Hubcaps

By Popular Request - Modded by the Girls of Ops-Normal.
OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Hubcaps

#1 Post by OFSO » Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:02 pm

We have now spent around six hours searching either side of a section of around 200m of a lane, bordered on one side by a few feet of descent into flat meadows covered in very close cropped grass, and on the other by thickets on the other side of which is a stream of very clear water. Mrs OFSO saw the wheel trim come off in her mirror, stopped, went back, and it wasn't there. Dear Agony Aunt, can you make any suggestions as to where it might be ? It's not in the stream or caught in the thickets or lying in the field. I can't see any evidence of portals into the next dimension, nor goblin holes. Where did it go, and if you know, are my socks there?
Yours Ernest Thribb (Mr).

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Hubcaps

#2 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:36 pm

Dear Mr OFSO

Your hubcap is in a supposition of states and is quantumly entangled with an old shellac album version of 'Johnny Hubcap and his Axles Greatest Hits' which is spinning in the reverse direction at 33 RPM in my study, as we speak. Another example of "spooky action" at a distance, I am afraid. I shall put the record back in its sleeve and hopefully the probability wave will decohere, thus leading to your hubcap emerging in the field in its classical form for you to find and refit to your car.

Yours sincerely

TGG
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by OFSO » Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:10 pm

Next search: tomorrow...

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:28 pm

Perhaps it has buried it's way into mud well below water level in a deep pool.

Years ago we lost a numberplate in such a pool. We waited for the water level to drop and while Ex-Ascot waded in the mud looking for it, I opened the car door to get out and help and promptly trod on it. :D :))

So my suggestion is to wait for the water level to drop and the mud to dry out. :D
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by OFSO » Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:02 pm

Water flowing in stream despite months drought. It won't get lower. Rain forecast for next few days: snow down to 500 metres...

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:30 pm

Tire shop or wrecking yard. :-?
Every time I go past one they seem to have a wall of orphaned or salvaged wheel covers (hub caps in old money).

PP

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by OFSO » Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:23 pm

We had a spare, but that's not the point. I will not be defeated by a random loss. I will not be defeated by walking a few feet from it lost in a thicket and not seeing it. Tomorrow I will be using the Sioux Smoke and Sweat divination method, taught to me by "Captain" Peabody the Mad Herbalist.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by llondel » Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:35 pm

OFSO wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:23 pm
We had a spare, but that's not the point. I will not be defeated by a random loss. I will not be defeated by walking a few feet from it lost in a thicket and not seeing it. Tomorrow I will be using the Sioux Smoke and Sweat divination method, taught to me by "Captain" Peabody the Mad Herbalist.
It will be in the last place you look for it.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by OFSO » Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:27 pm

In that case, I'll look under my bed.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by CharlieOneSix » Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:55 pm

Hubcaps are just frisbees, designed by motor manufacturers to land far outside any normal frisbee range. This ensures a trade in replacements methinks.....
Michael Conger, the men's overall Frisbee champion in Maryland, reports that the current world records for Frisbee distance-throwing are: about 490 feet in the junior division (kids 19 and under); about 613 feet in the men's division; and about 409 feet in the women's division.
If you weren't so far aware I'd fire up my DJI drone and sweep the area. ;)))
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by llondel » Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:10 pm

CharlieOneSix wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:55 pm
Hubcaps are just frisbees, designed by motor manufacturers to land far outside any normal frisbee range. This ensures a trade in replacements methinks.....
Michael Conger, the men's overall Frisbee champion in Maryland, reports that the current world records for Frisbee distance-throwing are: about 490 feet in the junior division (kids 19 and under); about 613 feet in the men's division; and about 409 feet in the women's division.
If you weren't so far aware I'd fire up my DJI drone and sweep the area. ;)))
Someone needs to develop in-flight recharging for drones.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by OFSO » Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:17 pm

I found another today, this one from a Citröen that wasn't there yesterday. So far three found, none of them ours. The Ascots may have a point. If the drought continues to summer, the stream may be dry and who knows what is in there? The remains of Shergar, Lord Lucan's fake moustache, or my 912 Targa....

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:06 pm

Sounds like a new hobby...Hubcap Collecting. :))
Indoor/Outdoor wall decorations? :-?

PP

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by Woody » Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:39 pm

People are way ahead of you PP :))

When all else fails, read the instructions.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by OFSO » Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:50 pm

While prowling the garage in the absence of Mme's car last week, I found under the storage shelves two matching undamaged hubcaps which I can put on one side of her car, and since nobody can see both sides of her car at once* the disparity with the other side won't be noticed.

* I might be wrong about this. Young people move so fast these days.

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by tango15 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:20 pm

As a Scouser born and bred, I know a lot about hubcaps. I can identify any hubcap in total darkness from 100 yards. My consultancy services are expensive, though. Actually to be serious for a moment, you would be amazed how far they can roll after falling off. I would suggest consulting a setsquare and slide rule from the point of loss.

Johnny 'Pythagoras' O'Neill
Knotty Ash

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by John Hill » Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:35 am

You are cursed with a problem of perception. You are searching and searching for a 'hubcap' but you will never find it as the image in your mind cannot be seen the hubcap now laying 'inside-up'.

Take off another hubcap and study the inside-side until the image is fixed in your noggin then restart you search, after having re-put the one you took off.
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:05 am

John Hill wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:35 am
You are cursed with a problem of perception. You are searching and searching for a 'hubcap' but you will never find it as the image in your mind cannot be seen the hubcap now laying 'inside-up'.

Take off another hubcap and study the inside-side until the image is fixed in your noggin then restart you search, after having re-put the one you took off.
Gestaltpsychologie und die Radkappe!
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by OFSO » Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:32 pm

I suspect it's more that the miscreant is wedged vertically somewhere in a bush or tree, and it's only visible edge on. However I'm training my fleas to search for hubcaps and have great hopes that sooner or later....

(How? I place warmed knockwurst on a spare hubcap and release the fleas from an ever-increasing distance while playing the Horst Wessel Lied on a comb-and-paper contraption. Scent and music are both great motivators.)

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:51 pm

Recall my father driving his 1935 Morris 8, he looked in the rear view mirror, as one does occasionally, and saw a wheel following him down the road. He seemed to think that it couldn't be one of his ( wonder why he thought that ! ) but stopped anyway, and was passed by his own spare wheel, which had been strapped to the back of the fuselage, as spare wheels were in those days. Seems the strap had rotted and allowed the wheel to bounce out, quite why it assumed a following path instead of just running around where it had exited, was never explained.

In my last car, having lost a couple, I used plastic ties to secure the hub caps, but of a nuisance when one suffered a puncture and had to change a wheel, but stopped them going off on their own.