Censoring

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Message
Author
User avatar
Dushan
Capt
Capt
Posts: 1118
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:23 pm
Location: Right wing
Gender:
Age: 69

Re: Censoring

#221 Post by Dushan » Wed May 11, 2022 5:57 pm

admin2 wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 6:55 am
Dushan - do you mean warnings and bannings EXTRA to those imposed by Alison? You would need to be pretty thick (or stubborn) not to understand.
Sorry gov, I guess I am pretty thick because I do not understand the question.
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

User avatar
admin2
Capt
Capt
Posts: 275
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:13 pm
Location:

Re: Censoring

#222 Post by admin2 » Fri May 13, 2022 3:10 pm

Mr Plum has just managed to get himself banned in his new username from the TOP mil forum for 'trolling' and 'no military experience'. =))

I suspect that may gladden a few hearts here.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Posts: 4560
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:56 pm
Location: PHX
Gender:
Age: 67

Re: Censoring

#223 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri May 13, 2022 3:29 pm

Big deal. B-)
I was banned from R&N for accidently making two blank posts. :-o
Emails with Rob the Knob weren't very productive. Very condescending. X(

PP

ribrash
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Posts: 2536
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:15 pm
Location: Heswall,Wirral
Gender:

Re: Censoring

#224 Post by ribrash » Fri May 13, 2022 4:22 pm

admin2 wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 3:10 pm
Mr Plum has just managed to get himself banned in his new username from the TOP mil forum for 'trolling' and 'no military experience'. =))

I suspect that may gladden a few hearts here.
So the admins on the TOP are just as sad as the ones on O-N. :-bd
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F

User avatar
admin2
Capt
Capt
Posts: 275
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:13 pm
Location:

Re: Censoring

#225 Post by admin2 » Fri May 13, 2022 4:43 pm

and some of the posters?

User avatar
Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Posts: 6438
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:04 pm
Location: Lost in an FIR somewhere
Gender:

Re: Censoring

#226 Post by Rwy in Sight » Fri May 13, 2022 6:21 pm

Nahh the posters here are of a better class and excellent standing.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Posts: 4560
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:56 pm
Location: PHX
Gender:
Age: 67

Re: Censoring

#227 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri May 13, 2022 7:50 pm

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 6:21 pm
Nahh the posters here are of a better class and excellent standing.
Better looking, too! :))

PP

User avatar
Dushan
Capt
Capt
Posts: 1118
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:23 pm
Location: Right wing
Gender:
Age: 69

Re: Censoring

#228 Post by Dushan » Fri May 13, 2022 8:09 pm

admin2 wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 3:10 pm
Mr Plum has just managed to get himself banned in his new username from the TOP mil forum for 'trolling' and 'no military experience'. =))

I suspect that may gladden a few hearts here.
No, sorry. You are misreading us, or at least me.

I take no pleasure in anyone being banned/censored no mater how vile his views may be and how much I disagree with them, no matter whether it is here or on TOP. The cancerous cancel culture is spreading throughout our lives and it is just sad. Some seem to enjoy it, especially the ones at the dispensing end of it.
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

User avatar
OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Posts: 14741
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:39 pm
Location: The Peoples Republic of Whitton
Gender:
Age: 78

Re: Censoring

#229 Post by OFSO » Fri May 13, 2022 10:04 pm

Second the above. Shame that anyone would think I take pleasure in someone being banned.

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Posts: 2529
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:05 am
Location: Planet Claire
Gender:
Age: 61

Re: Censoring

#230 Post by AtomKraft » Fri May 13, 2022 10:51 pm

Those doing the banning, love banning.

User avatar
admin2
Capt
Capt
Posts: 275
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:13 pm
Location:

Re: Censoring

#231 Post by admin2 » Sat May 14, 2022 7:48 am

Never mind, he will be back here on June 9th at 07:14.

