Regrets. Useful to carry around or not?

By Popular Request - Modded by the Girls of Ops-Normal.
ribrash

Re: Regrets. Useful to carry around or not?

#21 Post by ribrash » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:57 pm

I returned to work 5 months after a hip replacement.I felt the company was hindering my recovery by putting me in a physically sh*t working position.I went home after my last night shift,slept,woke up and gave my notice in. 6 months later they shut half the factory down and made half the work force redundant. By being a bit impetuous I missed out on a £85,000 pay off.Regrets I've had a few.

Slasher

#22 Post by Slasher » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:42 pm

Midwife didn't smack her backside when she was born she hit her in the face with a shovel.

=)) 👍🏻

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#23 Post by Rwy in Sight » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:05 am

ribrash wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:57 pm
I returned to work 5 months after a hip replacement.I felt the company was hindering my recovery by putting me in a physically sh*t working position.I went home after my last night shift,slept,woke up and gave my notice in. 6 months later they shut half the factory down and made half the work force redundant. By being a bit impetuous I missed out on a £85,000 pay off.Regrets I've had a few.
Would have you been able to work six more months? Would you have been among those being redundant?

ribrash

#24 Post by ribrash » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:30 am

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:05 am
ribrash wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:57 pm
Would have you been able to work six more months? Would you have been among those being redundant?
I don't know how the new hip would have reacted.I had to squat down every 20 minutes for a 12 hour shift. I was on the redundancy list RiS.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by Rwy in Sight » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:20 pm

Painful work routine ribrash.

ribrash

#26 Post by ribrash » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:04 pm

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:20 pm
Painful work routine ribrash.
It was only picking up sheets of newsprint shed when cutting a jumbo reel of newsprint to newspaper size but it was relentless.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27 Post by om15 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:48 pm

I regret not retiring at 60, I could have spent the 5 years doing the things that I wanted to instead of what others wanted me to. I had a mental block that told me that it was normal to work to 65 and I didn't question that or consider whether I needed to financially.
So I regret five lost years.

Capetonian

#28 Post by Capetonian » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:57 pm

I got the company I worked for to kick me out when I was 54. It was one of the best decisions I ever made and my only regret was not having done it sooner, but then perhaps the opportunities that came later might not have happened, so no regrets really. Last year I decided not to do any more work again, another good decision about which I only have the odd regret, but the good times I enjoyed are over and when I get together with the old 'team' the ones who are still working are not enjoying it.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#29 Post by om15 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:33 pm

I still do a little work for a couple of companies, friends that asked me do the odd day carrying out mentoring and training, although I enjoy the catch ups and seeing them again it makes me realise how pleased I am not to be dealing with aircraft owners, the CAA and airport security on a daily basis, all the fun has gone out of it.
I don't regret a life in aviation, but just that I spent a little too long in it.

I had my annual BP check on my birthday, 120 over 85, used to be 190 over 95 when working, so an additional five years of that didn't do me much good.

reddo
Capt
Capt

#30 Post by reddo » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:50 pm

To dwell over regret but to do nothing is a waste of time and mental resources. Slasher on the other hand, regretted what he did when he was a teenager and resolved to be a better man. It looks like he's atoned for his misguided juvenile behaviour, so mulling over regret - past behaviour has been of benefit.
To say a heartfelt apology to someone you did a wrong to is an incredibly honest thing to do. Well done.

Do I regret things? Maybe? But then again, I wouldn't be where I am now with a great husband. So? If the purpose of regret is to learn to be a better person or to recognise an opportunity, then regret is ok, to do nothing about regret? That's a missed opportunity to learn.

Slasher

#31 Post by Slasher » Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:51 am

Good point Reddo. 👍🏻

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:04 pm

I dream about the things I regret because, when I am conscious, I know I can't atone for my many sins. These questions are important but, Reddo is right I think. Do the best you can and after that...

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#33 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:36 am

This is a good article on the subject of regret; https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/arti ... Not-I.html :)
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

sidevalve
ATPL
ATPL

#34 Post by sidevalve » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:47 pm

I read somewhere once that where we are today is the result of all those countless thousands of decisions we took to get here.
If we could go back and change one of them, perhaps our lives might have taken a markedly different path.
Yes, looking back now, my first marriage was a mistake - but here I am now.. (happy comme un cochon dans la merde!)

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#35 Post by ian16th » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:48 pm

Capetonian wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:35 am
Cue for :

I know I'm a little late, but this English girl makes quite a good effort at Edith's most famous song:

Cynicism improves with age