What prevents us from common sense?

By Popular Request - Modded by the Girls of Ops-Normal.
G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

What prevents us from common sense?

#1 Post by G-CPTN » Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:20 pm

I currently have a situation where I know what the common sense action would be, but I cannot begin to action that activity.

It isn't life-threatening (ie not alcoholism or gambling) but it is akin to an addiction in that I just cannot begin to do what I know to be the simple correct behaviour to rectify my predicament.

I prevaricate or prefer to ignore the situation.

I am a hoarder (and have been since childhood when my father preached 'make do and mend') - so I have a lifetime's collection of 'things that might be useful' that I need to dispense with as I have run out of space . . .

I realise that, at my age, I am unlikely to need any of my collection of items, but it seems such a waste to throw them away.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: What prevents us from common sense?

#2 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:36 pm

You hold a view which you acquired before you started sophisticated reasoning. It is therefore difficult to change that attitude with reasoning (common sense) since it wasn't acquired by a reasoning process.
My suggestion is that you find another view also passed to you by your father (whether verbally or by example) which would allow you to dispose of the now-unnecessary things. You will thus not have to disrespect your father by changing your hoarding attitude.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:38 pm

I acquired a spare pair of jungle boot laces in 1964. In 1989 I had to pop the rear window in my Fiesta.
Using the method learnt in 1964 I used a jungle boot lace and popped the window back in.

When my aunt died in 1989 I inherited a can of 3 in 1 easing oil. I used a drop the other day, it worked almost instantly.

The trick of JiC is remembering you have it and where it is.

In answer to G CPTN s problem, move house, open an eBay account and befriend your local charity shop.

I sold my unused toy soldiers over 60 years old world wide. Amazing where some went. One even went to Taiwan. The biggest habit breaker was selling my stamp collection.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:57 pm

All takes time and effort tho' We can't get our car into the two car garage now full or boxes of stuff that we brought with us when we moved last year. I know I have "it" somewhere, but easier to go out and buy another. I would love to be the subject of one of those "hoarders" TV programmes, and stand by watching someone else move it all.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by John Hill » Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:56 am

I am working on a project for our museum and have finally found a use for a ship's radar antenna rotator which I have been saving since about 1974.
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by OFSO » Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:29 pm

In the 1980s an English colleague told me had had in the garage of his rented house in Germany a naval gearbox with reduction gear and multi point take-offs. He'd bought it years before as despite never having had a boat, he thought it might come in useful. He's been retired this many a year, but I bet the gearbox is now lurking in his house in Seaford.

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#7 Post by jimtherev » Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:15 pm

My M. O. seems to be 'They're cheap enough, I'll buy two'
Couple of weeks back I decided to build a tiny audio amp. (Vestry acoustic insulation too good; can't hear what's happening in church) Rooted about in various boxes in study and workshop and found (well, with a bit of a compromise) every component I needed. Except for... a miniature on-off switch. Duly ordered.

Doesn't often work that way, though. My 'come-in-handy drawer' now occupies most of the workshop.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:19 am

'They're cheap enough, I'll buy two'
Or three ? That's my philosophy now, many years too late, for things, 'specially items of clothing that wear out and need replacing, 'cos when the time comes "they" have discontinued it, usually on the orders of the Fashion Police. Stuff 'em.

On the other hand ..... I'm not sorry that I no longer have to wear braces to keep my trousers up ( tho' with the present trend of making trousers without belt loops maybe ...... ? ) or starched white detachable shirt collars - remember them - or search for a missing cufflink as I haven't worn Black ( or White ) Tie for years, and never will again, here in NZ public figures and Politicians - Male - have even stopped wearing ordinary ties, and not sure that I could still remember to tie one !

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Undried Plum » Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:58 am

Anybd'y here remember collar studs?

WTF wuz that all about?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by Boac » Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:31 am

If you really need to know............. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detachable_collar

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:38 am

Anybd'y here remember collar studs?

Yes, them too. Came across a front one recently in an old box of bits, probably one my Father gave me when I started wearing the collars. Large white rear piece, and a small, hinged, brass bit for the front behind the tie knot.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by Undried Plum » Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:07 pm

I've still got two pairs, though I dunno why. Last time I wore them was first term at Cranditz.

I ought to to throw them into the shingly bit of the river for future archaeologists to puzzle over.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:18 pm

Not just collar studs, shirt studs. Push stud through back panel, push through front panel, screw in gold plated stud, and repeat. At end of evening either rip shirt off or carefully unscrew each stud depending on how good the function was.
One habit never broken is to ensure bed is clear of any obstructions, before going out, that might hinder later translation from vertical to horizontal.
Being married it is usually to find discarded day wear and 2 or 3 rejected dresses on MY side of the bed. Logical though as my side was clear.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by 4mastacker » Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:37 pm

Wasn't the impression left by a collar stud on one's throat a sure fire way of identifying one as a member of the light blue?

On entering Brat School, one was issued with two shirts w/o collars and two collars(detachable) plus one shirt (collar attached and for use with No 1 uniform only). Our No 2 uniform was the old "Hairy Mary" No 1 uniform - if it got wet, it smelt like a dog after rolling in something unpleasant.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by llondel » Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:37 pm

Having had to do a house clearing after someone died, and finding receipts from the 1950s stored with other bits of paper, I am of two minds as to whether I don't want to inflict the same on those who may have to clear up after me, and thinking "Sod it! I had to do it, why shouldn't they?"

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:13 pm

I inherited my uncle's Oz Army papers, clothing book etc and my Aunt's ATS papers. Family heirlooms, recycle bin or eBay. Ebay!

I have some of my uncle's buttons and badges all highly prized by re enactors.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by llondel » Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:51 am

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:13 pm
I inherited my uncle's Oz Army papers, clothing book etc and my Aunt's ATS papers. Family heirlooms, recycle bin or eBay. Ebay!

I have some of my uncle's buttons and badges all highly prized by re enactors.
We did take the time to look at some of the stuff and attempt to rehome it. A high school yearbook from 1939 went back to the school, a bunch of membership records and some formal dinner photos from 1943 went to the president of one of the US honour societies. I have a bunch of wartime letters too, written by various people back to the one still in the US, who would produce a newsletter to send back out to all of them. All stuff that I think should be preserved and handed over to those who have an interest in preserving such records of mundane life back then. One day I'll get around to looking for places to ask if they want them - I never quite got organised enough to contact Duxford when we lived nearby.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:53 am

Ilondel, in that category I have stacks of photo plates from pre WW1 from Thibet (sic) and they really do need a home. I sold an English - Thibet dictionary, poor condition with book worm holes to a professor in the USA for $$$.

I do have two sets of portrait images that I have mounted in frames. One is of Thibetans in costume and sepia, the other, which includes my grandfather, in blue tone. I don't know what that is called.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by Undried Plum » Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:23 am

My mother was a student at Central Drama School in the 1940s. Christopher Fry, who at the time was developing his play 'The Lady's Not For Burning', was an occasional teacher there and had a bit of a thing for her, gave her his original manuscript.

She sold it for £100 to a well known thespian who is still extant and is occasionally active in films and voiceovers. If she was still alive I could have slapped her. That document must be worth tens or hundreds of thousands.

When Attila the Hen made that well known twist to the name of the play, I damn nearly threw my whisky glass through the CRT screen of my telly.