not many Asian women like a faceful of cacti spikes on their bloke anyway.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#52 Post by G-CPTN » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:09 am

Slasher wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:08 am
Not many Asian women like a faceful of cacti spikes on their bloke anyway.
No doubt the result of an extensive survey?

Slasher

#53 Post by Slasher » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:20 am

No that's just a cultural fact. Most ME women for example prefer bearded faces as would be expected.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#54 Post by OFSO » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:18 am

Well the Eurostar computerised passport scanners don't like beards so I have to go to booths manned by humans. Who inevitably burst out laughing when I say why I'm there and not at their electronic cousins...

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#55 Post by Hydromet » Tue May 07, 2019 11:44 am

Long time ago in Singapore, I was checking into a hotel and the woman doing the check-in said "We don't like beards in Singapore." I was tempted to tell her not to grow one then, but given the political climate of the times, I desisted.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#56 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue May 07, 2019 6:26 pm

Hydromet wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:29 pm
They were known by all and sundry as "bugger handles", and he as "old bugger handles."
Bugger's Grips I was told.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#57 Post by John Hill » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:17 am

Sometime in the early 70's the boss announced before all and sundry that I would be having a haircut and a shave before the upcoming royal visit***. I assured him I would if I could find a hygiene certified barbers' shop within a thousand miles. I held out for two years on the haircut and I am still holding off on the shave.

We were loading the C206 to go into Taleban era A'stan when the P'stani passport guy started to laugh, I asked him to share the joke and he said he thought I might be going to J'bad in disguise!

***Royal VC10 at Rarotonga, one of you guys might have been on board.
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#58 Post by OFSO » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:51 pm

For the Festival de Trobadors last weekend I allowed my beard to go untrimmed, thinking there would be a universal increase in length and thickness. Not a bit of it. Every individual hair seems to have its own idea on growth and direction. Untrimmed it looks a mess.Why is this so in humans when in dogs and cat their hair grows in a consistent fashion.

Slasher

#59 Post by Slasher » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:51 am

While away in Honkers and being a lazy bastard I would just let my beard grow wild till the night before I go back home. I've since stopped - as a cadet a couple of months ago offered to help me out of the sim seat as I was a "bearded old man"! :-o

Asians show respect to broken down burnt out old geriatrics when they see them. I hurrumphingly told him I'm far too young to be bloody old! :-L

Been shaving since every morning and no such insulting offers have followed. The tiny-boobed yet nice chinky girl at the Centre's info desk did say I look years younger without a húzi.

I don't care being visually mistaken as a bum but I'll be buggered if I'm gonna be called old before my time! [-(

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#60 Post by ian16th » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:22 am

With the current price of razor blades, shaving is becoming a luxury.
Cynicism improves with age