Pinky the pilot
Capt
Capt
Posts: 1920
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:20 am
Location: Still looking for that bad bottle of Red
Gender:
Age: 67

Re: Censoring

#232 Post by Pinky the pilot » Sat May 14, 2022 11:34 am

Those doing the banning, love banning.
I would respectfully disagree with that, AtomKraft. And that is what I like about this site; the fact than someone can disagree with anothers opinion but that we (mostly) do so in a respectful manner and still remain civil towards each other. :-bd
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

Rossian
Capt
Capt
Posts: 666
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:27 pm
Location: Morayshire Scotland
Gender:
Age: 80

Re: Censoring

#233 Post by Rossian » Sat May 14, 2022 1:11 pm

I second wot PtP has just sed.

The Ancient Mariner

User avatar
barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Posts: 4541
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:13 pm
Location: Another Planet
Gender:
Age: 73

Re: Censoring

#234 Post by barkingmad » Sat May 14, 2022 5:35 pm

Rossian wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 1:11 pm
I second wot PtP has just sed.

The Ancient Mariner
+10 :YMAPPLAUSE:

Why do the ‘wets’, or those of a left leaning disposition, or those who wake up every morning looking for a micro-aggression or something to upset them graduate towards refereeing others’ freedom of expression?

Just musing aloud, about no forum in particular... #-o

User avatar
OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Posts: 14741
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:39 pm
Location: The Peoples Republic of Whitton
Gender:
Age: 78

Re: Censoring

#235 Post by OFSO » Sat May 14, 2022 7:20 pm

I think it's the one thing the far right and the far left have in common. Freedom of speech is anathma to both.
Of course the left claim it's for your own good: the right claim it's for the good of the state, ie their own good

User avatar
barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Posts: 4541
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:13 pm
Location: Another Planet
Gender:
Age: 73

Re: Censoring

#236 Post by barkingmad » Sat May 14, 2022 8:59 pm

Barton Swaim, an editorial page writer for the Wall St Journal, has written a brilliant piece about how censorship has become fashionable among America’s educated elites – and not just America’s – under the guise of ‘protecting’ democracy from ‘misinformation’. What’s particularly good about Swaim’s piece is that he links the mistaken belief that ‘data’ and ‘facts’ can drive complicated policy decisions with the avoidance of difficult decisions during the pandemic, with politicians outsourcing difficult decisions to ‘experts’. Here is an extract:

"A quarter-century ago the word ‘censorship’ was almost a profanity in American politics. By the mid-2010s it was permitted, even praised, so long as it targeted heterodox thought. Speakers on college campuses were shouted down without a word of protest from people who in the 1980s had defended the public funding of sacrilegious photographs. Commentators in mainstream journals of opinion advocated the reinstatement of the Fairness Doctrine, which required broadcasters to present both sides of controversial issues and had the effect of chilling debate on every contentious question. A large number of respected academics and intellectuals suddenly believed the U.S. government had a duty to stop people from saying things those same academics and intellectuals held to be factually inaccurate.

Sceptics mostly attribute this new support for censorship to bad faith. I prefer a more charitable explanation. The new censors sincerely mistake their own interpretations of the facts for the facts themselves. Their opinions, filtered unconsciously through biases and experience, are, to them, simply information. Their views aren’t ‘views’ at all but raw data. Competing interpretations of the facts can be only one thing: misinformation. Or, if it’s deliberate, disinformation.

It is in many ways a strange outcome. From the 1970s to the early 2000s, academic philosophies associated with ‘postmodernism’ coursed through American higher education. They held that there was no objectively knowable truth, only subjective interpretation. As if to demonstrate postmodernism’s total impracticality, yesterday’s straight-A college students have now retreated into a risibly facile non-philosophy in which there is no interpretation, only objective ‘fact’.

Such was the mental disposition of America’s enlightened politicos and media sophisticates when the pandemic hit in early 2020. The challenge of public policy, as they saw it, was not to find practical, broadly acceptable solutions. The challenge, rather, was to find and implement the scientifically ‘correct’ solution, the one endorsed by experts. Sound policy, for them, was a matter of gathering enough data and ‘following’ it.

But of course you can’t follow data. Data just sits there and waits to be interpreted.

When COVID-19 came ashore, the country’s political class, in thrall to the authority of public-health experts and the journalists who listen to them, was singularly ill-equipped to lead in a sensible way. What the pandemic required was not the gathering and mastery of information and the quick implementation of ‘data driven’ policy. The data was wildly elusive, changing shape from day to day and yielding no obvious interpretation. No one understood the spread of this astoundingly resilient virus, least of all the experts confidently purporting to understand it. There was, in fact, no clinically correct response.

