Need for a natural disaster of epic proportions, major war or global epidemic.

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Slasher

Re: Need for a natural disaster of epic proportions, major war or global epidemic.

#181 Post by Slasher » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:56 am

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:43 am
How are the death/cases rates comparing between China, developed Countries and developing countries?
The Chinese communist party blatantly bullshits through its arse and should be taken as a rough indication only. However in my link above there’s a local pollie mentioned who’s as weak as bloody piss fearing of upsetting the Chinks. Useless bastard. Apsara like most Thais hates his guts.The Commie Party of Nam I wouldn’t put too much faith in. Commie Laos doesn’t say boo. Neither does Ulan Bator.

Malaysia and Singapore numbers are about right. Flipperines not sure. Indonesia also.

Dunno about Western countries.

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Need for a natural disaster of epic proportions, major war or global epidemic.

#182 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:05 am

Slasher wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:21 am
The locals here are wandering around wearing cheap simple surgical masks that don’t do squat. The only thing that offers some real protection is a respirator like the N95.
True, if you are going to wear a mask then the N95 would be better; however any mask is useless if it doesn't fit properly. Also this virus can get in through the eyes so a proper eye mask also needs to be worn. The advice being given out by the British medics (posted by me as a Daily Mail article on the Coronavirus thread in Sick Bay} is to avoid prolonged {ie less than 15 minutes) close contact with people in crowds such as public transport, try to keep at least 2 metres away from people especially if they are coughing, wear disposable/washable gloves when outside the home and the most important of all is wash your hands frequently using soap for at least 20 seconds {or use alcohol wipes) especially when you have been in contact with door handles etc in public places. And don't touch your face with potentially contaminated mitts.

Hope this helps. :)
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#183 Post by probes » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:08 am

With the outbreak fuelling anti-Chinese sentiment in many countries, such as South Korea, Japan and Denmark, Mr Lertsak offered moral support, saying precautionary measures can be taken without discriminating against an entire population. "If the virus had broken out here, we would not be happy carrying the stigma," he added.
(from the Bangkok Post)

- are there any confirmed cases of non-Chinese individuals anywhere?

Slasher

#184 Post by Slasher » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:10 am

That it does TS. Thanks dear. :)

Slasher

#185 Post by Slasher » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:11 am

Yes Probes. A local BKK taxi driver is confirmed as true.

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#186 Post by probes » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:18 am

Uhh, quite close, then :(.
A Brit has shared his story of using warm whiskey as his cure A British man known to have caught the coronavirus beat the killer bug with a “glass of hot whisky and honey”.

- and, of course, he's non-Chinese, too. Sry, slow thinker :ymblushing:

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#187 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:40 am

In precautions, wash hair frequently too.

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#188 Post by probes » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:05 pm

- If one has any, that is :-w

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#189 Post by k3k3 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:52 pm

I'll settle for a polish.

SOPS
Capt
Capt

#190 Post by SOPS » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:28 am

They are predicting 80000 deaths in New South Wales. I think we may have your epic pandemic .

Jetex Jim
Capt
Capt

#191 Post by Jetex Jim » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:50 pm

Alisoncc wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:50 am
Believe our civilisation is currently in need of a major war, a world wide epidemic and/or a natural disaster of epic proportions. Something to focus the mind away from the petty day-to-day personal agendas that everyone seems to dwell on.

What with the financial pundits forecasting another GFC/Recession on a daily basis. Governments scrabbling about in the dirt to save having to do anything meaningful. UK MP's with personal agendas re: Brexit, the US with impeachment, trade wars and Trump totally oblivious to civilised norms, Australia with royal commissions to just delay decisions, South America burning the Amazon forests, China with war crimes against the Uyghurs, Hong Kong, etc, etc. One must admit "It's a bloody mess". And that's ignoring climate change. It's changing irrespective of what one believes to be the reason.

My favourite would be an epidemic, a bit like Spanish Flu, or a more infectious variant of Ebola well entrenched in China or India. Mind you the West Coast of the US sliding into the sea has potential. Especially if the Tsunami is of monumental proportions that reaches all the way across the Pacific.

World needs a defibrillator shock to get things running properly again, or pronounce it bloody dead.

Alison
So how are people feeling about this now?

For myself I'd say the current situation will NOT have a positive affect on the world's economy.
Persuading working people to vote against their own best interests is the primary focus of conservative politics.

unifoxos
Capt
Capt

#192 Post by unifoxos » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:32 pm

I think we may have your epic pandemic .

Unlikely. Mortality rate quoted as 3-4% in various sources. That's not the disaster the world needs. 30-40% would be more appropriate.
Sent from my tatty old Windoze PC.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#193 Post by Boac » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:15 pm

Give Alison a chance - she's only just got going with the pandemic :-)

Actually, hang on................ I remember way back Alison talking about all the BATS around her place - you don't think she was breeding them, do you?

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#194 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:27 pm

Breeding them is one thing. Eating them is something else! =))

PP

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#195 Post by Boac » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:30 pm

Somebody has been!

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#196 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:46 pm

Anybody for barbecued pangolin? Poor little critters...

The Chinese modus operandi with respect to fauna (and flora) is a blight on the world and civilization but we are all culpable in the end. Mankind will bring about its own demise in short order if we continue as we have been doing.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#197 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:00 pm

One person in Iran dies of coronavirus every ten minutes, health official reveals and some 50 people become infected with the virus every hour.

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#198 Post by probes » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:07 pm

Hm. That's 6 per hour, 144 per day?
Pardon my math, of course, but...

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#199 Post by BenThere » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:35 pm

In 1978 Iran was on the verge of becoming a first world country. Then it freely installed an Islamist theocracy. Pity.

It seems Iran is having increasing difficulty coping with the mounting consequences.

The Iranians I've known, 30 or so, all exiles who escaped the revolution, have shown themselves to be polite, charming, well-educated and make fine Americans now. And the quality of their English speaking is uniformly excellent. My favorite is a lady who married a USAF captain in my squadron back in the late 1980s. She sang with the Sacramento Opera. She attended a New Year's Eve party at my house about 20 years ago and sang 'Ave Maria' for us. I'll never forget it as it was so beautifully done by a pro. She was educated and trained in France. I suspect Iran doesn't produce the likes of her anymore.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#200 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:53 pm

In 2016 the USA was on the verge of becoming a first world country. Then it freely installed a corrupt kleptocracy. Pity.

It seems the USA is having increasing difficulty coping with the mounting consequences.

The Americans I've known, 10 or so, all exiles who escaped the would-be autocracy, have shown themselves to be polite, charming, well-educated and make fine humans now. And the quality of their English speaking is uniformly excellent (surprising for some Americans).

And they say the British are patronizing gits... !

To the other many fine, decent Americans who post here I can only point out the irony in my response to the last preposterous post!
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."