War in Australia - Australian Politics

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
FO
FO
Re: War in Australia - Australian Politics

#41 Post by 6050 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:16 am

The Labor party and unions screaming blue murder and biased about the royal commission, what a joke considering where its coming from. Frankly, even if the guy is does it matter?

At best all he does is make recommendations, anything criminal will go to other parties to sort. Frankly if you want some one to get to the bottom of something, don't you want someone with a bit of mongrel in them, and be a bit hostile?

But then there's the basic philosophic principle, the guy may be biased, a person of his statue is required to make judgments based on legal principles, not what his feelings are. If someone like him can't get to the bottom of the union cr@p, and come up with an unbiased professional opinion, then we are all stuffed. You don't think judges etc. don't sit there thinking, "f$%^k me he's as guilty as sin" but they follow the rules.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#42 Post by 500N » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:18 am

For those in the know re Police and Emergency services wearing medals.

Why do quite a lot of them wear medals above both breast pockets ?

I noticed it again with the Border Force Commissioner the other day.

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#43 Post by Pinky the pilot » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:39 am

Frankly if you want some one to get to the bottom of something, don't you want someone with a bit of mongrel in them, and be a bit hostile?

Precisely. And such a trait would be just as good in a Prime Minister.

However from my observations, that is exactly what Tony Abbott is not! And more's the pity. :(
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

SOPS
Capt
Capt

#44 Post by SOPS » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:51 am

Pinky, could not agree more. See my previous post.

david1300
FO
FO

#45 Post by david1300 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:57 am

Well of course he was always going to get a lot of criticism if he ruled he was to stay on heading the Royal Commission, but the best advice I gan give is: "Dyson, just suck it up" :p

Hat, coat - I can find the door, thank you.

Bull at a Gate
FO
FO

#46 Post by Bull at a Gate » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:25 am

As someone whose political views have generally been towards the left, I am surprised to find myself agreeing with Mr (not Justice) Heydon that he should not disqualify himself from continuing to sit as Commissioner. I am not saying that the commission was set up for entirely honourable motives, just that I do not believe that by agreeing to give the lecture a fair minded and reasonable person would think that he is therefore biased.

What do you fair minded and reasonable people think?

Sisemen

#47 Post by Sisemen » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:33 am

Given what’s been uncovered thus far then it is now immaterial whether the Commission was set up for entirely honourable motives. The unions are a rancid sore that needs cleaning up.

MTOW
Capt
Capt

#48 Post by MTOW » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:30 pm

Note to Hal Colebatch's publishers: this would be a really good time to release a paperback edition of 'Australia's Secret War'.

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#49 Post by Pinky the pilot » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:25 am

this would be a really good time to release a paperback edition of 'Australia's Secret War'.

What an interesting thought! :D
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

Cooda
CPL
CPL

#50 Post by Cooda » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:03 am

Seems labor leaders past and present are coming out in favour of CHAFTA.

Is labor moving to distance itself from the "rogue unions" and divest itself of William Shorten?

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#51 Post by 500N » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:10 am

Cooda wrote:Seems labor leaders past and present are coming out in favour of CHAFTA.
Is labor moving to distance itself from the "rogue unions" and divest itself of William Shorten?

I just heard that on the ABC midday program. All but Shorten, CFMEU and ACTU are in favour.
I was a bit surprised but Hawke and Crean were quite vocal about it.

FO
FO

#52 Post by 6050 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:10 pm

Precisely. And such a trait would be just as good in a Prime Minister.

Not sure about that, in our system of government some backbone is required, but we are not presidential even though like to think it is. (Rudd) Its more important that the PM is a good manager an can run a good team (not happening). That said you are only as good as your team and if you have some bad apples stirring the pot then it doesn't mater how good you are.

In Abbott's case, the left have expended a lot of effort making him out to be some out of touch uncaring guy, when in reality its a lot different.

However from my observations, that is exactly what Tony Abbott is not! And more's the pity

Abbott has a lot of good qualities, and to be honest, sticking by people unless its for extreme circumstances is a good trait. That said, political reality is a b!tch and it hurts to do so. Its amazing that in civy world, we like and expect our mates and work buddies, bosses to not throw you out for the odd balls up, yet we use different standards for the pollies.

Where abbott needs to show some back bone, is to root out the snake in the grass he has in cabinet and expel them. They can then concentrate on showing a stable united front.

At the moment the whole thing is a joke, the labor party has nothing, all their doing is relying on the trickle feed of minor issues to feed on, and just add Abbott to the end of it. Every second word that comes out of the Labor and Greens has Abbott in it.

sprintman

#53 Post by sprintman » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:31 am

Having met Abbott I'm thinking hard about his 'good qualities' but it's a struggle.

FO
FO

#54 Post by 6050 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:06 am

Having met Abbott I'm thinking hard about his 'good qualities' but it's a struggle.

Hmm lets see

Appears to be a dedicated faithful family man.
Seems to love his sister even though it conflicts with his faith, hardly a sign of a hard core catholic.
Big into volunteering in the community.
Big into healthy lifestyle and setting an example to one of the western worlds health poxes, obesity.

Seem to not be to driven by the polls and hard to change, I personally find that a positive. Seems to stick by his friends, unless theres some thing really grave, after all hands up who havn't made stuff ups.

No lets see, as far as know he hasn't been accused and investigated for raping a young girl. I don't think he's been accused of deceiving and cheating on some one he supposedly loves. I don't think he's been accused of loosing it and abusing insert people( flight attendant, various staff) for various trivial reasons.

naa I guess theres not much good about him.

The trouble is the haters keep peddling the Abbott is bad or evil bit, but when you ping them on it they come up with nothing substantial.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#55 Post by 500N » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:39 am

Good ol Julie Bishop getting feisty in Parliament, calling Tanya something !
Everyone is saying it was "Bitch" but not sure.

Sisemen

#56 Post by Sisemen » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:07 am

Got the feeling that somewhere in the ‘system’ there is a deliberate attempt to usurp Abbott. How else do you explain the report in the SMH about a Cabinet re-shuffle thereby forcing Abbott to deny which then takes away any option for a quiet re-shuffle later.

Sisemen

#57 Post by Sisemen » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:49 pm

What's with all the confected outrage at Dutton's off-hand comment. Shortarse is whipping himself up into a right lather demanding that everybody from the PM down to the tea lady resign.

Don't these clowns realise that it's that kind of crap that demeans politicians in the eyes of the public?

Sisemen

#58 Post by Sisemen » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:27 pm

Talk of another challenge to Abbott. Looks like the Liberals are in self-destruct mode.

sprintman

#59 Post by sprintman » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:18 am

The religious twat is finished but who will replace him??

SOPS
Capt
Capt

#60 Post by SOPS » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:00 am

Spill is on. News conference on now.