The situation called for the acknowledgment of risk, the weighing of costs against benefits, the clear declaration of reasonable compromises between competing interests. What happened was an exercise in societal self-ruin – in the U.S. and elsewhere in the developed world. Politicians, especially those most inclined to see themselves as objective, pro-science data-followers, ducked accountability and deferred to experts who pretended to have empirically proven answers to every question put to them. They gave us a series of policies – business shutdowns, school closures, mask mandates – that achieved at best minor slowdowns in the disease’s spread at the cost of tremendous economic destruction and social embitterment."

And of course the same applied throughout the so-called enlightened western societies, but woe betide anyone who spoke out against "the narrative"?! ~X(

User avatar
barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Posts: 4541
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:13 pm
Location: Another Planet
Gender:
Age: 73

Re: Censoring

#237 Post by barkingmad » Sun May 15, 2022 8:16 am

Re my admonishment in the C19 thread:

“4) NB: I have posted this in a more liberal/lefty pinky hue in case the red upsets you again.”

Please bring back the bright red, this colour is barely readable.

O-N is liberally sprinkled with posts, by other members, about one topic which have arrived in another topic, but you seem to have a particular gripe with anything I post which does not fall strictly within whatever guidelines/rules you are operating.

Do I detect a degree of bias in the moderation?

Does post #4102 by OFSO refer solely to the “medical effects” of Covid19?

Re posting a new topic, as it might be started by me and is the voice of dissent, I would not be in the least surprised if it got suffocated at birth, especially if it discussed Vak Scene efficacy or even Vak Scene adverse events, for which I would immediately be classified as an “anti-vaxxed” and cast out into the darkness as hope for by the ‘group’.

If folks here don’t like what I post, then why don’t they take me on in open communication instead of running to “teacher” to snitch and get me put on the naughty step because they are upset by my material.

I originally thought this forum was comprised mainly of mature former and current aviation professionals but am now realising I’ve strayed into a kindergarten.

ribrash
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Posts: 2536
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:15 pm
Location: Heswall,Wirral
Gender:

Re: Censoring

#238 Post by ribrash » Sun May 15, 2022 8:43 am

barkingmad wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 8:16 am
Re my admonishment in the C19 thread:

“4) NB: I have posted this in a more liberal/lefty pinky hue in case the red upsets you again.”

Please bring back the bright red, this colour is barely readable.

O-N is liberally sprinkled with posts, by other members, about one topic which have arrived in another topic, but you seem to have a particular gripe with anything I post which does not fall strictly within whatever guidelines/rules you are operating.

Do I detect a degree of bias in the moderation?

Does post #4102 by OFSO refer solely to the “medical effects” of Covid19?

Re posting a new topic, as it might be started by me and is the voice of dissent, I would not be in the least surprised if it got suffocated at birth, especially if it discussed Vak Scene efficacy or even Vak Scene adverse events, for which I would immediately be classified as an “anti-vaxxed” and cast out into the darkness as hope for by the ‘group’.

If folks here don’t like what I post, then why don’t they take me on in open communication instead of running to “teacher” to snitch and get me put on the naughty step because they are upset by my material.

I originally thought this forum was comprised mainly of mature former and current aviation professionals but am now realising I’ve strayed into a kindergarten.
+10 ^:)^
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F

User avatar
admin2
Capt
Capt
Posts: 275
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:13 pm
Location:

Re: Censoring

#239 Post by admin2 » Sun May 15, 2022 8:58 am

BM - I am not even going to attempt to answer most of your diatribe, except to say:
Do I detect a degree of bias in the moderation?
Yes - you detect an exceptional degree of tolerance.
upset by my material
As far as I know not one of the group is upset by that, just the mad scattering. Nor have they "run to “teacher” to snitch" but have responded to my and Alison's views on you.
I originally thought this forum was comprised mainly of mature former and current aviation professionals but am now realising I’ve strayed into a kindergarten.
A moment's study will appraise you of your mis-understanding. If you do not feel you 'fit' - feel free to 'stray' out.

Post Reply